Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cold shot

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Perhaps. But, being that foam stops by friction, using the same diameter shaft I expected to see some difference if there was any gain by shooting a slightly heavier arrow.
I could be way off. But my thinking is that a material like foam, that can be compressed… that there’s like some resistance on the tip of the arrow as it enters the foam and compresses the foam as it penetrates. I’m sure you would see some differences in penetration from one arrow to the next but maybe that compressive resistance is enough to hide the effects of friction alone. I don’t know… You would think a heavier arrow would compress more foam… But who knows. Where’s @Milo when you need him?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Heavier shaft has more y axis influence and the lighter will have more x axis influence which will drive the shaft deeper. Was the broadhead that exact same dimensions? Best way to test is to use the same broad and screw point weights into the back of the insert

Reactions: jagermeister

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Both were field points. Same design. Certainly was not an overly well thought out experiment but I expected to see some difference. In fact the slight advantage went to the lighter shaft.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
That would be the influence on the y axis as the arrow center of mass if traveling much different on entering the target. The foam changes that equation and impact on the shaft to slow it down. On critters it’s completely different

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
60B5C47D-7952-4828-8855-DD87BBFE0D15.jpeg

One string bows are always an adventure. Some days you’re in the valley and some your on the mountain. Been on the mountain today and really enjoyed the view. It’s been a long time coming back, but today I shot probably as well as I did 25 years ago... maybe. This is not a cold shot but it is a good group launched from 45 yards. It felt good. I’ve been working at the little things and for today at least, it was all together. Doing things right at linger distance makes doing things right at hunting range much easier. Funny, 45 seems like it’s miles away with a single string bow but a mere chip shot with wheels. Lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I mus
View attachment 130722
One string bows are always an adventure. Some days you’re in the valley and some your on the mountain. Been on the mountain today and really enjoyed the view. It’s been a long time coming back, but today I shot probably as well as I did 25 years ago... maybe. This is not a cold shot but it is a good group launched from 45 yards. It felt good. I’ve been working at the little things and for today at least, it was all together. Doing things right at linger distance makes doing things right at hunting range much easier. Funny, 45 seems like it’s miles away with a single string bow but a mere chip shot with wheels. Lol
I must have missed it somewhere along the way. When did you start shooting a Widow? That baby looks sweet!!!

And you’re totally right. 45 yards with a trad bow feels like shooting 80 or 100 yds with a compound.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I mus

I must have missed it somewhere along the way. When did you start shooting a Widow? That baby looks sweet!!!

And you’re totally right. 45 yards with a trad bow feels like shooting 80 or 100 yds with a compound.
I don’t know exactly. I’ve had it a month or two. Mason has kinda taken over my Super Diablos since I got this bow. He was shooting them alongside me today so I grabbed one and shot an arrow. They are just great little bows too. I told him I was glad he bought one of them (before getting frustrated and selling it to me). The SD is without question the reason I got serious about one string bows again. Just a joy to shoot. The Widow is ok too. 😁

Reactions: jagermeister

Creamer

Athens
Somebody is getting ballsy. He thinks he's safe in the neighbor's yard. And to an extent he is. But I'm patiently waiting for him to make a mistake.

He stayed right there while I sent my cold shot from a distance not much different from me to whistle pig.

Creamer

Athens
I finally caught ol' chuck in the yard yesterday. I grabbed the bow and a broadhead tipped arrow and snuck around back. Just as I was about to crest the bank where I could see down towards where he was, the neighbor fired up his tractor. He gone.

My cold shot yesterday right after from 25 was bad news for him if he had still been out.

Today's cold arrow was from 18. Slightly back from where I'd like it to be, but fatal for sure.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Been pretty busy with work, mowing on the farm and my mom being sick, got a new target and was finally able to shoot today.
Just shot at 20 yards,started out a little off but tightened em up after a few rounds.
Gonna start trying to shoot a little every day before season gets here.
Hopefully get the new bow sometime in August so I can get it tuned and shooting good if not this one will be just fine.
20210727_121754.jpg
20210727_124145.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
@brock ratcliff let me test drive his Widow PMA over the weekend. First time shooting since last fall. Definitely gave me the itch to restring my bow and start slinging some arrows. Thanks again Brock.
No problem Jim! Remember I mentioned I would have to reserve the string soon? It wore completely through on the 30th target at Sunday’s shoot. 😁. New serving and string nocks applied and shot 100 or so times last night.