Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Annual TOO Muzzy Hunt (Vinton Furnace): Discussion Thread

Chass

The Hills
This year I’d gladly shell out $50 for an antlerless on public. Would be nice to have the option in any given year as well
booooo totally against this. Theres a reason why they make bag limits and aren't allowing doe harvests on public ground. I'm glad they aren't just completely scooping up every dollar they can get their hands on and letting us rape the herd. Cause plenty of guys would be all for this and all for $250 bonus buck tags.

Isaacorps

Columbus
booooo totally against this. Theres a reason why they make bag limits and aren't allowing doe harvests on public ground. I'm glad they aren't just completely scooping up every dollar they can get their hands on and letting us rape the herd. Cause plenty of guys would be all for this and all for $250 bonus buck tags.
I agree, just bitching cuz I have an unfilled tag and nowhere to fill it except public lol. Yes, I will have some cheese with my whine, if you please 😂

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's all arbitrary when you consider the state as a whole, or even if we moved to a county-level management plan. I'll be hunting private surrounded by WNF this weekend. I can shoot does on this side of a manmade line, does that could come off WNF, but if they step across that "imaginary line" they have no idea exists, I can't shoot them. The bonus tags could easily be taken into consideration when managing the "whole", as could bonus buck tags.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
FYI - I called our game warden and to quote: "I'm not trying to jam guys up... it sounds like you've read the regs more than most, so I'm not splitting hairs."

If you have filled your buck tag, you are not allowed to possess a muzzleloader on public ground this weekend.

If you have filled your buck tag, and possess a valid license, you can drive deer to others, but you cannot carry a weapon per the above.

In the case of our hunting party, where we will be traveling through the public ground to reach the landlocked private ground, he said we should travel with our guns unloaded and suggested we discharge our guns before traveling back across the public ground after the hunt. He said that he'd be good with the cap removed, but to be safe in all instances, having the gun unloaded and/or the breech plug removed is recommended.

Reactions: cspot

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you can travel with the muzzle loader in a vehicle loaded with cap removed, you should be golden crossing public land as well... I get what he’s saying but I’d just remove the primer and press on.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Kind of, but not really. If you're in your truck going 70 down 70, getting a cap in the gun and a shot off at a deer looks way different than you carrying the gun in both hands while walking down an old township road through the heart of the timber. His point was taking every step you can take to avoid interpretation of your intent.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Kind of, but not really. If you're in your truck going 70 down 70, getting a cap in the gun and a shot off at a deer looks way different than you carrying the gun in both hands while walking down an old township road through the heart of the timber. His point was taking every step you can take to avoid interpretation of your intent.

Yep. Never underestimate the stupidity of anyone.

Fletch

Supporting Member
How come you guys don't have an ice fishing get together??? I'm sure someone knows of a pond loaded with perch etc.. Ice cold beer and cooking out on the ice... Where's the social director???

Reactions: Sgt Fury