Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DIY poison ivy relief

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I had a couple but wasn’t too bad. I’m surprised I didn’t get any poison ivy on me when taking a shit in the wood, I wore sandals and shorts.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Last time and only other time I had chiggers was once at Mingo. Even then it was contained to just my ankles. This time was fucking horrible and made Sunday and Monday a nightmare. Both sides of my waist look like the pic I posted and I have other bites all over the back of my thighs from my knees to my waist. Next time I'm soaking in Repel bug spray.

Reactions: MoonLab

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Making up a batch of salve.

20200903_211154.jpg

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
For years I’ve told people about jewel weed for treating poison ivy and other skin irritants. This year while hiking I got the kids into some stinging needles and it worked on that too. Bee stings and just about anything I’ve tried it on, works.

It’s generally all around if you know what to look for. Right now in SW Ohio it is in bloom and very easy to spot with its little orange flowers.
View attachment 84613View attachment 84614View attachment 84615View attachment 84617
The edge of my yard is covered in these and it grows everywhere. Very common to grow near poison ivy.

I usually pull a plant from the ground, cut the main stem and rub it directly on the irritated skin.

What do you do in the winter/spring when you don’t have fresh plants around? Easy peasy! You take your lazy butt outside this time of year (when they are easiest to spot) and go harvest you some.

-Take some plants and uproot them. Cut them into pieces that’ll fit in a gallon ziplock bag and seal it up.

-Once you get home you start some boiling water.

-You can either chop on a cutting board or use a food processor to really chop it up.

-Add to boiling water and let it boil for 5 minutes or so.

-Let it cool.

-Poor into ice cube trays and freeze.

-Once frozen I put them back into that same ziplock bag I harvested the plant from. Because I’m cheap. Lol

Very easy process and this stuff works better than anything I’ve ever bought. I will likely make some in the next couple of days so if many are interested in the process I listed above, I can take pics.

Feel free to ask any questions or post what you use or do for skin irritants. Best thing about this is the kids, nothing worse than a kid with poison ivy. This generally only takes one application and the problem is gone!
Ok doc I need a prescription for a beer 🍺

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
It's about that time...

20210815_134153.jpg

I noticed when I was out pulling TC memory cards moments ago, our jewel weed is now starting to bloom, which about ready or very soon to be. So, I'll be informing the wife about it and get ready to get on it to get this year's batch going. Looks like we're going to have another bumper crop too, which is good.

Thought I'd pass along if anyone else hasn't noticed already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla and CJD3