Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

1630512949242.png

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here's a "pet peeve" that happened last night and it's the laziest excuse for poor obedience as there is.

Stop to get the girls at the sitter and their silver lab is out, which is rare since they keep both dogs locked in an 8x10 pen most of the time. As soon as I get out, the dog jumps on me. The response? "Oh, I don't know why she did that. She never does that. She must smell other dogs on you..."

1630520379901.png

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Here's a "pet peeve" that happened last night and it's the laziest excuse for poor obedience as there is.

Stop to get the girls at the sitter and their silver lab is out, which is rare since they keep both dogs locked in an 8x10 pen most of the time. As soon as I get out, the dog jumps on me. The response? "Oh, I don't know why she did that. She never does that. She must smell other dogs on you..."

View attachment 134450
Yes, I hate it when other people let their dogs jump on people. Get your Fuckin dog under control

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Agreed. Very annoying and rude.

To be fair, not many people are “good” dog trainers. So the biggest problem is, not only is the owner a shitty trainer, but likely so is all of their friends and family that come over to visit. Dog jumps, and most people do what they think is polite and pet the dog as it’s jumping… then proceed to talk sweet to the dog and pretend like it’s no bother. Obviously, this just reinforces the shit behavior. Dogs aren’t dumb… they find out who lets em jump and who doesn’t pretty quickly. I tend to make it pretty damn clear when I am ran up on by an unfamiliar dog. Lol. An unexpected knee to the chest or smack to the snout opens their eyes pretty wide. Both the dog’s and the owner’s. 😅

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio

To be fair, not many people are “good” dog trainers. So the biggest problem is, not only is the owner a shitty trainer, but likely so is all of their friends and family that come over to visit. Dog jumps, and most people do what they think is polite and pet the dog as it’s jumping… then proceed to talk sweet to the dog and pretend like it’s no bother. Obviously, this just reinforces the shit behavior. Dogs aren’t dumb… they find out who lets em jump and who doesn’t pretty quickly. I tend to make it pretty damn clear when I am ran up on by an unfamiliar dog. Lol. An unexpected knee to the chest or smack to the snout opens their eyes pretty wide. Both the dog’s and the owner’s. 😅
When I was 13 I started working on a farm. Owner told me when the dogs jump, just put your knee up. Well, that didn't always work lol. So one day one of the dogs went to jump up on me, and I kicked it right in the beans. He yelped and the owner looked at me and asked what happened, told her knees to the chest weren't working.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

I snatched her by the snout about the time her feet lifted off the ground and told her "no". I let go and she tried again, so I grabbed her color and subtlety held her down until they got her under control. And yes, to your point, most people suck at training dogs. Coincidentally, most suck at training their kids too.😂

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I believe Big Dumb is on his last leg. I took him in to get his teeth cleaned & he had to have a few removed. His anal glands had been infected & now his back right hip is swollen. He has a hard time getting up & around. He coughs profusely it seems. He been looking so discombobulated. I didn't like the look he was giving me last night, so I dunno.

20210824_143412.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dog breaking three scottish black face hoggets with two previous ewes. The sheep want to run back through the open gate so having Pike hold them off the gate and drive them out into the field teaches them to move off the dog. Pike is three years old now and has been a joy to work.

View attachment 135704
Hard to really appreciate a herding dog until you watch one do its thing In person. They are impressive to say the least. Good stuff, Tom.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Update on Big Dumb .... I honestly thought he'd be dead by now when I posted. Nope. He still has that cough / choking / hard to breath off & on thing going on. He does cough up a sliver of blood clot now & then & still doesn't eat / poop much which is still kinda bloody, but he'll eat anything I'm eating . He has a time getting around, but it's better than before. He's lost a bit of weight & it shows. His barks aren't what they use to be & I wonder if something was messed up while they had him under for the teeth extraction. Anyway, other than all that, he seems kinda normal. :unsure:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Update on Big Dumb .... I honestly thought he'd be dead by now when I posted. Nope. He still has that cough / choking / hard to breath off & on thing going on. He does cough up a sliver of blood clot now & then & still doesn't eat / poop much which is still kinda bloody, but he'll eat anything I'm eating . He has a time getting around, but it's better than before. He's lost a bit of weight & it shows. His barks aren't what they use to be & I wonder if something was messed up while they had him under for the teeth extraction. Anyway, other than all that, he seems kinda normal. :unsure:
Heart worms?