Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've decided I am not cut out for coaching young boys. They have lost the last two games due to repeatedly making the same mistakes. They don't seem to care if they win or lose...and I am just not used to that. I guess I forget what it's like to be 7 or 8. :)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've decided I am not cut out for coaching young boys. They have lost the last two games due to repeatedly making the same mistakes. They don't seem to care if they win or lose...and I am just not used to that. I guess I forget what it's like to be 7 or 8. :)

I told Aaron the same thing last night. I need to be coaching kids who want to play, listen, and have a skill set to work with. Stopping my outfields from chasing each other in the middle of an inning is not coaching. Thankfully we have 4-5 boys that are coachable, but even they have their moments!!!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Me Too Brock, we finished our regular season last nite with a win which put us at 7-5. We have a small 4 team double elimination tournment starting Friday evening and ending early Saturday. I hope to finish 2nd but its highly possible to be in 3rd. Only about 4 of my 11 boys know whether we win or lose. I guess the good thing is their enjoying themselves and I definitely see a huge improvement in the majority of them. I can honestly say I lost my temper last nite when our kid that is on medication threw his glove and hit me in the side of the head when I wasn't looking. Im really looking forward to Allstars and Jesse getting to continue to work with my boy.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sometimes HS kids ar ethe same way.

That's pathetic. It's only going to get worse in the future, too. One of the biggest movements in "sissy-fying" America is teaching our youths that everybody wins. In many of the youth sports leagues, and even in phys ed classes, they don't even keep score anymore. It's absurd. If you don't teach a kid that winning is better than losing... than succeeding is better than failing... that you don't win unless you put forth the effort... then our society will eventually lose the desire to succeed, and the society will suffer. People don't understand that sports are more than sports... For many kids, sports play a huge role in building the foundation for the rest of their lives.

Schu72

Streetsboro
That's pathetic. It's only going to get worse in the future, too. One of the biggest movements in "sissy-fying" America is teaching our youths that everybody wins. In many of the youth sports leagues, and even in phys ed classes, they don't even keep score anymore. It's absurd. If you don't teach a kid that winning is better than losing... than succeeding is better than failing... that you don't win unless you put forth the effort... then our society will eventually lose the desire to succeed, and the society will suffer. People don't understand that sports are more than sports... For many kids, sports play a huge role in building the foundation for the rest of their lives.

Couldn't agree more.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I too agree with Jim. It isn't if you win or lose...its if you win. Work hard, pay attention, do what you are told...you win. Scratch in the sand, swing like Babe Ruth, watch the ball roll past vs. putting fear aside and getting in front of it....you lose.

My third baseman has natural talent. He doesn't care. The fact that he has NO work ethic probably means he will have a tattoo across his throat that says "Drug adict, thief, and unemployable". I now have three kids on the team that will do what they are told to the best of their ability, and one of them is the little blind boy! I have one kid that I would give my bank account to have the opportunity to beat...and since I'm willing to pay so much, I'd like to beat his mom too. She will not discipline the brat, and sets up in the bleachers mouthing the umpire, because her son is an idiot! Honest to God, I'd almost rather cover the entire field with the three boys that listen...that would keep the others from screwing things up.

I had to remind myself, and tell my assistant coach the other day what Cotty said earlier - we are still dealing with kids that need weeding out, and thankfully, many of them will quit after this season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I admire you guys that have the care, dedication, and patience to coach these young kids. I'm sure my time will come someday, but at this very moment I think I'd go absolutely crazy trying to do what you guys are doing.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You missed the point...I don't have what it takes. One of these lil fuggers is gonna wind up with a boot in his ass.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Guys, I'm really excited about Kody all of a sudden.
Both my boys played today at different locations. I went to Kody's game. It was in Chester, wv again. He went 2-3 with 3 RBI and must be seeing the ball really well right now. First hit was a line drive into LF an te second was a bleeder over Ss, but it's a hit in the books.
Like I told Jesse, I think his testicles finally dropped.

My wife went to Klay's game. They remained undefeated an he was 1-1 with a double to RC. He walked his first two times up and scored all 3 times on.

I'm a proud papa and glad the boys are contributing. Sorry to keep bragging, but that's what this thread is for right? Share the good and the bad.

matt hougan

Dayton area
Nathan has a game tomorrow down in Mason. This weekend we have a softball tournament in Columbus and the following weekend we will return for a 9U baseball tournament. Last weekend Gabby played in a 10U softball tournament in Urbana. We have never expected these girls to win much of anything. They battled and took second place. The amount of improvement these girls have shown since the beginning of the season is staggering........they are way smarter than boys.

Buckmaster

Portage
Wow, we got schooled last night at softball. We lost 12-3 and now are 2-2. Our opponents were from a higher age group though. We were out classed and out played last night. I'm still impressed with the other team. They were really good. They caught two fly balls and even turned a double play. We play again Saturday morning. At least now I know how to gauge our competition.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339168502.010442.jpg

My skin is still crawling!!!