Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We lost last night, 12-11. Good game though. I have a couple of kids I would like to beat...no dad at home, and their mothers try to make them take a time out....all they need is an ass beating. I told one of 'em last night I was going to beat his ass...he told his mom. :)

I hate to sound like a typical coach, but I am really proud of the way Mason has progressed. He's been working really hard and has made big improvements in fielding and hitting. He hit two doubles, and a 3 run homer to tie with two outs in the last inning. It does make ya say "That's my boy!"...hehe.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods job Schu! Keep up the food work with the boys guys!

Klay's 10 year old team is 7-0 right now and I'm really proud of Klay. He's been stroking the ball. At Follansbee, WVa on Tuesday he drove a triple in the RC gap that one hopped the fence. Little bigger got some pop. Lol
He stays inside the ball nice.

Kody's 11-12 year old team is .500 right now. He is still a work in progress, but is showing signs of becoming a more aggressive hitter. He's the young one on the team and got some mound time at East Liverpool the other night.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337872138.040610.jpg

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
Picked up some catcher's gear for the kids. They are both showing some interest and the league equipment is trashed. Figured there are worse things I could spend $125 bucks on. It won't make them play any better, but it sure sparked their desire. Plus I figure I can get about 50% of my investment back when they are done.

Buckmaster

Portage
Game #1 is tonight for our girls. They were really hitting the ball well in last night's practice. Let's see if they can carry it into tonight.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang, Unioto is in my neck of the woods. Didn't realize they were good this year.

BTW, the pitching machine we are using in coaches pitch this year has turned out to be a blessing! After a person learns to use it, it is very consistent...far more so than I at first thought it would be. Some coaches haven't taken the time to learn to use it, but a quick tutorial and they can get the ball in the strike zone too. I'd say if any of you are gonna be helping with coaches pitch, you might want your league to look into it.

lung buster

hocking county
My sons team won again tonight and are now 9-1. The one loss really sucked because they went 17-0 last year and they were trying to do it again. Both my son and daughter have 2 games left and then its tourney time.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Dang, Unioto is in my neck of the woods. Didn't realize they were good this year.

BTW, the pitching machine we are using in coaches pitch this year has turned out to be a blessing! After a person learns to use it, it is very consistent...far more so than I at first thought it would be. Some coaches haven't taken the time to learn to use it, but a quick tutorial and they can get the ball in the strike zone too. I'd say if any of you are gonna be helping with coaches pitch, you might want your league to look into it.

Are you using a pitching machine for practice only; or for games?

What the make and model? Is powered by AC or DC? Our league looked at them this year but we opted for home run fences instead. Hoping to make the purchase next year...

Buckmaster

Portage
Our girls won 19-8 last night despite making way too many errors. They made up for hitting though. We're now 1-0 with our next game Tuesday against some stiff competition.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Kody's team lost last night. I'm gonna kick his ass! He walked and k'd twice. Both k's were looking after fouling off a couple pitches in each at bat. Nothing burns me up more than taking a called 3rd strike. Ugh!!!

Kody and Klay are both back in the saddle on Saturday at 3 and 5. I'll be burnt to a crisp. Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Are you using a pitching machine for practice only; or for games?

What the make and model? Is powered by AC or DC? Our league looked at them this year but we opted for home run fences instead. Hoping to make the purchase next year...

Lousiville Slugger, UPM45. They are relatively cheap, under 200. The league bought 2 of them. We weren't going to be able to use them for every practice, just the games, so most of the coaches bought their own. I did as well because I didn't want the boys to see it for the first time in a game. They are really simple in design, just a spring loaded arm that whips the ball to the plate.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We play again this evening, a make-up game. Friday evening games for a guy that owns a pizza joint are un-handy. Gonna be a warm one too. We played one inning against this team the other day. I will shamefully admit I hope our boys bring it tonight, this is a good team and their coaches are more aggressive with running the bases than is prescribed by the league policy. I'm down with that... I told our base coaches after seeing the other team's base running, to send our boys unless they don't have a prayer of making it. We are gonna make those lil buggers earn every out, throwing errors be danged! :) IN IT TO WIN IT.

Any of you guys ever had kids ask or volunteer to sit the bench? I had three of them do it in the last game. Ticked me off pretty bad, embarrassed one dad so bad he jerked his kid off the bench, ripped his tail and went on home. I don't ever remember a kid wanting to ride the pine when I was a kid - we would have been ashamed to suck, some of these kids enjoy it.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
We just have 11 boys so only 1 has to sit each inning and they still get to bat. I usually sit the younger boys but I sat my own when he deliberately walked away from me while I was explaining something to him. Were 6-3 but getting better each game. We play tomorrow morning and I have to work so Im hoping Jesse can make it and keep them in line.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Brock, at the younger levels I hear kids ask all the time. You get them before they are weeded out. The kids asking to sit won't play later on.

It's like junior high football. Kids come out in 7th grade for the first time. Some do very well while others hide in the back when the coach is looking for tkids to sub in. The hiders pack it in after one year.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I suspected that, Mike.

We won tonight. The boys did pretty well. The issue I am seeing and don't know how to correct is they tend to run the score up and then get bored. Luckily, so far they have been running the score up high enough to get them by once they get lazy. Once again though, I will shamelessly brag on my son. 3 at bats, 2 home runs (clean, not on errors) and a double. His fielding has been exceptional too. This kid WANTS to be good, and has really been working at it, it shows. He had to do a "memory book" for school. I read through it today. One question was "What are you're goals"... He answered that he wanted to be the world's best baseball player, deer hunter, and fisherman. Pretty lofty goals, but he does do what he's told. Dang, I'm proud of that boy!:) I'm enjoying coaching his team far more than I'd imagined I would!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Me too! I'm gonna have to find him a better coach than me if he continues to "want" this baseball thing. I don't think he is overly-talented, but dang if he doesn't have a work ethic when it comes to baseball, or shooting bows....and hunting. I swear, I usually freeze out and am ready to quit before him.