Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dodge Ram 1500

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ok, so I have a paid off 03' Tacoma. I'm ready to move into a bigger truck. I have found a pretty damn good deal online from a dealer in Pa for a 2011 Big Horn with the premium sound package (very important to me).
I'd hate to go from no payments to payments around $400 a month. That is my big hang up. Do I splurge? Three kids are crammed in my Tacoma. Plus, damn it, I deserve it! Lol

Any thoughts on these trucks or what a dumbass I am for taking on a payment?

Schu72

Streetsboro
We pile the enitre family in my big horn. Room is no issue. This is my second. Had a 2005 and this one is a 2008. No problems at 39K.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hey you're the one who has to make the payments.... So only you can decide..... And like you haven't made your mind up already anyways..... :smiley_clap:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I hate payments, lots of things I can do (that I deserve) with $4-500 a month PER vehicle. I'm driving a '99 Dodge 3/4 ton and plan to drive it at least 1 more year.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I say go for it! It isn't my money.

If it were my money I would save that $400 a month and in a year between the Yota and $5k you have saved it would drop your principal to start a ton. Or wait two years and have $10k...or wait three years....

Beentown

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I would say go for it...might as well enjoy life :) Then again, you could always go the used route and potentially save a bunch.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would say go for it...might as well enjoy life :) Then again, you could always go the used route and potentially save a bunch.

The used ones are running around $28,000.
This new one stickers at $40,000 and it is down to $31,000 online. Plus, still some minor negotiating to do yet.

If only my daughter was out of daycare. She is preschool age next school year but we don't have all day preschool. So, she prob stays in daycare and that is my truck payment. Damn!

This is a tough one. The only reason I'm really considering it is because of the great deal I'm getting. This truck is frigging loaded!

badger

*Supporting Member*
I'm driving a "00" F150 extended cab 4x4 that I ordered. It presently has 190,000 and runs good but needs a few repairs mechanically and body wise. I have been looking at a few options including leasing which I've never been a fan of. I think I'm going to plop a few grand into this one (which I have at hand) and not take on the payment. I'm the only owner of this truck and know what needs done to keep it alive. If I use the cash on hand I have for repairs vs a down payment, I will be back in business and get this one by for another year or so. The money I'm not paying for a loan can be saved for a substantial down payment on something in the future resulting in a lower monthly payment when I do have to take the plunge.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Go for it, you deserve it. I am on my second Ram 1500 Quad cab with a family of four. The one I have now is a Big Horn edition and I will never be with out a full size 4 door truck...I love it! My wife has a mini van but even when we take my truck we all fit just fine.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I have a 2009 Laramie, and I love it. Its got the hemi, power everything, and the premium sound. Its not a fantastic stereo system but it rocks when you want it to.

I hate payments as well, but as any other middle class guy, guess what? Im gonna have them

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
badger;42621I have been looking at a few options including leasing which I've never been a fan of[/QUOTE said:
I will never lease another vehicle again......It worked out really well when my wife only worked 5 min from the house and got to drive a co. vehicle every day. Now that she has to use hers andputs on tons of miles , I had to buy my lease out. I wont do it again, I checked on what the mileage would have cost me if I would have decided to turn the lease in.....Wow do they stick it to you on..plus, they say, tires, brakes, etc...they love to get every penny out of you

Buckmaster

Portage
IF Senate Bill 5 passes you won't have the money to buy that new truck Cotty. I say keep the Tacoma for a couple more years.

When in doubt buy used. They depreciate anyways and in a few years they will be worth $ 1500.00 here in Ohio. Put your money in an IRA or your kids 529 plan.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
IF Senate Bill 5 passes you won't have the money to buy that new truck Cotty. I say keep the Tacoma for a couple more years.

When in doubt buy used. They depreciate anyways and in a few years they will be worth $ 1500.00 here in Ohio. Put your money in an IRA or your kids 529 plan.

That's not necessarily true man... It's not that harsh.

epe

Lancaster
Not sure how the new rams are, but I knew of a couple with tranny problems. If a good stereo is a main selling point, you could spend a grand and put a Killer stereo in your yota. I fix up the stereos in all my vehicles. Getting ready to upgrade the door speakers in my Toyota t-100 truck. No payments are great.

sent from my HTC evo

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not sure how the new rams are, but I knew of a couple with tranny problems. If a good stereo is a main selling point, you could spend a grand and put a Killer stereo in your yota. I fix up the stereos in all my vehicles. Getting ready to upgrade the door speakers in my Toyota t-100 truck. No payments are great.

sent from my HTC evo

That's not the main selling point. That is just a perk I want. The main selling point is looks and upgrade in size. If I put my whole family on my Tacoma we fit, but it's tight.
I still don't know what I'm going to do. I might go look and drive one tomorrow. The problem is, the only place that has the one I want and that has the right price is 1 1/2 hours away. Bummer...