Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2020

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great plan there fellas. I’ve got a few guns but only a couple I really like. Mason has tried to take ownership of a couple and he is free to use them anytime. However, I’ve made it clear, they are mine for now. If he’s patient, good Lord willing, he can have them all. 😁

Bowkills

Nw oh
my friends dad won a golden boy in a raffle when we were in our teens. I don't think my buddy is yet to touch that gun, he's a sucker for Henry's too. I'd laugh my ass off if it went straight to the grandkids.....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 154

Bowkills

Nw oh
my friends dad won a golden boy in a raffle when we were in our teens. I don't think my buddy is yet to touch that gun, he's a sucker for Henry's too. I'd laugh my ass off if it went straight to the grandkids.....
That 5 shot plate was my kid shooting a cricket shouldn't have been in that post haha

Reactions: brock ratcliff

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Lol. My child has tagged “my” target buck quite a few times. I’ve never looked like that when he did it. Lol.

A friend sent me that, I thought it was funny. I knew the perfect thread to post it in. Like you, I’d rather my kids kill than myself. The meme was not intended to be negative and I hope you didn’t take it that way.

Actually I look like that guy when I kill and my kids are there w me. It’s a bitter sweet kill to me. Happy and thankful to have the opportunity to kill it, just wished that one of my boys would’ve killed it.

Jamie

Ohio
everything is a matter of perspective.

I've never had a chance to help my child kill my target buck, and I never will. fingers crossed that I can someday teach my grandson to kill something. as much fun as I have watching other people shoot squirrels over my dogs, I can only imagine what it's like with arrowing a nice buck.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
everything is a matter of perspective.

I've never had a chance to help my child kill my target buck, and I never will. fingers crossed that I can someday teach my grandson to kill something. as much fun as I have watching other people shoot squirrels over my dogs, I can only imagine what it's like with arrowing a nice buck.
It’s awesome and you will be a fantastic mentor in the bow-hunting-woods, creating elitist, snobbish, traditional bow hunting icons. 😁😁😁😁. You know I’m kidding... sorta. 😁
Btw, the new squirrel catching rifle shoots pretty well. I’m quite certain it will bust a squirrels head but I think with the right ammo it can perform far better than it did today. I shot just two types of ammo and neither impressed me. I’d have a solid group going after three or four shots and then a cartridge would go off and sound like a wet fart with just as impressive an impact point. I’ll be looking for better quality ammo. It’s good enough to kill squirrels but not as good as it should be. Sure was fun to shoot though!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I took my pups for a walk in a pheasant patch yesterday We didn’t kill a thing but it was not the dogs fault. There just weren’t many in the field for them to find. They pointed two, both had ran. Peanut, my Brit pup, waited for me to get to them, then broke from the point and tracked the rooster 200-300 yards through absolute crap. I tried to keep up but ran out of gas. He caught up with the bird and I watched him flush out of gun range. Absolutely beautiful thing to see. This is exactly what I hoped to get out of the Brit... GSP can’t track a running bird worth a crap. I’ve had people tell me their GSP would do it, but I’ve never seen one of those super stars actually track one for any distance. Ruger has done it a time or two but generally when a bird doesn’t hold for a point, he gets away. A younger man with better knees would have killed that rooster for Peanut. Attached is a blurry pic I snapped of my boys on point. It is blurry because I was more concerned with getting to them before the bird flushed. Turned out to be a hen. There is nothing to be seen in the wild any prettier than bird dogs on point imo.
2F850E5B-1FA2-4B2E-B711-B68150FD5172.png

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I went to the woods with Mason last night hoping to video him killing his first with a recurve. He and his pal Caleb had tried the night before with Mason sitting on the ground. He could have killed a couple of fawns but when the big girl came in they picked him off. So last night the same bunch came into his corn pile but circled. He didn’t realize it and they caught him moving and bounced. That spot is gonna probably need to cool down before he tries that again or he’s is going to need to move trees. Knowing him, I’d guess since baseball was canceled for tonight he will find another tree and try again today.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good luck to Mason on getting his first Trad kill, can't wait to see him get it done!
He said this will be the first year in a long time he hasn’t killed a deer with a compound. Lol. I thought it was funny because he thinks four or five years is a long time. He will be heading back to KY over Christmas break so he may still kill one down there with his Mathews.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Had a good time with Jamie and the pups today. We killed a pile of squirrels. I’ll let his squirrel journal tell the story as I’m sure it will be a better accounting of the days events than I can put together. Heck, I didn’t even remember where we killed the first one just a few hours after the incident!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My buddy Clint and I put a few miles on today in the pheasant fields. We tried a new farm first. Great looking cover but no birds were found. Next farm gave up four birds but no shots were fired, my dogs did great! Last stop we saw a rooster when we pulled in. He darted into a field so we got the dogs out of the truck and followed as they tracked him a couple hundred yards to his hiding spot. He flushed to Clint’s side and he made the most of the opportunity. Nice day to follow the pups around!
4B54FF50-E11D-42E3-9A55-CED8F4CCB375.jpeg
A6F1D6B3-8513-4B50-9433-D44221DD0441.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It was such a nice evening I had to take my little recurve to a tree. I didn’t see any deer but I did see four squirrels and a rabbit. The rabbit got a really close shave from a really sharp head. Lol. He lost a little blood too but I think he will be ok. I enjoyed myself. The rabbit probably wishes I’d have stayed home.
1ED64A7E-CCAC-42E4-8298-69B17CC3A9E5.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason, Caleb, Logan (a kid from Piketon that Mason has played Legion ball with), and I took the beagles for a walk today. The body count would have been much higher if accurate shooting was a priority for this bunch. It was a good time. We saw deer, quail and several hen pheasants along with the rabbits. Good clean fun.
BA6F6636-0FD9-42AB-A162-78834ADC3471.jpeg