Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer steak fajitas

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy dropped off some rear quarters already smoked the other night. Tonight Erin made the fixings and I grilled the steaks. We cut them into slices and made fajitas out of them. Thought you might enjoy the idea. They were dee-lish!

I grilled them just a tad too long, but they were still good. Erin made the guacamole up herself. Grilled some onions/peppers, added some shredded cheese and sour creme, some tomatoes and rolled them up!

Attachments

• IMG00686-20110517-1800 Deer steak fajitas.jpg
    IMG00686-20110517-1800 Deer steak fajitas.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG00687-20110517-1828 Deer steak fajitas.jpg
    IMG00687-20110517-1828 Deer steak fajitas.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 203

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I have a buddy that always has his garage open for everyone during the week of gun season for cards and beer after the hunt. Only rule is, any deer that is harvested at least one inner loin gets thrown in a zip lock and thrown in the fridge. Then on Saturday evening of gun, they all get grilled and diced up for deer fajita night and a hold 'em tournament.

Man you guys got me thinking now... may have to thaw out some meat and have some fajitas. I don't think I've cooked them up that way since gun season '09. Damn!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I posted that for you Dale! You always make my mouth water when you show your meals and I thought I would share!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
i need to find a new processor, between what I ate at dales that him and larry had and all the pictures you guys posted, my processor sucks. My steaks never look anything like what you guys have.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
What cuts of meat do you get steaks made from? I usually just cut out both back straps, cut them about an 1" or 1.5" steaks and butterfly them myself. Then I just vacuum seal them into packs of two or four and freeze them. That's usually the only part of the deer that I get made into steaks. The rest goes to jerky/summer sausage or ground. I may take a roast or two out just to crock pot or something.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
thats what I need to start doing. just the backstraps into steaks....and jerkey/sausage the rest.

I dont know what all he makes the steaks out of, but they arent ever really good.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wayne- Mine don't usually look that good. My buddy had a ton smoked over the weekend and dropped these off because they couldn't eat them all and he didn't want them to go bad. I try to do mine myself, and they aren't this pretty. lol

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
thats what I need to start doing. just the backstraps into steaks....and jerkey/sausage the rest.

I dont know what all he makes the steaks out of, but they arent ever really good.

Another thing I do is just cut the back straps in half, then vacuum seal them in halves, then you can thaw em out and cut them to whatever size you want. Sometimes I like mine real thick, sometimes I want them a little thinner, so that works out a little better.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
thanks for the info...i'll remember that. This year I want to really get into cutting up my own deer. Raher do that than take em to the processor. I want to fill every tag I can and donate alot to the hungry as well.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
thanks for the info...i'll remember that. This year I want to really get into cutting up my own deer. Raher do that than take em to the processor. I want to fill every tag I can and donate alot to the hungry as well.

I agree. I usually put 2 in the freezer and that is plenty for us. I didn't get a chance to fill a 3rd tag last year, but the plan is to take a 3rd this year and donate it to the FHFH. Seems like a pretty good program.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree. I usually put 2 in the freezer and that is plenty for us. I didn't get a chance to fill a 3rd tag last year, but the plan is to take a 3rd this year and donate it to the FHFH. Seems like a pretty good program.

You are hooked up with the right guy then Drake. My buddy started the Allen County chapter last year. We could use some help spreading the word about it! I am listed as something on the chapter. I think "Assistant" or something. Basically, I pass out cards and info at events we are selling tree stands, and tell everyone I know about it. Donated some stands to raffle off at the banquet too!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
You are hooked up with the right guy then Drake. My buddy started the Allen County chapter last year. We could use some help spreading the word about it! I am listed as something on the chapter. I think "Assistant" or something. Basically, I pass out cards and info at events we are selling tree stands, and tell everyone I know about it. Donated some stands to raffle off at the banquet too!

Awesome! Especially since the archery "early" doe permits. I usually end up harvesting a doe with one of those tags and then a buck or another doe. Problem is after I have two tags filled I start getting lazy in January and not hitting it as hard as I should.

Maybe I should change my approach and donate the first doe, then maybe that will keep me hard after it through January!