Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

P8riot

Carbon, In
Best time to train...feeding time. Put however much kibble you feed him in your pocket. Give him some commands. If he doesnt listen, no need to yell at him. He just doesnt eat. Just walk away and ignore him. He will most likely follow you. Try again and repeat until he listens and then reward the crap out of him. He will eventually realise good behavior fills his tummy! Its an easy way to make sure youre not yelling and making bad memories. This period is all about over rewarding his good behavior and pounding that good behavior gets him good things into his brain. He is a GSD so this will be very easy.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
IMO, teaching a dog to heel and stay are the two most important commands/responses for 99% of dog owners. I can call all 3 of mine to heel in any situation and 2 of the 3 are rock steady on sit/stay. It separates them from the pack, pun intended. Get any pup to master those and the rest is icing on the cake (unless they're working dogs of course).

Great looking pup brother. Glad you didn't waste time and hopped back on the band wagon. I've not been without a dog since the 90s and I'm not sure I'd know what to do if I were without. I hope to meet him some day!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Best time to train...feeding time. Put however much kibble you feed him in your pocket. Give him some commands. If he doesnt listen, no need to yell at him. He just doesnt eat. Just walk away and ignore him. He will most likely follow you. Try again and repeat until he listens and then reward the crap out of him. He will eventually realise good behavior fills his tummy! Its an easy way to make sure youre not yelling and making bad memories. This period is all about over rewarding his good behavior and pounding that good behavior gets him good things into his brain. He is a GSD so this will be very easy.
Just did a quick session. Used "Eyes" to get his attention and rewarded. Just now realized i used good boy instead of yes as the reward word. Need to train myself too lol

P8riot

Carbon, In
Well, its all in what words you want to use and voice tone plays a huge part too. As long as you keep it consistent between you AND your wife. My wife and I had an agreement where if we used the wrong word, we got to slap the other. Playfully... at first ofcourse! But it does train you to think about it.

Reactions: Dustinb80

P8riot

Carbon, In
Perfect! That is German obviously! A lot of police officers use German. Makes sense. I have my 3 trained in French, Dutch, and Russian. My wife has a bit of Ukrainian/Russian in her heritage and thought it would be cool.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Noticed when we walked into the breeders house that all of her dogs went crazy and she yelled NEIN really loud and they all shut up lol. So we are going to try that for no since we are currently battling his desire to chew or bite
517D01AE-8C34-46E7-94D5-E547A601D0CE.jpeg

Left field

Perfect! That is German obviously! A lot of police officers use German. Makes sense. I have my 3 trained in French, Dutch, and Russian. My wife has a bit of Ukrainian/Russian in her heritage and thought it would be cool.
Exactly, German has short words ,pronunciation dogs understand , that doesn’t sound like anything else