Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

College Football Thread

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Subjective garbage fraught with bias to gain ratings and ad dollars. "The best" is decided on the field throughout a season, if not then this is nothing more than reality show junk.

Look at Cincinnati who put on a hell of an effort today, what are they even playing for? Why bother, they'll never be one of the darlings, but they played their guts out this season and would have gone 10-0 if it wasn't for some stupid mistakes today. There has to be legitimacy to the system or college football is just a beauty pageant. Team's like that have to believe that if they try and play hard they can make it and get their shot too. The non-power 5 should tell the NCAA to shove it and play a post season NC game themselves.
Or, you know, extend it to 8 teams atleast. I know you guys who sign a dozen 5 stars every year would like to keep a monopoly on this 4 team playoff, but it's a joke

Reactions: hickslawns

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Here is a great report on how the 4 team playoff helps the same teams with recruiting year after year. It is an interesting discussion. Fast forward to the 23 minute mark and tell me what you think.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/this-morning-with-gordon-deal/id159752078?i=1000503972573
It's a good listen. Pretty much lays out what everyone knows. But you ain't gonna find many OSU, BAMA, or Clemson fans that want to expand and possibly lose their grip on the dozen Top 100 players they get every year

Reactions: Clay Showalter

Jamie

Ohio
I'd be all for expanding the play off to 8 teams if I still actually gave a shit about it, although I doubt it would help U of M much. :ROFLMAO: If you think this is unfair, wait until they start paying players to compete at the collegiate level. It's a damn shame that trading athletic skills for food, clothing, shelter, and a college education isn't good enough anymore. wouldn't it be fun if we somehow factored in these teams GPA's as part of the metrics for deciding who gets to play?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's a good listen. Pretty much lays out what everyone knows. But you ain't gonna find many OSU, BAMA, or Clemson fans that want to expand and possibly lose their grip on the dozen Top 100 players they get every year

I'm against it. But only because doubling down on a arbitrary system doesn't fix anything. Human bias needs to be removed. Either by computer ranking the top two like under the BCS, or by taking taking all the conf champs and going that route. Under the current system their is an obvious bias and slant towards the power 5 conferences. This is evident by requiring 5 of the 13 members to be the athletic directors of those conferences and not requiring them to recuse themselves from voting for teams where there is an obvious affiliation conflict of interest. They can only be recused if they're currently employed or compensated by that school, however many have prior affiliations such as coaching, alma mater, etc.

As for recruiting, teams like Bama & OSU had no problems getting players under the BCS system.

Reactions: Tipmoose

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
FB_IMG_1609562892068.jpg

Now I get it!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I’d like to see an 8 team playoff with no more lame ass out of conference games scheduled. If every team in all the power five conferences played a balance of out of conference games and the whole season from game 1 to conference championship would be the playoffs then the final Top 5 conference teams and 3 at large teams make up the 8 team playoffs.

plus making it mandatory that ND joins a conference(ACC ot BIG) it’s BS they remain independent. If everyone refuses to play them they’d have no choice but to.😂🤣👍🏻

Reactions: aholdren

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Going to be an interesting game. Tapatalk or not. Guess it depends on which Buckeye team shows up. Is it just me, or does every year feel this way? In regards to which Buckeyes are going to show up? 😁

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Going to be an interesting game. Tapatalk or not. Guess it depends on which Buckeye team shows up. Is it just me, or does every year feel this way? In regards to which Buckeyes are going to show up? 😁
I’m wondering if they ran the well dry getting too the big game.....