Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Clinton county giant?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
All it would take to give the CJ feller some hope or help his cause is if anyone got this buck on trail camera near his sisters 30 acres around the time he allegedly killed this animal. Doesn’t have to be adjacent property or next one over just within a mile and that will at least prove he did move a considerable distance and that I and many others have a hard to believing. Hoping a pic can prove me wrong.👍🏻

Wiley E Coyote

Do we know if DNR has taken the buck ?
I know several hunters from Clinton county and the word is they have it. I don't know for sure but my guess is he recovered it from private property without permission. 30 acers is not much ground in a bucks world. A fatally hit buck could get off of there pretty easily especially if he was less then a few hundreds from the line when shot.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
And I believe the land owner would have to actually press trespassing charges on you for you to get a ticket from it.
Yeah, that’s why I was questioning it. Hopefully it will eventually come out. Again hoping it’s just a bunch of random rumors….

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That very plausible, but wouldn’t that be a citation vs a confiscation? If it was a doe would the same level of interaction from the DNR be done? Interesting.

From my understanding of the trophy buck restitution law any violation is a violation. They nailed a guy a few years ago that shot one on private but it died next to the railroad. He recovered it on RR property so they confiscated the buck.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Couldn’t the WO’ers just have him take them to the kill site and have him share how the hunt went down and show them where the deer was standing and where he was recovered to end this nonsense? If he is innocent and did nothing wrong then this should be a no brainer and he can get his deer back, tell these jealous and envious rumor starters to suck it and restore his reputation.
Maybe they already investigated the site I don’t know but I would be totally pissed if I were in his shoes and I was being falsely accused of any wrong doing and it was totally taken legitimately.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
And I believe the land owner would have to actually press trespassing charges on you for you to get a ticket from it.

The hunting regs require written permission. Technically it's a ticketable offense even if you have verbal permission. It's not often enforced because landowners are reluctant to sign forms and if you have verbal permission the GW told me it rarely holds up in court. You're not charged with trespassing but rather not having written permissionnon your person.

Wiley E Coyote

Couldn’t the WO’ers just have him take them to the kill site and have him share how the hunt went down and show them where the deer was standing and where he was recovered to end this nonsense? If he is innocent and did nothing wrong then this should be a no brainer and he can get his deer back, tell these jealous and envious rumor starters to suck it and restore his reputation.
Maybe they already investigated the site I don’t know but I would be totally pissed if I were in his shoes and I was being falsely accused of any wrong doing and it was totally taken legitimately.
I sure that took place and didn't add up. I bet one or both of his dragging buddies let the cat out of the bag

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Ha ha you know common sense and the government don't go together

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
People often forget that law enforcement is not your buddy. I respect the hell out of what they do, but if they knock on your door, they are not there to make friends, they're there to do a job. And unless you are 1000% blatant, no questions asked, could never be misconstrued, innocent, shut your damn mouth. Be respectful, friendly, and polite but STFU.

You don't need to show them where you shot anything, where it died, or walk them anywhere. They're allowed to investigate, they can walk around if they like, they don't need the story or how it happened. Let them do their job and you don't need to help them do it, and in the case of a big buck like this call an attorney the minute they show up. There isn't an attorney alive that will tell you "Man I'm sure glad you told them the story, or Man I'm sure glad you walked them out in the woods to show them".

They will need a reason to confiscate that animal, If they manage to come up with some sort of reason then let them have it without another word. All they have is a hunch, a hunch they'll need to prove in court. If their hunch is wrong then your attorney will have an easy time getting your rack back. your attorneys' job will get harder the more you say because you're tipping off the prosecution to your defense well before it ever matters.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
People often forget that law enforcement is not your buddy. I respect the hell out of what they do, but if they knock on your door, they are not there to make friends, they're there to do a job. And unless you are 1000% blatant, no questions asked, could never be misconstrued, innocent, shut your damn mouth. Be respectful, friendly, and polite but STFU.

You don't need to show them where you shot anything, where it died, or walk them anywhere. They're allowed to investigate, they can walk around if they like, they don't need the story or how it happened. Let them do their job and you don't need to help them do it, and in the case of a big buck like this call an attorney the minute they show up. There isn't an attorney alive that will tell you "Man I'm sure glad you told them the story, or Man I'm sure glad you walked them out in the woods to show them".

They will need a reason to confiscate that animal, If they manage to come up with some sort of reason then let them have it without another word. All they have is a hunch, a hunch they'll need to prove in court. If their hunch is wrong then your attorney will have an easy time getting your rack back. your attorneys' job will get harder the more you say because you're tipping off the prosecution to your defense well before it ever matters.
It's a sad world when it comes down to this...for a freaking deer.