Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer still holding

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I went down yesterday to check my cams and scout for turkeys. I was surprised to see a buck I call "crabclaw" still holding his set. This will be one of the deer I will have my eyes on this summer. He could fall into my hitlist category if he puts on some more inches this summer. Right I would estimate him in the low 120's, but that's a guess on looking at camera photos. He's got great width, he's all ready outside the ears, but he is lacking in mass.

Attachments

• DSC_0618.JPG
    DSC_0618.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_0651.JPG
    DSC_0651.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 171

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That buck's got some good potential! Last year, the day before turkey season opened, I was sitting out in the woods listening for gobbles, and a small 6 pt with both sides still on walked right out in front of me. It was April 16 or 17th or something like that. Definitely the latest I've seen one holding on.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I remember hearing that if there are does that are still cycling through estrus it causes the bucks to maintain a higher testosterone level therefore keeping the bone on longer.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I saw a basket 8 with both sides last week on my drive to work. Shocked me to the point I stopped to watch he and a doe he was with for a min.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
I have witnessed a buck still carrying in may....I had heard a guy shot him during archery season but it wasn't fatal. I figured that would of made him drop earlier but he held them longer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Antlered does? Yearlings born late in the year? If yearlings, I would love to see them at 2-4yrs old. haha Those are pretty nice deer!