Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Battle of the dirt cheap .22s Mossberg Plinkster vs Savage 64F

Battle of the dirt cheap 22 rifles..Which one?

• Mossberg 702 plinkster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 22s are for wussy's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Is the Marlin more expensive? If not I'd go with the Marlin tube feed..... don't have any, experience with the others.... but the Marlin lasts forever with little maintenance....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Never messed with either of those. I have shot Ruger, Remington, Daisy, and Marlin. Toss up with the Ruger and Marlin model 60 just depends what your price range is I guess with those 2

Oh and the after market accessories. You can get a ton for the Ruger not so much for the Marlin lol.

I am not completely against the Tube fed model 60 Marlin..The mossberg an Savage are running about the same price..110 to say 135$...The model 60 marlin is only cheap if you get a wood stock(aint a fan).After that your talkin camo stock an blued barrel almost 200$...What about the Remington 597???

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I am not completely against the Tube fed model 60 Marlin..The mossberg an Savage are running about the same price..110 to say 135$...The model 60 marlin is only cheap if you get a wood stock(aint a fan).After that your talkin camo stock an blued barrel almost 200$...What about the Remington 597???

I got a Marlin model 60 with camo synthetic stock out the door for $150

You could wait and see if the Savage goes on sale at Fin Feather & Fur I think this past spring and last fall they had them on sale for $119 with a scope.

Your missing one the marlin 795 they can be had for around 100 bucks sometimes less when marlin has their rebates. They are tack drivers and very reliable. They are built on the model 60 action but have a ten round detachable box mag. Never been a ruger fan. My remington 597 is nice and is just as accurate as my marlin 795. The 597 costs a little more and the only reason id tell someone to buy one over the 795 is if they wanted a 25 round mag. There are not large round count mags on the market for the Marlin savage and mossburg so if thats important to you get a 10/22 or a 597. I like the savage 702 but ive never shot a mossburg.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I have had both the marlin tube fed and the 10/22. I like the 18 shots you got with the marlin but I really like the 10/22. It is alot of fun to shoot. .22s are kinda wussy but they are cheap to shoot. They are also a great way to learn or relearn good shooting habits. I have a savage 7mm mag that all but teaches you to flinch. It kicks like a mule, after any real bench time shooting that I try and finish with the .22 to just make sure I am not flinching. You will not be sorry no matter which one you get, they are a blast to shoot!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My utility piece used to be a Marlin 60. Still have it although I loaned it to my Dad a year or so ago and haven't seen it for awhile. I have a couple lever actions 22's as well and a single shot for future use by the kids. Used to have a Viper for a minute but ended up selling it. Only bought it to help out a friend. I always used to want a 10/22, but now that I have my 17hmr I really don't have a need for a 22 at all. I do know some guys that have shot literally 10's of thousands of rounds thru their Marlin 60s and had no issues other than the need for an occasional cleaning.

If you want to talk about accuracy, you are probably wasting your time. Any of these will shoot as accurately as 99% of the shooters can make them shoot. Bolt/semi/lever won't matter. I doubt you find someone that is going to shoot well enough to show you the accuracy differences between them. Most of these are more accurate than the guy squeezing the trigger can make them perform.

I got a Marlin model 60 with camo synthetic stock out the door for $150

You could wait and see if the Savage goes on sale at Fin Feather & Fur I think this past spring and last fall they had them on sale for $119 with a scope.
150 for the marlin would be the ticket...The savage is 109$ no scope at woodbury right now...An I was wrong in my first post the 22 I fell in love with was a 1952 Remington 550 model I think..I dont think I will find one of them very easily
Spend the extra and buy a Ruger 10/22

IN the long run you will preferr it IMO

John
They are great guns....No 870's,glocks or 10/22s for me..There all great guns but I just like something a little different ..Plus there is wayy to much aftermarket 10/22 stuff out..I would get caught up in all that for sure
Your missing one the marlin 795 they can be had for around 100 bucks sometimes less when marlin has their rebates. They are tack drivers and very reliable. They are built on the model 60 action but have a ten round detachable box mag. Never been a ruger fan. My remington 597 is nice and is just as accurate as my marlin 795. The 597 costs a little more and the only reason id tell someone to buy one over the 795 is if they wanted a 25 round mag. There are not large round count mags on the market for the Marlin savage and mossburg so if thats important to you get a 10/22 or a 597. I like the savage 702 but ive never shot a mossburg.
The 795 could be a option..As long as the price is right an its isnt WOOD..I have considered the Newer Mossberg Tactical Plinkster..Its the AR looking model 25 round mag an you can get a adjustable stock.Which would be nice for the kids etc.Buddy just got one but I aint shot it or anything..But there up in the 250$ range

The local wal-mart at the other end of town started carrying guns again..An the oldest boy(almost 6yrs old) an I went to see what all they had...We looked at a cricket 22 youth rifle it fit him perfect an the price is right 99$..Its bolt action single shot an iron sights which is good to start with IMO..Plus being a lowly Wal-Mart Tire an lube express employee (part time) ..I get 10% off so like its 95$ out the door.If he learns to us the open sights on the 760 pump master better.An minds his manners the first few months of school I think he will end up with one..There is a 25$ rebate on Rem 597s right now an if i get it through wal-mart that another 10$ off..I wonder what the total would be??

