Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Elevated shooting house.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Thanks for replies guys! Yeah the wasps are already a battle... dad sprays em down when he replaces cam batteries so hopefully they won’t be too awfully bad come season.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

twireman

Kingston, OH
Oh a side note if you use a little buddy heater. Make sure to open a window if you do. In that small of an area you can get CO poisoning pretty quickly.

That’s exactly whatI told dad today. I told him I’d rather store a couple sleeping bags in there for kids than risk it.

Reactions: cspot

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Ya. Very cool. Nice work there.
After all the years I’ve spent hunkered down, strapped to an open tree stand, rain an snow an all, those things are starting to really look good to me. Thanks for the post.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Looking good! Make sure you use some foam sealant to fill any gaps or wasps will find there way in....trust me, it’s not fun fighting a few wasps inside a darkened blind in November. Once you warm it up in there with a buddy heater, they will start buzzing around in there! I also had to put some caulk around the door to stop them from getting in through the small gaps.
Lol kinda reminded of the movie Tommy Boy. BEEs, BEEs BEES are everywhere lol

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks freaking awesome man! On thing we always did with blinds like that back home is build a little shelf even with the bottom of each window. You can set a sandbag on it for the kids to rest a gun on instead of the windowsill. Also handy for setting things on. Also stick one of those cheap tap lights above the door so that when you're gett8ng in and getting situated you don't have to mess with flashlights or headlamps. If you're worried about the light in the dark you can string a rope above the windows and hang blackout curtain material that you can slide completely to one side once you're ready. And cheap plastic cupholders screwed in to the side of the wall. Nothing worse than a kid getting ready and kicking over a can they sat on the floor.

Reactions: twireman

twireman

Kingston, OH
Looks freaking awesome man! On thing we always did with blinds like that back home is build a little shelf even with the bottom of each window. You can set a sandbag on it for the kids to rest a gun on instead of the windowsill. Also handy for setting things on.

Yep shelves are next. Also may put solar, battery and inverter in it. Thanks!

Reactions: giles

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Very nice buddy! Definitely jealous of the accommodations. Hoping we can do this soon. Sure is a great way to hunt with the kids. Plus, a light rain on that roof will make for a good napping spot too!

Reactions: twireman and giles

Lundy

As someone that has built over a dozen hunting boxes and elevated stands over the years let me share that the single most important aspect to get right to lead to longevity is to be able to have weather tight seals for the windows. The cut edge of the wood around the windows and water intrusion to the inside will lead to a much shortened life of the blind. I never did develop a real good system. In my attempt to build them with a managable cost I devised my own plexiglass windows and flip up hinges, they worked great at everything except keeping water out and protecting the window cuts. The money I saved by not purchasing something that would really work was short lived as I had to replace walls on the blinds in just a few years. It actually ended up costing me more money and a lot more time to constantly be doing maintenece on the blinds.

Had I continued hunting I would have still built my own blinds but I would for sure have used these windows or something similar.
http://deerviewwindows.com/horizontal-slider-window/

I really enjoyed the comfort of hunting from blinds as a grew older. I would sit from before daylight to dark every day, never wet, never cold, very comfortable, lots of rooms for stuff, heater, food, water, multiple cameras. I even hung bird feeders outside of my stands to occupy my time during the day. I could close all of the windows and carry on normal cell phone conversations for work all the while not disturbing any wildlife around me. Deer, coyotes, turkeys all get very used to boxes, very quickly and you don't need them all camo'd up either.