Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I’m sorry Phil.
Every dog I have had and in the end, buried left me with a tear on my cheek . I always swear it’s the last one but but in time, I get another. A dog adds so much to a mans life.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Definitely sorry to hear that Phil. Had hoped he was on the mend and make a full recovery.
Thanks Chuck. He WAS on the mend. Hadn't had an accident. Running and playing daily. Thought we were good. This came on suddenly. Maybe an hour and he was filled up. The syringe of fluid the vet took was blood. Looked watery like a gut shot deer type blood. Something wasn't right. Heart? Good chance it was failing according to vet. We opted to put him down. Struggling to breath was the deciding factor. Can't have our dogs feeling like they are suffocating. That is not an existence.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
So sorry for your loss....it’s always tough losing a part of your family. I also didn’t want to endure that pain again and was dead set against getting another dog. We missed not hearing the pitter-patter of feet in the house for a few months, so we got a rescue dog, then a year later got another. They give us so much happiness and unconditional love that I’m glad we did. It will be very painful when their time comes but I think the 10-15 years you get to spend with them is worth it. Wish they lived a lot longer. I hope you get another one when you’re ready.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So sorry for your loss....it’s always tough losing a part of your family. I also didn’t want to endure that pain again and was dead set against getting another dog. We missed not hearing the pitter-patter of feet in the house for a few months, so we got a rescue dog, then a year later got another. They give us so much happiness and unconditional love that I’m glad we did. It will be very painful when their time comes but I think the 10-15 years you get to spend with them is worth it. Wish they lived a lot longer. I hope you get another one when you’re ready.

We do still have a beagle. She is a bit of a loner though. I see her as "the kids' dog." Hank was my shadow. If I went upstairs to bed, so did Hank. If I went out to the shop, so did Hank. If I went upstairs to hit the toilet or take a shower, Hank was in the hallway waiting for me to finish. Last night and today were somber. I'd hear a noise thinking he was pawing at the door to come in only to realize it was something else. I'd hear what I thought was Hank clumsily running up the stairs, then realized it was our oldest kid. I'm hearing "phantom noises" today. Keep reaching over the arm of my recliner expecting to have Hank nudging my hand looking for attention. Just part of the process. I've been there before. I'll be there again when the time is right.

Lundy

There has been a lot of heartbreak in this thread, part of it was owned by me and my family. When we lost Charlie we really didn't think we would ever get another dog, just too painful at the end. My wife decided after a few months that the joy and unconditional love these companions bring to our lives outweighs the terrible sadness that we feel when we lose our friend. As I posted earlier she decided to get another dog and came to me with her decision and even had the dog picked out that she wanted. After a long wait we picked up our new boy today. He was born on 11/16 and his name is Zebedee "Zeb". His name means "gift of God".

He will never replace Charlie, nor is he meant to, Charlie will always be Charlie in out hearts and Zeb will be Zeb. He is just the next chapter in our lives and we intend to enjoy our lives together for as long as we can. Today is his first day home and he restored the joy in our house that had been missing for so many months.
20190110_143346.jpg
First day home 1.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great update Kim. Looking forward to Future updates on Zeb.

Sorry if I got the thread all sappy. Much appreciation for getting us back to what it is all about: doggone good dogs! They truly do make many of us happy. As much as it hurts to lose them, I couldn't imagine life without them.

Reactions: giles and Sgt Fury

Lundy

Sorry if I got the thread all sappy. .

Hardly just you. There is no doubt in my mind that there have been a lot of tears shed by the posters in this one thread on this one topic when recounting losing their friend. I know I did, do and probably will again when I think of him, like today as I drove Zeb home. I realized that it only hurts so damn much when you lose them because of how much joy they provide to our lives when they are with us. If losing your dog doesn't rip you apart you missed an opportunity of fulfillment they were willing to unconditionally provide to you when they were alive, what a loss.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Isn't it crazy how much love and fulfillment we feel because of pets? I mean, they're just an animal for crying out loud. It's just wild. Nothing can compare to the love we feel for family and kids, obviously.... But like Giles said, dogs just fill a void the way that only dogs can. It really, REALLY, sucks when we have to say goodbye to them. But I feel sorry for anyone who never experiences the joy of owning a good dog.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Sorry for your loss Phil. I'm honored that I was able to share an evening in the woods with you and Hank. I'm nearing the same moment with our 12 year old lab, Bella. She's the first inside dog I ever owned. She had her tail lopped off at two years old due to cancer. Now she has a few lumps around her body. She sleeps alot but still likes to play with kids. Somedays she struggles to make it back up the stairs to the back door. I keep saying I won't own another. But I think every boy should have a dog. I want Greyson to understand the responsibility and bond that grows from it of his own pet