I think I am going to have to make a more extensive poll

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Marlin model 60 for me. I've shot one since i was a kid. That one is my dads. First gun i ever bought, a marlin Model 60.. Good gun, functions good, and is accurate.. But the most important part for me is it points good. I can snap shoot with both eyes open no aiming and hit a coon at 50 yards just point shooting... Don't believe me. Ask Matt. He saw me shoot a clay he threw.. Three shots in rapid succession pow pow pow and busted the clay in the air. We kept trying and I would hit about 1 in 10..

It's also my truck gun. I have it and about 500 rounds in my truck at all times. I think the .22 is under rated for defense.. 18 rounds on target in under 8 seconds is nothing to laugh at no matter the power behind them.. That's a bunch of rounds on target in a short amount of time.. Enough to make anyone seriously reconsider what they are doing.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My vote is for the 60. I actually prefer the 10/22 and I am going to be doing a budget build on one soon. But if you are going to leave it stock the 60 is hard to beat.

Beentown

Marlin model 60 for me. I've shot one since i was a kid. That one is my dads. First gun i ever bought, a marlin Model 60.. Good gun, functions good, and is accurate.. But the most important part for me is it points good. I can snap shoot with both eyes open no aiming and hit a coon at 50 yards just point shooting... Don't believe me. Ask Matt. He saw me shoot a clay he threw.. Three shots in rapid succession pow pow pow and busted the clay in the air. We kept trying and I would hit about 1 in 10..

It's also my truck gun. I have it and about 500 rounds in my truck at all times. I think the .22 is under rated for defense.. 18 rounds on target in under 8 seconds is nothing to laugh at no matter the power behind them.. That's a bunch of rounds on target in a short amount of time.. Enough to make anyone seriously reconsider what they are doing.

I agree..

Any thoughts on the Savage Mark II bolt action,10round mag an accu trigger ..I know it is a lil less fun then the semi auto

I agree..

Any thoughts on the Savage Mark II bolt action,10round mag an accu trigger ..I know it is a lil less fun then the semi auto

Idk action 22s can be even more fun than semiautos. IMO. Depending one the type of shooting your doing. Manual munipulation of the bolt is really fun and you can do it super fast and still be accurate because of the short bolt throw. Marlin redisigned their 22 bolt gun and i dont know if its good or not. The savage mark II would be my choice for a rimfire bolt gun.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That Savage is a good one. If I were to buy a. 22 after the 10/22 build it would be the CZ Americana 427. Schweettttt!

Beentown

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I agree..

I enjoy the semiauto but my son opted for the Savage you speak of. It is plenty accurate and he likes the bolt throw between shots. He has killed alot of stuff with that gun, that is another good choice. I think if you are close to anyone with the guns you are looking at you should shoot all that you can and see what fits you best.

One other thing I wanted to mention was buying a "cricket". If you are on a budget I would buy a full size gun you and your oldest could share even if you have to help him hold it. A small gun like a cricket is quickly outgrown. I started all of my kids on the 10/22 with me helping them hold it and then adding a sawhorse to support the gun as them became familar with the weapon and how to shoot it safely.

I enjoy the semiauto but my son opted for the Savage you speak of. It is plenty accurate and he likes the bolt throw between shots. He has killed alot of stuff with that gun, that is another good choice. I think if you are close to anyone with the guns you are looking at you should shoot all that you can and see what fits you best.

One other thing I wanted to mention was buying a "cricket". If you are on a budget I would buy a full size gun you and your oldest could share even if you have to help him hold it. A small gun like a cricket is quickly outgrown. I started all of my kids on the 10/22 with me helping them hold it and then adding a sawhorse to support the gun as them became familar with the weapon and how to shoot it safely.

My thought on the cricket was my soon to be 6yr old son can use it now..His lil bro 4yrs behind him can in the future an the newborn baby girl could a few years after that...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I love the Marlin model 60. I had one with a blonde stock that I sold (young and dumb) when I was 17, I still regret that every time I go to the gun cabinet. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I can absolutely shoot the lights out with. But if you want tack driving accuracy with a .22 I would opt for a bolt action.

I will own another Marlin model 60 for sure. Best of luck with whatever you decide OMO.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I suppose if I had to pick one it would be the Marlin but the best in utility and after-market is the Ruger 10/22