Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baiting Mature Bucks.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Yes, I need that. Thanks for bringing it up on here. There's mass acorns all over on my mom's grave. Had to pick it up by hand and got two grocery bags full of it. There was still more to pick up, but fugg, lol.

Make sure you buy the right one! Theres ones made for walnuts and apples, then smaller ones for acorns! Research the different sizes! I can fill up 2 bushel sacks of apples in 10 minutes with those suckers

Reactions: MoonLab

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Make sure you buy the right one! Theres ones made for walnuts and apples, then smaller ones for acorns! Research the different sizes! I can fill up 2 bushel sacks of apples in 10 minutes with those suckers
Ok, thanks. Fugg yeah! Can't wait to try em

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Corn grows in more places than Ohio.
We drove from Lima and hour south to I70. Then drove to middle of Missouri in early July. Most fields looked about the same all the way across: unplanted up to about a foot tall. I want to say July 9-11 time frame. It isn't just a small patch which will have low yields this year. Those are 3 states heavy in agriculture.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We drove from Lima and hour south to I70. Then drove to middle of Missouri in early July. Most fields looked about the same all the way across: unplanted up to about a foot tall. I want to say July 9-11 time frame. It isn't just a small patch which will have low yields this year. Those are 3 states heavy in agriculture.

The USDA estimates the corn harvest will only be 3.9% lower than last year. Granted that's something like 6 billion bushels of corn. But in the scope of things that's minimal.

I think a better question is why are taxpayers subsidizing an industry where roughly 60% of it is exported to foreign countries and the 40% used domestically is primarily for ethanol production. Taxpayers are shelling out tens of billions of dollars each year in federally subsidized crop insurance and other subsidies. A very minute amount of this corn crop is used for human consumption. What's used to feed livestock is primarily a byproduct of ethanol production and just a cheap way to dispose of waste. That's why I always laugh when they start touting the old "if you're not hungry thank a farmer" slogan. If you're growing corn or soybeans you're not feeding anyone but your family.

Reactions: Schu72 and Wildlife

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I've been grabbing them as they fall a couple times a week. The deer have them gone by morning. I need to get some trees planted back there...

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
IMG_20190821_080313651.jpg
IMG_20190823_072430328.jpg

Consistent fella!

djohn9713

Apologies if this was earlier in the thread, but I didn't see it. What's preferred for a bait pile - apples or corns?

Chass

The Hills
I hate when deer and turkeys run together. So hard to beat that combo with a bow.
Just wait for em to line up with each other, chop the turkeys head off right before you send it thru the deers pump house. Or throw a second arrow on the string. Or you could just be quicker....
Maybe it's the 8 foot long shooting stick, is that in the way?

Reactions: giles