Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Kody's team played up in Chester, WV today. I'm fired up. Kody hit a two hopper to the fence in RC that drove in two runs. The next time up he hit a ground rule double to LC that I thought was gone when he first hit it. He just turned on it so well. I know exactly how that hit had to feel in his hands.

Guys, I'm proud of him. He's really starting to turn the corner. I'm his worst critic and I'm starting to see desire in him. I'm telling you, he stroked both balls today. Solid line shots to each gap.
10 more feet and that second one was gone!

All in all he had 3 RBI today in a 7-4 win.

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ok, so Jesse and I have a friendly wager. Starting tomorrow the Reds host the Pirates for a 3 game set. The Reds are up 3 games on the Bucs in the standings and this is a huge series.
So, if the Reds win I'll pose (sexily of course) in Reds attire. If the Bucs win, Jesse has to flaunt the Black N Gold.

Go Bucs!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Kody's team played up in Chester, WV today. I'm fired up. Kody hit a two hopper to the fence in RC that drive Jan two runs. The next time up he hit a ground rule double to LC that I thought was gone when he first hit it. He just turned on it so well. I know exactly how that hit had to feel in his hands.

Guys, I'm proud of him. He's really starting to turn the corner. I'm his worst critic and I'm starting to see desire in him. I'm telling you, he stroked both balls today. Solid line shots to each gap.
10 more feet and that second one was gone!

All in all he had 3 RBI today in a 7-4 win.

That has to be a great feeling for you Mike!!!

FWIW Mike and I have entered a friendly little wager on the upcoming Reds/Pirates series this week. Loser has to pony up with a pic in the other teams gear and post it here and on Twitter for humiliation! :smiley_clap:

*Edit: You were on it buddy! LOL!!! GO REDLEGS!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That has to be a great feeling for you Mike!!!

FWIW Mike and I have entered a friendly little wager on the upcoming Reds/Pirates series this week. Loser has to pony up with a pic in the other teams gear and post it here and on Twitter for humiliation! :smiley_clap:

*Edit: You were on it buddy! LOL!!! GO REDLEGS!!!

What the heck were you thinking, Mike??? lmao

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's Tuesday's matchup:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338864536.861325.jpg

Schu72

Streetsboro
The kids pulled one out tonight. They were down 2 in the bottom of the last inning and we scored 3. Ethan led things off with a single and our #8 hitter drove in the go ahead run with 2 down. Ethan caught 2 fly balls and turned one into an unassited double play. I was a proud dad tonight. BTW our firstbaseman and #3 hitter broke his thumb during the last day of school festivites. That will make things interesting.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Damn, I wish we could watch these games together with a cooler full of beer. That would make it even more interesting.

Damn straight!!!

We have pictures and the last game of the season for the little ones tonight. It has been a fun, but trying at times, experience to start my coaching with 6-7-8 year olds. It made me feel pretty good the other night when the nephews of my first little league coach asked me to help with the all-star team. I grew playing on the same fields those guys call home and their uncle and grandfather taught me a ton from 6-10. In fact, their uncle is the reason I moved from second to catcher when we moved to kid pitch. Slowly but surely, I'm going to work my way to my goal of being head baseball coach at my old high school. Baby steps!!!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jesse, when you acheive that goal of being a HS coach, we better set up a weekend DH. You have 8 years to reach that goal. Klay is going into the 5th grade this year. When he graduates I'm done! That'll put me at 20 years as the head coach. Unless I have a serious change of heart at that point, I'll be ready to pack it in and travel. I've always wanted to head to Florida fro spring training games, but have never been able to do it because we start at the same time.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If, and a big IF, I get lucky, things may be on the right track. There is a group of junior high boys right now that can win state and their coach is my old high school coach. He was the best coach our high school ever had and rumor is, he wants his old job back. My second cousin is part of this group and with the ground work laid this year, there is a decent chance I could get a job coaching JV next year. If I do and my old coach does take his job back, I figure he'll do what he can with this group and leave. That means in 5-6-7 years, the job could be open again and if I have that many years of experience, I would think I'd stand an outside chance of getting that job. My goal was to get it by the time I was 40, so that works well. I'll just do what I can and hope for the best...

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
There is no doubt your heart and head is in it. I appreciate every minute you've spent helping me this season. Some people are players and should never be coaches (Me), and then their is those who just seem to be naturals at Coaching and that would definitely be you. I believe you are heading in the right direction and surrounding yourself with the people that can insure your chances of reaching your goal.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've always felt the old adage "those who can, do and those who can't, teach" applies well to me. I was privy to some outstanding coaching growing up, attending several Marietta College camps in my teen years. I was a decent ball player, but was far from being a 5 tool player. So I have enough playing experience to teach from, but the coaching I received sticks in my head like it was yesterday and that is what I feel will make me a decent coach. I have a lot of learning left to do, but I feel the foundation I have now is already strong enough to work at the JV level. I feel my biggest strength right now is talent evaluation and player management when it comes to lineups and game time decisions...