Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bowmar Buck 2018 Ohio Monster

Jamie

Ohio
killing a bear with a spear is next level shit. making a wooden bow and killing a deer with it is not as hard as most people think. if you are inclined to put in the time, I mean. not trying to be provocative here. I'm speaking from experience. I've done it a few times.

Creamer

Athens
killing a bear with a spear is next level shit. making a wooden bow and killing a deer with it is not as hard as most people think. if you are inclined to put in the time, I mean. not trying to be provocative here. I'm speaking from experience. I've done it a few times.

My hunch is that the number of people who have done it is exceptionally low in comparison with the number of people who buy their archery tackle. It's awesome that you've done it, and maybe that's why you have a different perspective.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I use Hoot's little BB kill from a few years back as my example of "next level shit". Self bow and string, with handmade arrows to the ninth degree and an arrowhead some native American fashioned hundreds of years ago. For me, it's the commitment to doing it the "hard way" that makes it next level shit.
That was with one of Jamie’s bows. :)

Jamie

Ohio
My hunch is that the number of people who have done it is exceptionally low in comparison with the number of people who buy their archery tackle. It's awesome that you've done it, and maybe that's why you have a different perspective.

I'd agree, and in that context, yes, I'm sure that is why I have a different perspective. my last post sounded better in my head than it looks on the screen to me. not trying to flatter myself here. I'm trying to dispel the myth created by modern archery industry that making your own equipment just isn't possible for the average shmuck. I'm an average shmuck, and I can make a bow and an arrow and kill a deer with it. so can you or anyone else who wants to do it. how lofty of a goal this is most certainly is a matter of perspective, but it is a realistic and reachable goal for anyone of average intelligence, manual dexterity, and tool competence. it's more a labor of love than anything else. like making calls or tying flies.

a self-aggrandizing youtube hero like Bowmar doing this one time seems more like a publicity stunt to me than anything else, which I find a bit offensive. I'd feel differently about it if he did it 10 or 20 times.

Creamer

Athens
I can't say how many animals the guy killed with his self bow, but a quick glance at his YouTube page shows 4 hunts with it. Two deer, two bears.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Come Oct. I'm going totally to the extreme when I hunt bears... Going to use a cement block... When they walk under me I'll drop it on their head... Also no camera man... I'm not into how many views I get on facebook,instagram or any of that stuff... My ego is fine...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I finally watched the whole video. Great deer. Just a shame he met his demise over a cornpile. Call me jealous, call me a hater... Call me whatever you want. This video shows just about everything I've grown to hate about deer hunting these days. A couple main bullet points that really irritate me.... 1. Dude says this deer "means way too much to him to shoot it with a gun," literally as he shoots it with a $2000 compound setup at 70 fuckin yards. Yea, ok. 2. Admits that he tries to lease EVERY property around his. People get so stupid about big antlers, it sickens me. I love big deer too, but someone that goes out of their way to try to fuck all the other hunters around them, some of which are neighbors... Now that's a special kind of asshole there. Great buck, but I'm even less of a fan of the Bowmars now after watching this.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
tenor (1).gif

Fletch

Supporting Member
So out of curiosity.. To the best of everyone's knowledge.. was he ever a member of TOO ??

Jamie

Ohio
I finally watched the whole video. Great deer. Just a shame he met his demise over a cornpile. Call me jealous, call me a hater... Call me whatever you want. This video shows just about everything I've grown to hate about deer hunting these days. A couple main bullet points that really irritate me.... 1. Dude says this deer "means way too much to him to shoot it with a gun," literally as he shoots it with a $2000 compound setup at 70 fuckin yards. Yea, ok. 2. Admits that he tries to lease EVERY property around his. People get so stupid about big antlers, it sickens me. I love big deer too, but someone that goes out of their way to try to fuck all the other hunters around them, some of which are neighbors... Now that's a special kind of asshole there. Great buck, but I'm even less of a fan of the Bowmars now after watching this.

well if he wanted to do right by the deer he should have killed it with his selfbow and a wood arrow with a broadhead that he sharpened with his own hands. and without employing a corn pile and 10 trail cameras. ;) what a douchebag...

this does represent very well everything that offends every sensibility I have, have ever had, about bow and arrow hunting. I understand that all of this stuff is widely accepted as the norm today, but I find all of it most disagreeable. everything is a matter of perspective.

Jägermeister, your Elitist card is in the mail. welcome to the club. :ROFLMAO:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jägermeister, your Elitist card is in the mail. welcome to the club. :ROFLMAO:

LMFAO. This made me literally laugh out loud as I read it.

It's been a slow evolution, Jamie, but I think I'm finally there. Now I can start working towards my "Crotchety Old Man" membership card. Get off my lawn! Damn kids! 😂

Seriously though, this guy does seem very douchey and I bet his neighbors can't stand him. (surprised no one gave him permission 🙄)

Reactions: Gern186

Fletch

Supporting Member
Looking at the pic of him and the deer again I noticed his name printed on the bow in pretty green letters.. Boy does that scream the fact that someone is in love with themself.. Hey everyone look at me...