Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dock workers strike

Bigcountry40

Maybe you don't realize I was in a union for 6 years?

As a business owner I do NOT come in at a higher than giraffe coochie price and negotiate down. I would look like a crook for asking such a high price to start with. I bid to make a fair wage. If they don't like it, maybe we can lower their needs/wants or hire someone else. We have a waiting list. I'm not losing sleep over it.

In a free market they laugh off the demands of the union. They hire other workers at $100-125k/yr and maybe $15-20k benefit packages. I'm not here to bash unions. They served (past tense) their place. It was a great thing we had them at the time. Unfortunately, it seems like they are pricing their workers out of jobs now.
I would argue that the more successful a small business gets the more they become like a union with their fellow small business competitors. If I were to call 3 successful well respected tree trimming companies, all would be within a couple hundred of each other on the higher end of bidding. What’s the difference between that an a well skilled set of tradesmen bargaining better wages 🤔. If a company wants their shit unloaded by sketchy fuck sticks, it may end up on the bottom of the ocean much like a shitty tree trimming business puts tree through your house.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you say so. I get your thinking. Maybe in small towns it could happen. If you are a successful business you know you incremental costs of doing business. You establish pricing based upon costs and desired profit margin. Unless you have a niche market with no competition. . . Most of them have similar costs and bid as high as they feel their local market will bear. There is some validity in what you say. I don't think there is price fixing taking place though. Not for me anyway. That is illegal.