Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

Big H

Medina
Apparently I don't know how to add, 8 girls 4 boys. I think? LOL We are supplemental feeding the two little ones and may just start doing all of them today just to help Skye out. We marked and weighed them all to keep track of their weight. Heaviest is 10.6 and the smallest are at 4.6 and 6.2 ounces. We are obviously worried about the little one and are keeping a close eye on her.

Big H

Medina
Awesome! You've got some work ahead of you! lol

A lot more than we anticipated Jim. We ended up at the emergency clinic last night at 10:30 and didn't get home until almost 2:00 am. Skye just wasn't acting right and didn't want to eat. Puppies looked skinny also, we were helping her with the smaller ones. Kristi took her temp and it was 104.1 so we loaded everyone up and went to the vet. Skye has a uterus infection from so many pups etc..., they gave her subcutaneous fluids and she is now on antibiotics. They would only let one of us in there( I was not happy about that especially when Skye wanted to stay with me), so Kristi went in. Long story short, the neonatal nurse taught Kristi how to tube feed since the pups don't like the bottle nipples and the make-up sponge trick was taking entirely too long. We are now tube feeding the pups every couple hours to help supplement Skye's milk. They have already put on some weight from yesterday. Skye is acting a little better but is still not herself.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
You will also have to use a wet warm towel on the puppies bottom to stimulate going to the bathroom. The bitch normally licks them to do this and eat it. Great to have 12 pups but a curse at the same time.

My dog years ago was the best dog I ever had and smart as a whip. Show her something one time and never had to teach it again. She had pups late at night, I was sleeping and she freaked. Went down to check the n her around 4am and there was 8 puppies screaming. She was freaked out and didn’t want anything to do w them. She had 3 more during the next day. She didn’t wNt them nursing on her nor wanted to lick them. We bottle fed them and used a warm cloth to stimulate going to the bathroom. This was worse case scenario. Good luck with your dog and puppies.

Reactions: Big H

Big H

Medina
Thanks for the input triple. We are wiping them right before we tube them. She is still not acting right and her gums are pale so Kristi is running her back up to the vet. Temperature is back to normal but

Reactions: Big_Holla
I’d like to post a pic of our serial killer, Mia. She’s 5 years old. 3 raccoons, 1 possum, 6 rabbits plus countless babies, 1 skunk (that was a horrible night), 2 feral neighborhood cats, and unknown amounts of squirrels. She is also the sweetest, most gentle dog you could ever meet, as long as you are a dog or human. Lol
20C5C02B-C06A-48C7-B9CD-5A7CC031D56C.png

Big H

Medina
Finally some good news! Skye spent the night in the ICU at Animal Clinic Northview. She not only had an infection, she had severe pancreatitis. Her levels were off the charts. Vet had told us to feed her a high fat high protein food, so we had been giving her frozen Bil-Jac. Apparently she couldn't handle it? We have been tube feeding the pups every two hours since yesterday. Vet just called and said Skye will be coming home today! Also, they said she is producing a lot of milk now and they feel she hopefully will be able to take care of all of them. We will continue to monitor weights and supplement feed if necessary. Pups are going in to have tails docked and dew claws done at 1:00 and Skye will be coming home with them. I have been a mess, I have had dogs my entire life and have never been as attached to one as I am with this LBD, so to say I am relieved is an understatement.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A lot more than we anticipated Jim. We ended up at the emergency clinic last night at 10:30 and didn't get home until almost 2:00 am. Skye just wasn't acting right and didn't want to eat. Puppies looked skinny also, we were helping her with the smaller ones. Kristi took her temp and it was 104.1 so we loaded everyone up and went to the vet. Skye has a uterus infection from so many pups etc..., they gave her subcutaneous fluids and she is now on antibiotics. They would only let one of us in there( I was not happy about that especially when Skye wanted to stay with me), so Kristi went in. Long story short, the neonatal nurse taught Kristi how to tube feed since the pups don't like the bottle nipples and the make-up sponge trick was taking entirely too long. We are now tube feeding the pups every couple hours to help supplement Skye's milk. They have already put on some weight from yesterday. Skye is acting a little better but is still not herself.
That's scary stuff. Betty actually developed a uterine infection too. Thankfully we caught it really early and she snapped out of it pretty quickly after the antibiotics kicked in.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Finally some good news! Skye spent the night in the ICU at Animal Clinic Northview. She not only had an infection, she had severe pancreatitis. Her levels were off the charts. Vet had told us to feed her a high fat high protein food, so we had been giving her frozen Bil-Jac. Apparently she couldn't handle it? We have been tube feeding the pups every two hours since yesterday. Vet just called and said Skye will be coming home today! Also, they said she is producing a lot of milk now and they feel she hopefully will be able to take care of all of them. We will continue to monitor weights and supplement feed if necessary. Pups are going in to have tails docked and dew claws done at 1:00 and Skye will be coming home with them. I have been a mess, I have had dogs my entire life and have never been as attached to one as I am with this LBD, so to say I am relieved is an understatement.
Yikes! Glad they caught it! Northview is one of the best vet offices around. That's where we did all of Betty's reproduction work.

What are you feeding her now? Purina Pro Plan puppy chow is what most recommend. I've been feeding that and also her regular Dr. Tim's Pursuit... It's an "all ages" food with 30% protein and 20% fat, with a high calcium content as well. The calcium is super important, which is why most vets recommend feeding the bitch puppy food (high calcium content). If the bitch is deficient on calcium, she'll slowly break down and get sick, as she's putting it all into the milk for the pups.

Big H

Medina
Yikes! Glad they caught it! Northview is one of the best vet offices around. That's where we did all of Betty's reproduction work.

What are you feeding her now? Purina Pro Plan puppy chow is what most recommend. I've been feeding that and also her regular Dr. Tim's Pursuit... It's an "all ages" food with 30% protein and 20% fat, with a high calcium content as well. The calcium is super important, which is why most vets recommend feeding the bitch puppy food (high calcium content). If the bitch is deficient on calcium, she'll slowly break down and get sick, as she's putting it all into the milk for the pups.

Thanks for the input Jim, she will actually be on a prescription dog food from the vet for the foreseeable future to help her out. And yes, Northview is very good, they are one of the best reproductive vet offices in the country.

Reactions: jagermeister

Bowkills

Nw oh
She even said don't take the kids hunting we all need a family night together stay home take a night off!!!! Surprise!! a golden curly long haired rat.....if it'd been a lab, German, shepherd, another Jack Russell, pointer, did I say lab, I'd be holding and embarrassing a new member to the family......but we got a rat .

She even said don't take the kids hunting we all need a family night together stay home take a night off!!!! Surprise!! a golden curly long haired rat.....if it'd been a lab, German, shepherd, another Jack Russell, pointer, did I say lab, I'd be holding and embarrassing a new member to the family......but we got a rat .
That sucks. Fucking rat dogs are the worst. And the problem is if you don’t put in the time and effort to train it, no one will. And then you have 14 years of a shitty rat dog that you hate. Best of luck!