Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dodge Ram 1500

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Alright Schu and RGecko, you guys seem to be my resident experts on the Ram. My dealer, and myself, have had a hard time finding a Big Horn with the Alpine sound system. He did find one with the 430 radio plus Nav system.
My question is, is there a big difference in the Alpine sound vs. The 430 radio?
I'm kinda crunched for time because all of the incentives run out at the end of the month. There's discounts out the wazoo that have me at my desired payment.
There is a Sport Edition (white) available with the Alpine, but the payments are 25 more a month. I'd be paying 25 more for sound and leather seats. my holdback in the Sport is the painted bumpers.
The Big Horn has chrome bumpers but cloth seats and the 430 radio. I'm looking white with that as well. Both crew cab.

Thoughts?

Also, for the rest of you... which truck you like best? The top is the Sport model. The bottom is the Big Horn model. The Sport is $25 more a month. (DISCLAIMER: The dealers in the pic are not where I'm dealing. These are pics from yahoo)

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
Mike, sound isn't a dealbreaker for me and it can always be upgraded later on. I was hoping to get an infinity sound sytem with my 2008 but they were few and far between. The deal they made me on mine was TOO good to pass up. It had the fun and sun package as well as a ton of other options. I must say I love my leather, with a pet and kids it's hard to beat. I'm partial to the chrome, but love the hood scoop on the sport.

Here's a picture of mine. Its not all shined up, but you'll get the idea.

Last edited:

huntn2

Hudson, OH
If it were me Mike I would go with the big horn. Sound and leather may be nice, but I would struggle justifying the extra $25/month, $300/year or $1500 over a 60 month loan for the improved sound and leather.

You may stain the cloth seats, but hell, you can throw seat covers on for less than the increase in payment. I would rather save on the payment and put it towards tires down the road when they need replaced. Additionally, from an appearance standpoint, I have always liked the chrome bumpers over the painted fascias but as epe pointed out it means having to stay on top of the cleaning especially with all the salt on the roads in winter. Then again, how many people keep their paint clean but the frame is rusted to hell underneath?!?!?!

So after rambling, I would go for the big horn to take advantage of a cheaper payment.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Noted fellas... Thanks! Good points by all.

Another question, regardless of which I choose... The dealer is trying to get me to do the undercoating spray. It gives a lifetime warranty against any inside out rusting. Most guys have been saying don't do it. It's a ploy to make more money.
Thoughts?

Schu, sweet truck! I thought about the deep red, but I've had red on my last two trucks. I'm thinking it's time for a change.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I actually wanted the metallic gray. My 2005 was midnight blue/silver two-tone. Loved that color scheme. My new tires should be in this week and maybe a line-x bedliner this year. Boys and their toys....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Personally I like the Sport model's hood scoops but think it is TOO white. You need something to break it up a bit. I have never had a vehicle with leather but I hear they are nice. Sound systems are good, but it is an easy upgrade later. After all, it is your money we are spending. Easy choice when it isn't coming out of your wallet. haha My favorite truck combo is the one with cloth seats and rubber floor mats, this way you don't have to buy the Husky liners right away. Get them for Christmas or your birthday. Husky floor liners are a must in my vehicles. I even have them in my Jeep.

Almost forgot to mention, painted bumpers can rust too.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I would go Big Horn and take that extra you save and stuff it away. They make a load leveling kit for pickups now that gets you just under 3" of lift and you can fit 33+ on it ;) $250. Plus a $1k on tires. You still have $250 left over for two details.

Chrome bumpers rust, painted bumpers chip...toss up. I have the Nav/Cd system in my Hemi Durango and it is nice to have. The only thing is it is $150 to update the maps every few years if you choose to. Get the bed with gun racks :)

Beentown

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Hicks PMed me and said he really thinks you should look into a Dodge Cummins, and put dual stacks on it. He thinks they look nifty :) lol. Invest in some 300 horse fuel injectors, an edge comp box, a smarty tuner, dual turbos, bigger fuel lines, some temp. and pressure gauges and a modified tranny.

You'll be the coolest teacher at school.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I absolutely HATE chrome. I think its played o0ut. thats why I got mine with the painted bumpers. only thing chrome on mine is the grill and the wheels and they are getting painted black this summer.

I would go with the alpine though, it rocks prtty good. I hook my droid X up to it, chenge the EQ on my phone and its jams pretty good. Thats playing pandora from the net to my phone, to my truck.

You will be happy with it. I never get the undercoating and never had a problem. They tried to give me that on 96 mustang and 197,000 miles later the frame was fine. Thats a personal preference though.

I put seat covers on mine as soon as I got it home. I dont hate leather, but would rather do without it. but to get he package I wanted I had to get leather. It looks really nice though. The seats are really comfortable too. Your spending all that monjey anyway, spend the little extra and get what you want. you will be happier in the end.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Damn, I hate to against your recommendation, but I already struck the deal on the chrome one.
It doesn't have the Aline system. They are just so hard to find. The only one we found was gold with bench front seat. I wanted the bucket seats.
The stereo I got is 430 with the touch screen. I hope it is good. Have you heard the difference between the two?
The dealer sent their driver today to get the truck up at Avon lake. I'm pretty much committed now.

I will have to add tubes and tonneau cover later.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I havent heard the othe one no. The only other stero I heard was in the offroad version one I test drove. ( I would have been happy with that one too) and it sounded OK. The Alpine system will not blow you away though. Its not like the Bose systems that GM has. thats a kickin stereo.

just look at it this way. Now you get to mod it yourself to your own likeing. I have to mod what I get no matter what. Just look at my old F-150. I modded the crap out of that one. Its too mcuh fun, and its in my blood to make what car I have faster and better looking.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm in a major pickle. Another dealer just called and matched the price of the Big Horn with a white and beige Laramie! It has everything!!!! Sound system, leather, etc...
Problem, the dealer here already sent for the other truck. It would be a major dick move to switch deals, but that is a fabulous truck.
My conscious tells me stick with original deal
The devil on my shoulder tells me to take the upgrade.
Now what?!?!?

epe

Lancaster
How many times have dealers dicked people over? Are they making the payments? Too big of a commitment to not be 100% happy.

sent from my HTC evo