Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Annnnd we have another 10 yr birthday TOOday ! Sully's taking it easy. He's more of a slug, but if u wave a tennyball in front of him, he'll still knock you over and take your hand with it.....

20191027_210523.jpg

20190226_132830.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Our son in law had 2 shepherds when he met our daughter. He had them since they were pups. Shadow and Kilo. They were about 4 years apart in age. He had to put them down within a few years of each other due to declining health issues. He was attached too these two dogs on a very high level and it hit him hard losing them both. He had them cremated and had the ashes on his office desk.
My wife had been doing some reading and came across an article that highlighted a process that is being done where the ashes are inserted into glass globes and having a lighted base to them. You send the company the ashes and they basically hand blow the globe.
She sent some of the ashes of both dogs too them and received the globes and remaining ashes back in time for Xmas. We gave him his present last night.
It was an emotional gift for all involved and they turned out amazingly good. I had seen them before she wrapped them up but didnā€™t see them at night lit up.
If you ever go the route of cremation of a four legged buddy, this would be a truly fitting resting place for part of them. Itā€™s such a unique and special gift for those who have lost a friend.

The light that shines on the ceiling has the look of the infinity symbol.

Attachments

• 67D24815-A3C2-4287-8AA2-3DEE267990EA.jpeg
    67D24815-A3C2-4287-8AA2-3DEE267990EA.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 18E4C16F-750B-4737-8B01-2E8CFCB4BFD2.jpeg
    18E4C16F-750B-4737-8B01-2E8CFCB4BFD2.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 456

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's awesome Josh! Everyone has their preference when it comes to breeds of dogs, but I see labs as the Switchback of the dog world. No matter who you ask, they'll get a favorable review. Great dogs come in all forms and it's awesome the kids get to grow up with a great dog!

Reactions: triple_duece

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
One of my goals for next year is to advance my handling skills. @jagermeister hooked me up with a wealth of info (that I need to ship back you ya šŸ˜Ž), so I was able to develop a plan that I think will work for me and my dogs. We need a pond/slough/flooded field dog, so I aim to get one or two of those. River hunting will he an "advanced" dog that I get later in life. For now, these two are my training experiments. They're 10 months old and I've got a good feel for strengths/weaknesses, so it's up to me to capitalize on that over the next 10 months. I expect one/both to be ready for game time by October.

We've got some bad habits to break, but the foundation is pretty solid considering how terrible their handler is!

IMG_20191229_103849_624.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@bowhunter1023 feel free to keep those materials as long as you need to. Iā€™m in no rush to get them back.

You will find that having a dog that handles is so much more valuable than just having ā€œa dog.ā€ It will save you a never ending amount of wading and chasing when you can send a dog on a blind retrieve. And it will add a whole other level of satisfaction for you.

Eventually the T-drill and Swim-By will be your best friend when it comes to training to handle. But early on, donā€™t get too caught up in blowing that whistle. Your main goal in the early stages should be building momentum, teaching the dog to drive ā€œbackā€ with confidence. If you throw in too many whistles, youā€™ll instead develop a dog that lacks confidence and likes to ā€œpop,ā€ meaning it stops and turns around, essentially asking you for guidance, when you didnā€™t ask him too. You want that dog running hard on 150-200 yard straight ā€œbacksā€ before you even think about stopping him with whistles and hammering ā€œoverā€ casts. And for every one ā€œoverā€ cast you give, you should run at least 3-6 ā€œbacksā€ so you donā€™t risk losing that drive and momentum.

And like every other aspect of training, take your time and donā€™t rush through. Handling takes a lot of time and repetition to develop it correctly.