Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If he makes no attempt to swing, then the batter is awarded first base. However if the hands are hit in the process of swinging, then it is called a strike (not a foul). The hands are not part of the bat, they are part of the body...

Same goes for any part of the body that gets hit in the strike zone; it is a strike. Say I get fooled with by a curveball and lean forward putting my head in the strike zone where I get plunked. The correct call is a strike....

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
If he makes no attempt to swing, then the batter is awarded first base. However if the hands are hit in the process of swinging, then it is called a strike (not a foul). The hands are not part of the bat, they are part of the body...

Same goes for any part of the body that gets hit in the strike zone; it is a strike. Say I get fooled with by a curveball and lean forward putting my head in the strike zone where I get plunked. The correct call is a strike....

Mike, do you agree with Jesse? If not, why?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good point, I left that detail out! When the ball hits the batter's hands while the batter is making no attempt to strike at the ball.

That is a beaned batter (HBP) and he is awarded first base. That's a judgement call because a lot of times umps hear the bat and assume just a foul ball. Also, people always want to argue "the hand is part of the bat" back and forth all day long. In my opinion though, if no attempt to swing is made and the batter is hit on the hand, it is a plunk. The only way the hand is part of the bat is if the batter is in fact swinging.
Knob of the bat? Foul ball. Top of the hand? Plunk

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mike, do you agree with Jesse? If not, why?

I posted my response before reading his, so I guess it's safe to say I agree.

He touched on another grey area. If a kid leans into a curveball, or makes NO attempt to avoid a pitch, always gets debated. In my opinion, if the ball is in the batter's box and the kid stands there and takes it on the shoulder, he should be awarded first base. That is regardless if he tries to move. He is entitled to the batter's box. However, if he leans into one then the pitch could be called a ball or strike and the batter is not awarded first.
Batters are taught to just turn the shoulder away from a curve. If you get plunked on the back without moving you should be awarded first. I always here coaches yelling, "he made no attempt to move!" Yes, but your pitcher shouldn't have thrown such a bad pitch. Lol

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I so desperately want to have a Primanti samich!!!

Here's what we need to do... you need to come on up during this summer (weekend, weekday, whatever...) and hit PNC with me. Maybe we can even get Huck to tag along. Bring up Greg, Jamie, or whoever wants to jump in on the way. Heck, we can make it a TOO outing and get scoreboard recognition! Maybe RD could join in since he's so close in Washington, Pa. You would love the park if you haven't seen it and we could have a blast.
Maybe we could even set it up around a Reds game so we can talk shit.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Here's what we need to do... you need to come on up during this summer (weekend, weekday, whatever...) and hit PNC with me. Maybe we can even get Huck to tag along. Bring up Greg, Jamie, or whoever wants to jump in on the way. Heck, we can make it a TOO outing and get scoreboard recognition! Maybe RD could join in since he's so close in Washington, Pa. You would love the park if you haven't seen it and we could have a blast.
Maybe we could even set it up around a Reds game so we can talk shit.

Cough.... Reds 2 out of 3.... cough.... :smiley_clap:

RRJJ

Removed by Request.

He touched on another grey area. If a kid leans into a curveball, or makes NO attempt to avoid a pitch, always gets debated. In my opinion, if the ball is in the batter's box and the kid stands there and takes it on the shoulder, he should be awarded first base. That is regardless if he tries to move. He is entitled to the batter's box. However, if he leans into one then the pitch could be called a ball or strike and the batter is not awarded first.
Batters are taught to just turn the shoulder away from a curve. If you get plunked on the back without moving you should be awarded first. I always here coaches yelling, "he made no attempt to move!" Yes, but your pitcher shouldn't have thrown such a bad pitch. Lol

I had to explain to the coach that the hands ARE not a part of the bat! I ignored it the first time he said it, but then he just kept on saying it. Finally, I ask him if the bat was touching his leg would his leg become a part of the bat. He said: "Well, no!" His arguments was "I've always been told the hands are part of the bat." Well, I'm sorry someone told you a myth and you keep perpetuating the myth.

