Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Be Ahead Of The Curve.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good. Maybe they will quit trying to take 2600 acres of farm ground in my township to put in solar panels. Or not. It is part of their plan. Remove farm land. Make people more dependent upon gubment handouts. Control the people with the food.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

AKA. Drop any trade restrictions on grain exports so we can sell our grain internationally at astronomical prices.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have always heard the the U.S. government puts more restrictions on grain exports than on grain imports

Wouldn't surprise me. From my reading we export about 50% of our wheat production and import about 20% of our consumption. None of it is from Ukraine or Russia though. Not that it matters a global shortage raises all prices.

Hey maybe the feds will get pissy and enact a crazy high export tariff because domestic buyers aren't willing to pay the higher prices that Europe is willing to pay. Then lower their price offer astronomically because they know farmers can't financially export it due to tariffs. Wait. That was cotton. No way that contributed to starting a war or anything though. It was all about slavery. 😅

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Wouldn't surprise me. From my reading we export about 50% of our wheat production and import about 20% of our consumption. None of it is from Ukraine or Russia though. Not that it matters a global shortage raises all prices.

Hey maybe the feds will get pissy and enact a crazy high export tariff because domestic buyers aren't willing to pay the higher prices that Europe is willing to pay. Then lower their price offer astronomically because they know farmers can't financially export it due to tariffs. Wait. That was cotton. No way that contributed to starting a war or anything though. It was all about slavery. 😅
There are several kinds of wheat. Each kind makes different flours. Ohio grows mostly soft red winter wheat. So we might have extra of one kind and need to import another kind. I copied and pasted the differences. Another reason is transportation issues caused by the Jones act. Jones act requires good shipped between US ports be transported on ships that are US built, owned, crewed and flagged. So if there is a surplus of wheat in the Pacific northwest it might be cheaper to ship it to China that to the Midwest and it might be cheaper to get Canada or European wheat shipped to the Midwest (down the st Lawrence and through the lakes).

The protein content of the wheat is what primarily determines what the wheat will be used for and the greater the protein, the greater the elasticity of the dough will be.

• Hard red winter and hard red spring contain the highest percentages of protein are most often used in goods requiring size, like breads and rolls.
  • Hard white and soft white contain the lowest percentages of protein and best suited for baked goods like cakes, cookies, crackers, pastries and muffins.
The color of the wheat plays a part too and as you may have already guessed, red wheat is darker than white wheat. Red wheat also has a stronger, more bitter flavor than white. This isn’t a big deal for many of us home bakers, but it is a big deal when you’re a big manufacturer trying to create a product that’s visually appealing to your consumer.

• Soft red winter is often used in blatantly obvious brown crackers and flat breads. These are often marketed as “whole grain” crackers and such.
  • Soft white is used in goods when manufactures want the item to look and taste “white,” but be able to claim as healthy with wheat. One example of this are muffins “made with white wheat.”

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There are several kinds of wheat. Each kind makes different flours. Ohio grows mostly soft red winter wheat. So we might have extra of one kind and need to import another kind. I copied and pasted the differences. Another reason is transportation issues caused by the Jones act. Jones act requires good shipped between US ports be transported on ships that are US built, owned, crewed and flagged. So if there is a surplus of wheat in the Pacific northwest it might be cheaper to ship it to China that to the Midwest and it might be cheaper to get Canada or European wheat shipped to the Midwest (down the st Lawrence and through the lakes).

The protein content of the wheat is what primarily determines what the wheat will be used for and the greater the protein, the greater the elasticity of the dough will be.

• Hard red winter and hard red spring contain the highest percentages of protein are most often used in goods requiring size, like breads and rolls.
  • Hard white and soft white contain the lowest percentages of protein and best suited for baked goods like cakes, cookies, crackers, pastries and muffins.
The color of the wheat plays a part too and as you may have already guessed, red wheat is darker than white wheat. Red wheat also has a stronger, more bitter flavor than white. This isn’t a big deal for many of us home bakers, but it is a big deal when you’re a big manufacturer trying to create a product that’s visually appealing to your consumer.

• Soft red winter is often used in blatantly obvious brown crackers and flat breads. These are often marketed as “whole grain” crackers and such.
  • Soft white is used in goods when manufactures want the item to look and taste “white,” but be able to claim as healthy with wheat. One example of this are muffins “made with white wheat.”

Pretty cool Sam. Thanks for the info. That makes sense to me. I was trying to look up what Ukraine and Russia produce and came across this chart.

CSW_prices_21-22 (1).png

Reactions: Mike

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I think Ukraine grows mostly winter wheat and Russia grows more spring wheat. Winter wheat doesn't grow well where the winters are too harsh. But im not sure exact how harsh is a problem.

Reactions: Mike

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.