Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone have advice on how to set yourself up for a first year alone hunter?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Make a small Checklist of the things you consider a Neccesity on stand. Release, grunt call, binoculars, rattling antlers, etc...
It's an empty feeling getting halfway to your stand and realizing you forgot something important.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Make a small Checklist of the things you consider a Neccesity on stand. Release, grunt call, binoculars, rattling antlers, etc...
It's an empty feeling getting halfway to your stand and realizing you forgot something important.

like your release.....:smiley_depressive:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I forgot my whole damn bow at the house once.

Drove to the spot. Changed clothes. Smoked up. Put on my boots... DOH. :smiley_blackeye:

Ohiohunter95

Rest In Peace Zach
Sorry its been awhile since ive been on.. how can i check if my broadheads are flying as straight as the field tips accurately?? and no release needed for me, I shoot purely instinctive over here haha.

Diablo54

Outside
you need to shoot em. have your dad watch while you shoot. you will now if they fly funny.

BTW. What bow are you shooting/poundage/field tip weight/broadhead weight?

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Get in your stand in the dark and leave your stand in the dark...Learn how to sit all day.. Once you hit the ground, the ball game is over.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Make sure you have someone dependable to drop off and pick you up... And have a plan for pick up. Like when they are arriving two electric poles till they arrive to that spot honk horn two times. That way you know its clear and haul balls to the road.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Make sure you have someone dependable to drop off and pick you up... And have a plan for pick up. Like when they are arriving two electric poles till they arrive to that spot honk horn two times. That way you know its clear and haul balls to the road.

lmao so it's kind of like coon hunting.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV

Forget about all the fads..Understand just One concept and you will start getting chances at mature bucks..year after year.."Every deer is different but all deer are the same"...If you can grasp this concept and understand it..you will become a better hunter. Because i understand this concept..I will take a mature buck this season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
To echo what Mountaineer said, I will add "Every deer is different but all deer are the same. They are all the same because there is always an element of luck involved." Doesn't matter if you do everything right, you are at the right place at the right time, and downwind of the deer, if you don't get the right shot, then you didn't get the element of luck you needed. Most frustrating and rewarding thing to hunt deer at times! Have a safe and successful season buddy!