Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big Holla Family’s Season - Covid Style

Was out cutting around this field edge Sunday and came back around to see this doe standing there feeding. Not sure if she stood up there after I had mowed by or walked out shortly after.
1597763420724.jpeg

We got the two plots behind the house mowed and planted today. Picked up a bag of Honey Hole from Antler King for these. Will be interesting to see how these do vs the Big N Beasty we did in Ohio. Also chatted with the neighbor who said they’ve been seeing more deer than ever in and around their home and little plot they planted. They live back in the woods a way so hearing that is great news.
1598142225909.jpeg

Also did some unpacking from last weekend and was excited to show the family my dads .44 cal muzzleloader handgun. It was a kit gun that had to be finished and I can remember working on it with him back when I was in my early teens. It was actually a pair but he never started finishing the second one. Who knows, maybe Allen and I can have a winter project. I remember being either lucky or a guinea pig as I was the first one to pull the trigger on that gun. Was middle of the winter and we walked over onto the neighbors frozen pond. Sat a jug of water on the bank and prepared for it to explode! Boom and as the smoke cleared there sat the jug LOL. Of course we figured I missed but soon we noticed the trickle of water coming out and I had hit right where I aimed. Damn that was a good memory with my dad.
1598142938899.jpeg

We spent the holiday weekend down at the farm getting things ready for deer season, some other projects and visiting. The weather was incredible as you already know. We ended up getting 4 more new stand locations put up as well as inspected all of the others in place. Have 2 more to take down and move but I'm not sure when that will happen. This is about as ready for season as we have been in years. Best part was Allen's drive for deer season is at an all time high and he was right there helping figure out which trees and why as well as helping put them up.

Here is the Gar Hole, it's on the back side of thick doe bedding overlooking a great rut trail that skirts downwind.

1599660926168.jpeg

Next is the Pines, overlooks a travel route and bench/saddle that is between bedding and feeding.

1599661070241.jpeg

1599661080882.jpeg

This stand was Allen's pick, it's on the edge of the corn and down below is an incredible bench that connects a long point to a big overgrown field we found some huge buck bedding in back when looking for sheds earlier this year. There are a couple great trails that come off that bench and onto the field edge within shooting distance. Second pic is from the field edge and third is from the good trail on the bench behind the stand.

1599661508023.jpeg

1599661523257.jpeg

1599661539530.jpeg

The last stand we got up is on the sanctuary food plot. It's tough to see the actual stand as it's covered with brush but it's just above the roof on the 4 wheeler on the double trunk cherry tree there. The plot pic is what the stand overlooks. It wasn't coming in as much as I thought it would be but after looking at the pic it doesn't do justice for the amount of green coming up in the mowing debris.

1599661759306.jpeg

1599662072957.jpeg

Food plots up here have been a little slow growing so far. They finally seemed to kick in this past weekend.

Front plot:

1600787996482.jpeg

Back plot:

1600788482816.jpeg

I know they don't look like much and it's probably a combination of nutrients, time of year and sunlight. Unfortunately last night I went out to shoot and heard a 4 wheeler that sounded like it was back there. By the time I got back they had gotten away but not after they had done doughnuts in the back plot. Fucking little assholes. Good note though, my neighbor knew who they were and contacted the kid's dad. He messaged me last night apologizing and wanting to know when he could bring them over to apologize to me. Nothing really to fix other than the old barbed wire fence they knocked down. I put that back up and tied it in place once I figured out where they were headed. Shit happens.

On a good note, Allen finished his arrows and has been shooting them for a little while now. I think they look great!!

1600788753983.jpeg

Shitty about the food plot. Possibly make it a teaching lesson/learning lesson for the kid?

That is exactly what the dad wants out of it. It was late when he messaged and he asked about bringing them over today to apologize. I have a few things going on after work so I said we can chalk it up to a learning lesson and he replied no, he needed to make sure they understood what they did by talking to me face to face and seeing what they did with their own eyes. So the plan is to have them over tomorrow after work.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
That is exactly what the dad wants out of it. It was late when he messaged and he asked about bringing them over today to apologize. I have a few things going on after work so I said we can chalk it up to a learning lesson and he replied no, he needed to make sure they understood what they did by talking to me face to face and seeing what they did with their own eyes. So the plan is to have them over tomorrow after work.
Let them do the hard work next season to replant/seed for you.