Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Clinton county giant?

JARHEAD

Behind you
I was told years ago by a local warden that if you're in the outdoors hunting, fishing, hiking or whatever then there is something you're doing wrong. He said we get those regulation books from wherever you get your license but his book is 4X as big. If he interacted with someone his attitude towards them depended on how they acted when he first made contact with them. Hence, if you're polite and treat him with respect then he would treat you the same. Golden rule boys. It goes a long way.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I read a guys(a direct friend of a friend of the guy that shot this deer)(allegedly)) post in a FB group that this deer has NOT been confiscated, and that their local GW came out and everything checked out. This post was made this morning. Dude could be full of shit and not know the hunter and just saying that to get a response, I’ll see if I can find it again.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
IMG_4868.png

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Nobody owns a damn free range deer. I don't care how big the rack is, its just a deer. I'll never understand grown ass men acting like they are in a relationship with a deer. It could get splattered on the road just as easy. If a buck you are hunting was legally and ethically taken by someone else and checks out you don't have to like it, but move on.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was told years ago by a local warden that if you're in the outdoors hunting, fishing, hiking or whatever then there is something you're doing wrong. He said we get those regulation books from wherever you get your license but his book is 4X as big. If he interacted with someone his attitude towards them depended on how they acted when he first made contact with them. Hence, if you're polite and treat him with respect then he would treat you the same. Golden rule boys. It goes a long way.
The golden rule will work on the vast majority of any interaction with just about anyone…… But be ready when that gut feeling creeps in and tells you something ain’t right….
Just remember, a local cop, sheriff, game wardens all work for people. The amount of politics that get involved in everyday life can be mind boggling….. It’s a small world and social media has made it even smaller…..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

You just hit the nail on the head.

Being cooperative and polite during a random license, tag, and weapon check in the woods is the right thing to do. Anything beyond that and it's time to get an attorney. Cooperating in any investigation regardless of innocence without the advice of counsel is never a good idea.

For anyone interested, here is a good article written by a lawyer on how an innocent person can get hemmed up in an investigation. You can see how their own statements are twisted and used against them to paint a picture of guilt.

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
A few months ago I had the ATF leave a note in my mailbox and show up a couple days later. They wanted information on some things I sold a local guy that they had in custody over a laundry list of things supposedly . I answered as generically as needed and they were on their merry way after i wouldnt cough up more as i hadnt done anything wrong and wanted no part of it. The guy agent was a douche but the female was nice and straight to the point , seen the good cop bad cop game before .