Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason, 2017

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This place is close to the county line on 62. Has a big ass pond in it to. I think the owner must’ve got tired of the birds getting hit so he mowed an edge on the field this year. Seems to have helped as I haven’t seen one since.

On the east side of the hwy? It's actually got two big ponds and no owner information listed! Lol.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Will do Dave!

It's an absolute blast, Mike! We have to earn them around here, and because of that it is a lot like deer or turkey hunting. When you finally get one to hold and flush in range, it's a rush. The main difference being that when you do kill one you get to go look for another. And there is not much mess, even when your shooting is really good.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Had another enjoyable morning in the pheasant field. I killed one and my buddy did as well. We took my GSP along with his English pointer and Airedale. The Airedale took down and deer too. Lol. He let it go, but it didn't look good for her at first.
This is the only pic I snapped with my phone but I have more on a camera I'll load later.

Attachments

• IMG_1964.jpg
    IMG_1964.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 201

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I can't imagine what goes through a pheasants mind when they look up at my pup staring down at them. It's got to be a bit spooky. He looks like he is ready to tear something apart when he locks on point. lol. He did an amazing job today. I'm learning how he likes to hunt more every time out. He is far better at finding birds than I am. So much fun! I love hunting with flushing dogs that have the discipline to stay in shotgun range while tracking a bird, but pointers are a thing of beauty too. There is nothing better than seeing these guys put the brakes on and say, "He is right here!"
The pics are of my buddy and his son with his bird, which we killed 100 yards from the truck. He had to leave after a short hunt so Ruger and I went ahead and found another before heading home. I had winged it. Ruger found him again, pointed and I flushed him for the second time. He couldn't fly, so he tried to run. Ruger had no trouble chasing him down once I told him to fetch. He pulled all the tail feathers out of the bird during the pursuit. lol. I love that dog!

Attachments

• DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 214

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Clint, Ike, Mason and I met up for a morning bird hunt on a favorite 72 acre patch. We saw 5 roosters, 2 hens. We moved a lot of birds according to the tracks in the snow, but most were quick to run. Three held perfectly, the dogs pointed perfectly. That is a thing of beauty when it works. Clint killed two, I killed one. The boys did not fire a shot. Only one warning shot was issued, and I'm proud to say it was not me! :)
Tomorrow afternoon Mason and I will be going over to my buddy Tony's. He has an amazing farm. He raises birds and releases just before a hunt. It's not the same as hunting wild birds, but it is still a good time. Plenty of shooting and some great work for the dogs. We will get back to wild birds on Thursday I suspect.

A few pics from today...

Attachments

• DSC_0137.jpg
    DSC_0137.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_0138.jpg
    DSC_0138.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0146.jpg
    DSC_0146.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_0154.jpg
    DSC_0154.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 157

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It is an absolute blast, Drake!

J- I wish there were pheasants everywhere! It is encouraging though, that most everywhere they have a place to live there does seem to be birds. There is just too much demand for beans and corn. :)

I'm working on access to another farm that has a good bit of habitat. I've only seen it from the road, but it is a big farm and is just north of the area we have been hunting. I think I have a chance to gain access even though I have never met the owner. As luck would have, he is the best friend of my buddy that owns my favorite deer hunting ground. Who knows, maybe that will help. I always hate asking for permission on a place without at least having met the landowner previously.... but it doesn't stop me from asking! lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We had a great time chasing birds with my buddy Tony today. He owns a beautiful farm, raises birds to release. We put out four roosters but were only able to gun down two. It was a cold but beautiful day to be following two fine bird dogs. Both performed well. Ruger just gets better with each outing. I love that dog!
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSC_0157.jpg
    DSC_0157.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0166.jpg
    DSC_0166.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0169.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0176.jpg