Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

EHD in Ohio?

jlacorte2

Central Ohio
My Dad sent me this picture yesterday. He was locating water lines for a job site. My Dad doesn't hunt so he isn't familiar with EHD. I called him right away and he said no blood, no obvious signs of broken bones. He found it 100 yds from Big Walnut Creek in Franklin County.

File_000.jpg

Bowman

The real shame is that the ODNR won't step in to reduce further harm. Hell, even a bit of educating on the harm already done would help.

In my opinion, they are only making it worse in a round about way. Just prior to all the reports they opened certain areas within the State off limits to hunting to doe control permits by drawing. Not familiar with all areas, but often go by the Possum Hollow Preserve which borders PA, and I honestly don't notice this area overrun with deer in my passing by at times. Although I do know EHD is all around this area, so one would think, they would cancel this, but they haven't as far as I know? And I know there's at least 4 or 5 other areas they opened in the State , but not sure if there is EHD cases around these areas too?

Last edited:

Jal5

I drove at daybreak from wintersville to cambridge this week along Rt 22 and saw only 1 deer in a field and no road kill. Sad. I probably won't hunt this season except small game and yotes

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang sorry you guys are going through this.
Mike is the club still going with a 2 deer limit or are ya backing off to one now that this seems to be pretty darn bad?

The last 4 or 5 years the club was buck only. This year they made it 1 deer either sex.
The board did say they may amend that if things get worse. My opinion is to for sure shut down gun season there. I would even go as far as saying zero deer on club ground ls this year.

Jefferson Sportsman, out the road, made it buck only with minimum 4 points on one side.

Jal5

The only way I might hunt deer this year is on public land in a county with no EHD. but that will be a crap shoot at best

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Comforting to see some deer. I'm sure it would still be tough to shoot a doe at this point. Good luck Mike!