Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Look like a good day well spent. Walked for a mile an hour, cut the grass, clean out the inside of the firepit and added more dirt in it, drove around to get some breeze, a went for boneless wings from the local. He out, lol.
20200331_185525.jpg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
My white dog don’t have that problem, neither does the brown one. But that black one I had sure did. Hmmmm

It’s not a color thing Giles, cause I’ve had the opposite of you. Labs stay in the water, you have to take extra care of their ears. If it’s chronic the result will be your dog going deaf in the later years. There is also different types of ear infections so one medicine don’t work for all.

Jamie

Ohio
any of you sporting dog owners ever have a dog break off a canine tooth? Lefty broke one, within the last week or so, but we don't know how or when exactly. it is clearly bothering him. broke about in half, appears to be some of the root exposed. options are extraction or a root canal and crown. I'd rather put a crown on it, but it's going to be a bunch more money. not able to see the vet dentist until 4/17.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Like once a year when it happens. Doctor said its normal. He rarely get in water.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Jamie you need to get it fixed or removed before it gets infected. I’d say removing it will be the least expensive and your dog will do fine without it.

I typically won’t let my dog chew/eat bones and that goes for antlers also. Many dogs will injure their teeth chewing on them. Might not ever happen but when/if it does it’s not good.

It’s got to be very painful if your dog is reacting to it. They are way tougher than humans.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and Jamie

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hope Moonshine and Lefty are feeling better soon.

Otis is embarrassed. We have to put a shirt or something on him to go out. He's lost his winter fur. He is thin furred. Keeps getting sunburns. I don't want to goop sunscreen on him so we are trying the shirts. Poor kid is the laughing stock of the dog world right now. Unless it is for their protection, I am 100% against clothes on dogs. Life preservers, guide dogs, attire to keep them warm as they recover birds. . . I am okay with it. Bandanas get a pass as well. Here he is with an outgrown shirt we adapted.

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_160957.jpg
    IMG_20200407_160957.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200407_160927.jpg
    IMG_20200407_160927.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 92

Jamie

Ohio
any of you sporting dog owners ever have a dog break off a canine tooth? Lefty broke one, within the last week or so, but we don't know how or when exactly. it is clearly bothering him. broke about in half, appears to be some of the root exposed. options are extraction or a root canal and crown. I'd rather put a crown on it, but it's going to be a bunch more money. not able to see the vet dentist until 4/17.

we got him some anti-biotics and some pain meds from our local vet today to hold him over until we can get in to see the dog dentist. hoping to keep an infection at bay. I guess I'm waiting to see what the dent-vet says before we decide what to do.

Just have them pulled and move on jamie. One of the farms i help has a border collie named dan. Dan broke his top left and lower right. He is a good working dog but chews on everything...is dog house, chains, gates, field fencing, you name it he chews on it. They removed both teeth and it his not effected him. He eats fine and doesnt drool. Has not slowed down his chewing either. Lol. Pissy rams still respect them when he has to nip them on the nose.
20200409_051239.jpg

A sheep that is about to learn not to butt a dog named after Dan Wesson.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Pups will be 4 weeks tomorrow and the weening process is underway. I caught a few of them in Bailey's bowl earlier in the week, so I started giving them a slurry made from Purina Pro Plan puppy food and they went ape shit for it. She's still milked up good, so I'm proud of her mothering abilities through all this. I will say one thing, her eating their poop may be the most disgusting thing I ever witnessed. I've had deer stomachs blow up in my face, I've cleaned up plenty of puke, and changed thousands of diapers. Even her eating the embryonic sacs and placenta was fine because I under stood it was natural. But I wasn't prepared for the poop eating. 🤮

20200417_084907.jpg

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That silver bowl was my grandmother's and she actually used it for family meals. My dad took it and his first dog, Lex an AKC Doberman, ate from it. He was the first in a distinguished line of good dogs to accompany me through life. Mac, my dog through high school and college, also ate from that, as did Remi. Now all 3 of my dogs eat/water from it. It's the simple things that add joy to life.