Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Custom turkey strikers

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Look up Lonnie Sneed, Joe. The guys calls look like shit, apparently they sound great because people buy em up.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Don't get me wrong man obviously you can't give up sound quality for looks, and lord knows I don't know the first dang thing about making one or how to make em sound good. I was just offering an observation that if you could impart symmetry of design without impacting function then you can gain in visual ascetics also. For example the turkey foot one above. Would it have sacrificed the sound quality if he turned either the turkey foot or the hole jig a half inch to make them line up? I think if someone is buying a custom call they expect the sound to be on point, but visual ascetics to me is the difference between a $60 call and a $90 call. Like I said bud I don't know shit all about making turkey calls so take it for what its worth.

Next time I am out in the shop I will laminate a few blanks
Probably walnut and maple for contrast. You can try to line up the sound holes and make jack happy

And yes I do like the fact that wood from my property is becoming turkey calls. And the feather in mine came from my last trip to the ranch in Florida. That trip was awesome we all tagged out. And caught tons of bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Beautiful riser Greg!

I gotta agree with Joe on the symmetry thing, but I'm severely OCD when it comes to that kind of stuff. If I'm buying one I'm buying it for the sound quality though that's for sure... Looks are secondary.

I have to commend you on your craftsmanship, Chad. I don't comment often on this thread but I follow it regularly. Your progress from those first few strikers to what you're crafting now is impressive to say the least. Some of these pot calls look almost too pretty to hunt with!

Reactions: Bigslam51

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Chad,
I feel as though I'm coming across as a dick and want you to know that is not my intention. The sound and craftsmanship of the calls you're producing is top notch. I love to see people succeed at what they're doing and always want to do anything I can to help. There is a melody to commodities in life; jewelry is beautiful but serves no real function, an impact wrench is ugly but has a very useful function. You can't add beauty to an impact wrench as an improvement. There are few commodities where you can combine beauty and function for a truly amazing item. Functionally you can shoot trap with either a Mossberg Silver Reserve and a Perazzi MX8, both will bust clays. But there is a reason one costs $700 and the other $7,000. If you can add beauty through detail without impacting functionality then that's a winning combination my friend.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I understand what you're saying. It's apparently something I've been overlooking and will keep an eye on for future calls. I can't really do much with sound hole orientation on solid wood pot calls, I've only made 3 of those laminated pots where the hole orientation could play a part in looks. I will not be building many laminates because I don't have the tools necessary at this time.