Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

College Football Thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Boo hoo. Bull shit. Bama lost. 🤣

But go on thinking what you want. My reply makes Buckeye fans feel better. 🤣

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You gotta admit though if William's didn't trash his knee that game would have gone a whole other direction. Metchie the other star reciever suffered a similar injury in the first game against Ga in the SEC championship. Put those two players, or even 1 of them back on the field and the NC would have been a repeat of the SEC championship. I don't think GA "adjusted" so much as Bama just lost critical talent.
I agree but being devils advocate, isn’t Bama loaded with 4&5 star players lining the bench waiting on their chance to get in or does their talent drop off that much at the second team?
Buckeyes played with out their top two starters but they had players strop up to assume their role as did many other teams. I guess it’s the world the college football playoffs live these days.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree but being devils advocate, isn’t Bama loaded with 4&5 star players lining the bench waiting on their chance to get in or does their talent drop off that much at the second team?
Buckeyes played with out their top two starters but they had players strop up to assume their role as did many other teams. I guess it’s the world the college football playoffs live these days.

They are but play time with the QB matters. Talent is there to be developed for sure but even a 4-5 star recruit isn't going to be capable of stepping in to win a natty as a true freshman. The QB tried to get in reps with the backup receivers prior to the playoff games but Bama was about 4 deep in the roster at that point. It was pretty obvious in the throws and almost catches that the rythm was considerably off. But the stats don't lie, those two were critical components to wins. Two dropped in the endzone and one on the 10 would have been very easy catches for William's or Metchie.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's a TEAM sport. Not a Williams or Metchie sport. The TEAM from Alabama got beat by the TEAM from Georgia

True. A TEAM with roles, all focused on scoring points, and when a critical part is missing it doesn't function correctly to achieve the desired result. Your vehicle is a team of parts, remove the transmission and it goes nowhere. Reality still stands. Put one of those two key players back in the game and it would have been a repeat of the SEC championship. Remove their contributions from the SEC championship game and it would look the same as the natty did. In that game the two combined for 50 percent of the completions, 100 percent of the touchdowns and two thirds of the receiving yards.

Last edited:

JARHEAD

Behind you
Most teams, including the Buckeyes, have injuries thru the year or players out with covid but guess what, next man up! Bama is no different. Next man up. In this case it didn't work out for ya. It sucks for ya but it is what it is.

Reactions: hickslawns

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Most teams, including the Buckeyes, have injuries thru the year or players out with covid but guess what, next man up! Bama is no different. Next man up. In this case it didn't work out for ya. It sucks for ya but it is what it is.

Always, and Bama has the depth. But when you get 4 down in the roster for a position, especially when two of them are lost in the last games of the season even great teams will struggle to overcome that. That's just reality, and to my previous point that I don't think Ga "adjusted" in so much as Bama lost critical talent since the last match. Ga no doubt came out with heart and fire, but just when bama started to open the passing game William's blew his knee on a hell of a catch and run that likely would have been a TD if not for the ACL. The Ga defense was stout, taking away the pass threat really allowed them to focus in on stopping any kind of run game. If you can't pass, and you can't run, you ain't winning a football game.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
With all the 4&5 star players that Bama has, you mean to tell me that nobody but Williams can run the routes and catch a football?! Yall got beat. That's it
He's not arguing that. Literally just stating, in his opinion, if William's doesnt blow his knee out, Bama very likely rolls through Georgia. I agree with him. I'm a neutral fan, as I hate both teams. But Georgia caught a huge break there

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
With all the 4&5 star players that Bama has, you mean to tell me that nobody but Williams can run the routes and catch a football?! Yall got beat. That's it

See my previous reply. Of course there are others. What there isnt is a 4-5 star true freshman in the country that can step in to a national championship game and make up for the talent loss of two seasoned seniors since they last played Ga three games ago. To expect that to be possible is extremely unrealistic regardless of someone's recruiting star hype. Bama did get beat, that's undeniable, but they got beat for the exact reason I stated, loss of critical talent.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jesus christ, Joe sound exactly like one of those buckeyes fans he hates.

Nah. It's easy to pinpoint what goes wrong with Bama because they're pretty dang consistent. Usually when it happens it's because a part of the system broke down, not some mysterious WTF moment because they choked or didn't get off the bus for half a game. 😅🖕🏿

• Haha
Reactions: aholdren and giles

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Joe you got a receiver that the bucks would not field and he got injured! Yes if you had him and metchie with your heisman QB it’s an automatic NC! Shame your Heisman had to play without his best receivers! I lost $ cause “like most didn’t figure bama would lose 2 receivers” vs the dogs! Still one of the better NC games I’ve watched!!!

Reactions: Jackalope

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Still scratching my head how Young is the best player in the entire country. Lol

Might as well have given the past 12 Heismans to every QB Bama had starting! Lol Exception of the years they lost of course.

and another thing, why aren’t ALL individual awards determined AFTER the bowl games so their performance in a game with much more on the line plus against a good team are factored in? What if a Heisman recipient threw 4 picks and lost a fumble in the bowl game, shouldn’t that be counted? Also if these guys are a finalist after the season maybe they’d play in the bowl game so they could win that award to add it to their resume’.🤷🏻‍♂️

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Still scratching my head how Young is the best player in the entire country. Lol

Might as well have given the past 12 Heismans to every QB Bama had starting! Lol Exception of the years they lost of course.

and another thing, why aren’t ALL individual awards determined AFTER the bowl games so their performance in a game with much more on the line plus against a good team are factored in? What if a Heisman recipient threw 4 picks and lost a fumble in the bowl game, shouldn’t that be counted? Also if these guys are a finalist after the season maybe they’d play in the bowl game so they could win that award to add it to their resume’.🤷🏻‍♂️

I completely agree. I am not a fan of QBs winning the Heisman. Great recievers make good QBs look fantastic by adjusting to the ball. It should predominantly be for backs and occasionally a QB that tracks up some personal rushing yards.

Reactions: finelyshedded