Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

Just got a few pics from one of the team mom's for Allen's HS team.

1622659814691.png

1622659835555.png

1622659872283.png

1622659855679.png

1622660027397.png

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had a little league coach that taught us to step straight back from the plate to avoid an inside pitch. Turning your back to the ball does nothing but make a bigger target and you lose sight of the field and ball. The guy was a genius. I was never hit by a pitch that I wanted to avoid all the way through high school. Mason, for whatever reason, would never bail backwards. He had the lowest batting average and highest on base percentage his freshman and sophomore years... most of those bases were earned with a bruise. I’ve never seen a kid hit by so many pitches. Idiot would just stand there flat footed and take it to the ribs. Teach him to go straight back if it’s a pitch to avoid.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Great pictures Big Holla!

Red, I'm glad he wasn't hurt, just scared. I dont know the answer but I am glad to read Brock comments about just stepping straight back. That's how I was taught and how I have been teaching them this year. It only makes sense for the least amount of movement and in 5he most efficient manner. Hopefully it's a short lived fear.

Dustin, damn dude, that's wrong but I laughed like crazy!

OO2

In the Uplands
Are they throwing curveballs, sliders yet? Could make for some interesting ABs if so.

Interesting to hear the step out approach, wonder if that would lead to a bunch of swings pulling off the ball if afraid of getting hit? I was taught to tuck the head, turn shoulders, and drop the bat head to take the free base

Either way gets the job done just gotta find the way that is most comfortable and leads to the most confidence.

I found a couple YouTube videos on the subject, sorry to beat a dead horse if the issue has been resolved:

(they have some fluff but include some useful tips)

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Progress tonight. He ground out sharply to second base and struck out swinging twice. I'll take that. They lost 5-4. He did make some great plays in the field. He was pissed all way home but I talked to him about staying focused in the field and encouraging teammates. I didnt realize it, but 12 of the 14 kids on the team, including greyson, will still be in this age group next year. I kinda wondered why we were so much smaller than damn near every other team

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Tys 10u team dropped to 3-6 with another loss that slipped through their fingers, 12-11, in the last at bat last night. I couldn't be happier with the continued aggressive batting and results, 2 games in a row now, and how they played defensively. Game was decided by just a handful of missed opportunities to maintain the lead. We had 2 of our pitchers out due to the game being moved from Thurs. to Friday.

Ty pitched lights out and struck out 6 that faced him with one walk. He's throwing hard when needed and is learning to back off when a strike is needed. I am really really enjoying taking him to the top of the "pissed off" bell curve and holding him there and watching him perform under pressure. Sure I take him too far sometimes and he gets upset, but performance under pressure and controlling emotion is something I'm hoping he can learn as early as possible and I feel he's at that time to start. He went 1-3 batting with a HBP, single, pop out.

Off to wild man Wyatt's tball in 45mins.

Busy day yesterday for Allen and his high school team. Allen took the mound in the first game and pitched a shutout complete 7 inning game, winning 6-0.

The second and final game was for the district title and Allen played 2nd for the game. The Algonac Muskrats just couldn’t catch up and ended up losing 4-8 against the team they beat twice in the regular season.

Final stats for him pitching 6 wins, 2 losses and 2 saves, 63.2 innings pitched, ERA 1.759 and WHIP 1.099. Batting average was .205, fielding percentage .954 with 76 put outs.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Mother nature is not playing nice. Myles had a makeup game last night that got lightning delayed, but were able to finish. He did great at SS and at the plate, walked away smiling, but they lost by 2.

Another round of gully washers just went through, both of their games are cancelled tonight.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Our Tuesday game got washed out. Had an away game yesterday. We won 3-1. Greyson had 2 walks and a strikeout at the plate. He played 3B, SS, and 2B. I only remember him getting a popup hit to him which he caught. No grounders.

Makeup game tonight. We won 2-1. He played 3B the first 2 innings with no action. He pitched the next 2 innings and was dealing. He struck out 6 of the 7 batters. The lone runner hit one off the end of the bat to the third base side and it died halfway to 3rd with no throw. He played SS last 2 innings. He knocked down a grounder up the middle, and recovered in time to gun the runner down. It had the crowd cheering.

He only got up twice. First AB he fouled off 3 pitches and struck out on a full count pitch in the dirt. He walked on 5 pitches his last AB

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I wasn't present, but Greyson's team lost last night 3-2 after leading 2-0 until last 2 innings. He started pitcher. Gave up 1 run on a fly ball that ended up a homerun after errors, lol. Otherwise, 3 strikeouts over 2 innings, 0 walks, 1 hit. In 2 AB's he had a walk and pop out to SS. He has a game tonight and Thursday, then Tournament next week

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Exciting 9-9 tie tonight at Port Clinton. Play them again on Thursday at home as our last game and I look forward to getting that one back.

One bad, 7 run inning, due to the meltdown again of pitcher #2 let them back in it during the 4th. Ty pitched well again, gave up 1 run and walked 3-4 more batters than normal during his 2 innings but he hung in there and did his work. He went 3-3, 1 single and 2 doubles. Our bats were hot, but sooo many missed opportunities like kid not stepping on home plate, steal throw C to 3rd was $ but 3rd baseman was sleeping, 2 easy infield pop-ups dropped.

2 more left.

22296.jpeg
22295.jpeg

Last edited:
Gotta love BASEBALL!!

Last night was Allen's HS baseball banquet where they hi-light all the boys who played this year and give out a few awards. The best part while sitting there waiting for them to get to the Allen's name was watching all the boys we had on Little League walk up as young men. Hearing their season's accomplishments was great as Algonac's baseball future is bright. Allen had several accomplishments we were unaware of in that he tied the school records for total wins for the regular season and total innings pitched. He not only achieved Academic All District but also All Region and All STATE!! To think we couldn't be more happy with all of that he ended up winning the school's Cy Young award for lowest ERA during the regular season/conference at 1.976 ERA! I could NOT be more proud of him as I type this out this morning. He's got a heart of gold for the sport and his hard work will guide him in the rest of his life's journeys.

1623847505921.png

1623847517793.png

1623847534313.png

1623847545388.png

Something no one in our family has accomplished til now, his name will forever be on display at Algonac High School.

1623847557347.png

1623848053112.png

1623848071177.png