Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Early goose season

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Only about a month away now boys! Is anyone else starting to see flocks of geese out in the fields now? I've been having a couple big groups fly over the house in the evenings pretty regularly now. Seeing flocks here and there in the cut hay fields also.

Matt

Norton, OH
Saw a nice big V out at West Branch on Sunday, plus seeing em at a golf course i drive by on the way to and from work. Should be fun!

Derek j

Knox Co.
Havent seen many groups in field yet. We have a couple ponds that are holding birds right now, but they will probably move on before season gets here. There are a few cut wheat fields around that they havent found yet. Im hoping they find it opening day!!

Yep
2 of the wheat feilds I have permission to hunt
Are having geese come in

Bad thing
I know both farmers will have the feilds worked up before early goose

All I can do is hope the feilds green up and the geese use them

John

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I will be ready...I only have a public marsh to hunt and we usually only see a few small flocks in the early morning...as far as I have seen at that marsh, they don't respond to decoys (they might respond to floaters)...there was 3 guys using them and they didn't bring in any of the geese we saw all morning...so it seems you have to be in the right spot at the right time for early season...Hopefully this year I will have better success.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm just gonna paddle around the reservoir in my Kayak and blast em. lol

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'm just gonna paddle around the reservoir in my Kayak and blast em. lol

That'll work!! I think I might be in my canoe doing the same. They let people get close right now, and we've had good success jump shooting like that in past early seasons.

I did find a good field this morning so hopefully I can get lucky & get access... we'll see how that goes. :smiley_blackeye:

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I use to get excited about EG season, but now I would rather dove hunt. Seems like around here when you find them they are around horses and cattle and that spells out a big NO.

I do have a farm that cuts silage early and they sometimes hit that, but other than that I wait until Dec and Jan to really start goose hunting.