Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blood Tracking Dog

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very true. Anytime people are in looking for blood and tracking it all over the woods it is difficult for the dog. What we may not see with the naked eye, a mist if you will, just confuses the dog. They can pick up a tiny blood particle scent which we cannot visibly see and by looking for the deer yourself, it just makes it that much tougher for the dog to do its job.

saddlepants

central Ohio
They can also match the interdigital scent with no blood. Damp wet air is better than dry and cold. I always started my dog at the deers launch point of being shot rather than first blood. Then If they had first blood Id see if the dog tracked to it or took him to it. Fingerprint that deer!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They can also match the interdigital scent with no blood. Damp wet air is better than dry and cold. I always started my dog at the deers launch point of being shot rather than first blood. Then If they had first blood Id see if the dog tracked to it or took him to it. Fingerprint that deer!

Agreed! I always ask where the deer was standing when they shot as well as what path they came in on and left on.

hugo27bell75ty

I have heard from many of my friends who have had dachshunds from american lines that were very agressive, but my dog loves people a little to much. Quella wants to be in your lap licking on your face. Quella is also a wire haired dachshund, but she has a short coat, because both of her parents carry a recessive gene which I believe is called homozeigous recessive ff. If both parents carry this gene, some of the pups will come out with short coats and others will come out with wire coats. If they carry homoziegous Ff gene they will come out with nice coats. If they carry homoziegous FF gene they will come out with a real thick double coat. I like that Quella doesn't get all tangled up with burrs when tracking, which is one of the reasons that I prefer the short coat. THe ideal coat in Germany where her parents are from is the wire coat though, with just the furnishings on the feet, beard and slightly longer along the back, but what is the most important thing to me is that she is good with my kids and tracks wounded deer, which she is bred for.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice to see back on TOO. I live the next county over in Warren county not to far from Kings Island. If I ever need you and Quellas assistance I'll be sure to look you up.

hugo27bell75ty

Man if you only knew what I have spent on my dog and hunting supplies you would crap.
I am curious as to what expenses in supplies one might need to track deer? I am thinking blood, some chunks of liver, and the patience to train the dog and you are good to go. Seems to me dashunds are popular. I have known people to use blood hounds, GSP's, labs, curr, catahoula, and just about any dog with the ability to be trained and a good nose.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk