Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow Press, anyone got one?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm looking into building a draw board/hooter shooter and also a bow press. I'm sick of taking my bow to a shop and being charged $10 to install a Peep, or asking to have the bow put in time, only to have a bow tech eyeball it and say, "yup, you're good." I wanna start working on my own equipment and get a better understanding for how things work.

I've found awesome plans for both, but I'm not sure what type of press I should build. Would something like an EZ Press be a good choice (the one I'm leaning towards), or should I see about building something like an Apple or X-Press?

I should add that I don't have the skills to do the welding/machining of parts, so that will be done by a local machine shop.

rrr

Saw one on Mansfield Craigslist this week as a part of a package deal, just an idea.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Can't afford to be buying myself anything right now. Just trying to put some plans together for my "winter hybernation" period.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i built one this year and it sure is hand...actually built two. I have the xpress type and my buddie made the ez press. both have real advantages and disadvantages.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
i built one this year and it sure is hand...actually built two. I have the xpress type and my buddie made the ez press. both have real advantages and disadvantages.

Care to elaborate on the advantages/disadvantages of both? I would be interested in hearing from someone who has used them both.

J, thanks for the plans. I will check them out!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
the ex press is just a little more finicky on setting the adjustable support arms but you can press more bows as well as string rifles with it. it is very easy to weld and fabricate for the most part. The EZ press is much easier to operate but you are limited to what you can do with it. You also have to work around draw stops on certain bows which can be a pain in the ass if you don't factor in adjustability. the part part probably more expensive for the ez press as you have to get a hand wheel and stuff. mine was made from an old apple press that we cut up to make mine. it could be a little better made but the price was right. You will want a long jack for sure because changing limbs can be a bitch of you run out of room to let the bow down.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been looking into the same thing, Greg. From all the research I've done, I would go with a linear press, like the EZ Press. Seems like it would be fairly easy to build and relatively cheap. From what I can tell, it will work just fine on the Elite bows... you just have to take one of the draw stops off first. You probably already know this but there are a ton of linear press plans over at AT.com and lots of helpful threads.

Like you, I'm tired of looking for a bow shop when the need arises... and the Elite certified shops are few and far between. Plus I'd really like to get into serious archery work so that I have something to do when I retire.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Any press that you dont have to take the draw stops off is A1 in my book...Cause its a pain to do anyhting to my bow if it needs press work..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Any press that you dont have to take the draw stops off is A1 in my book...Cause its a pain to do anyhting to my bow if it needs press work..

I don't know how other bows are, but on my Elite the draw stops go on and off very easily. Just as simple as losening a screw and taking it off. Hardest part is making sure it goes back on in the same spot... mine would be easy because they're all the way against the one side of the slot.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Never said it was difficult but you cant tell me its not a pain....Nothing worse than putting it all back together, only to have to take them back off to re-adjust something

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never said it was difficult but you cant tell me its not a pain....Nothing worse than putting it all back together, only to have to take them back off to re-adjust something

Like I said, I don't know about the other bows... but no, it's not a pain on my Elite. It literally take less than 15 seconds to remove a draw stop.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, here's the thread for the drawboard I intend on building

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1357120

And then here's the thread for the linear press

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1154537&highlight=linear+press

If I can get the guy at the local machine shop to help me build this, I plan on incorporating it all together. Mount the press on the draw board/hooter shooter.

I also working on coming up with a stabilizer mounted bow vise I think I can buil one for $20 that will serve it's purpose for what I intend to do.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
if you guys watc AT you can get some of this stuff dirt cheap too. just be patient. bow vices are cheap. start picking up the levels and tools you will need to work on stuff. Harbor freight has a couple allen head wrench sets that are cheap and stout to keep for your bench. be careful if you use the harbor freight jack and welding it. it is made of chinese steel and a little harder to weld. be sure to take the bearing and crank assembly out before they weld so they don't melt or burn the grease off with the welding heat. Greg i will get your number off of Jessica and text you some pics of mine..

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Thanks for the pics Milo. I'm nervous to start doing my own work on my bow, but have confidence that I can do just as good a job as the shops around here do and then some. My only concern is tearing my bow up in the process. Anyone care to let me "tune" their bow first? :D

badger

*Supporting Member*
Greg, mine is an Apple. I didn't have time to get pics for ya last night. Came home to no gas in the house. Some idiot hit a gas main with an auger and they had a bunch of us shut down. That meant no hot water, or stove. Luckily I have an electric unit on my furnace and switched it from gas to electric.

If you still need more pics I'll get some tonight.