Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arizona Elk Journal.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
If you think you missed start checking pine trees. In 2009 my buddy shot at a calf in Idaho. We all heard a smack that sounded like an arrow breaking bone. Well turns out he hit a small pine tree.

I'm sure you got him though. Keep us posted!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No arrow and no blood. I covered that hillside for 400 yards for 5 hours. Followed every track I saw. After the shot I didn't hear the hollow box sound like a whitetail. More like a slice sound. Almost like when a broadhead hisses through the air but real short and loud. A quick and loud "sip" sound almost.

There were about 6 bulls and 40 cows in different groups on that ridge point. They went down further over the ridge probably to bed. They werent buggered. The point of that ridge was covered in beds and runs and scat so they've been in there a while. I'll be back up there tomorrow waiting for daylight.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Shoot your bow at camp. Figure out if it was you or equipment.

58.5 yards using the 60 pin. No way i missed that elk unless a small branch i didn't see caught it. But i think i would have herd that.

20190920_144729.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You are used to hearing a deer pop at 20 yards. If the shot felt good you hit him. You’d have heard it hit limbs.

That's a very good point brock. I'm sure it would sound different. Especially if the two blade with bleeders went between ribs. The sound to me sounded like a broadhead slicing dirty hair. Here's a good analogy. Like running a knife down a leather strop. But way louder and quick.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I can tell you this too, dry western soil will suck up blood and make it completely disappear quick! About the only place it’s visible is on blowdowns sometimes.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I can tell you this too, dry western soil will suck up blood and make it completely disappear quick! About the only place it’s visible is on blowdowns sometimes.

Noticed that with piss. Piss soaked dirt in the sun looks the same shade as the dirt in the shadows.