Anyhow, I was curious as to why and when the myth was started. Not only did the M.S. coach repeat it, but the H.S. coach who was there said it also.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had to explain to the coach that the hands ARE not a part of the bat! I ignored it the first time he said it, but then he just kept on saying it. Finally, I ask him if the bat was touching his leg would his leg become a part of the bat. He said: "Well, no!" His arguments was "I've always been told the hands are part of the bat." Well, I'm sorry someone told you a myth and you keep perpetuating the myth.

Anyhow, I was curious as to why and when the myth was started. Not only did the M.S. coach repeat it, but the H.S. coach who was there said it also.

LOL
It's funny how myths carry on for generations in baseball. Sounds to me like you made the right call.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I wouldn't exactly call it a myth... It's just that whoever told him that left out the most important part... The hands are part of the bat if the batter is swinging at the ball.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I wouldn't exactly call it a myth... It's just that whoever told him that left out the most important part... The hands are part of the bat if the batter is swinging at the ball.

Still not true, JBrown! If the pitch hits the batter's hands (or any part of the body) while he is striking at the ball, the proper call is a dead ball, strike.

The hands are always a part of the body!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just finished looking all through the 2012 rules book. No mention of hands and bat anywhere. As often as this happens you'd think it would be in there somewhere. Unless I missed it.

So you say it's a deadball even if the batter swings. What if he fouls it straight up off his hands? It can't be caught for an out? I've seen a lot of crazy things over the years, but that's never happened. It could though. That would make for a never ending argument and a lot of pain!

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I just finished looking all through the 2012 rules book. No mention of hands and bat anywhere. As often as this happens you'd think it would be in there somewhere. Unless I missed it.

So you say it's a deadball even if the batter swings. What if he fouls it straight up off his hands? It can't be caught for an out? I've seen a lot of crazy things over the years, but that's never happened. It could though. That would make for a never ending argument and a lot of pain!

Yes, the ball always becomes dead immediately when a pitch hits the batter. If the batter is swinging it becomes a dead ball, strike.

Thus, if the pitch hits the hands (or any body part) during the swing, the ball is dead and the batter is penalized a strike.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes, the ball always becomes dead immediately when a pitch hits the batter. If the batter is swinging it becomes a dead ball, strike.

Thus, if the pitch hits the hands (or any body part) during the swing, the ball is dead and the batter is penalized a strike.

You're absolutely right, JJ. The MLB rules touch on this scenario in a few sections... But the end result is the same... If the batter is making an attempt to hit the ball, and the ball hits any part of the batter, it's a strike - dead ball.

--

Mike, I agree with you that the batter should be allowed to take a pitch and be awarded first base... But according to the MLB rules, that's not the case...

The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put

out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when—

(a) Four “balls” have been called by the umpire;

Rule 6.08(a) Comment: A batter who is entitled to first base because of a base on balls must go to

first base and touch the base before other base runners are forced to advance. This applies when bases

are full and applies when a substitute runner is put into the game.

If, in advancing, the base runner thinks there is a play and he slides past the base before or after

touching it he may be put out by the fielder tagging him. If he fails to touch the base to which he is

entitled and attempts to advance beyond that base he may be put out by tagging him or the base he

missed.

(b) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball

is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to

avoid being touched by the ball;

If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike,

whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone

when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid

being touched.

APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a pitched ball which does

not entitle him to first base, the ball is dead and no runner may advance.

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Kody finally broke out tonight! He's been swinging the bat really well, but just wasn't connecting in his first two games this year.
He stroked 3 singles today and drove in 2 runs. A solid line drive into RC, a line drive up the middle, and a blooper into shallow left. Hopefully this builds his confidence. Its his first year at the Bronco level and it's games like this that can boost his morale.