Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Euro mount project

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I decided to go the euro mount way with my half rack buck that I got Monday.
First I removed all of the skin from the head followed by as much meat as I could get off. I took a 5/8" spade bit and scrambled the brains so they would ooze out.

Here it is before and after a two hour simmer in water and dawn dish detergent.

HPIM1972[1].jpgHPIM1975[1].jpg

Meanwhile, I got a chance to give some TLC to Big Red.

HPIM1976[1].jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Mike,
I may have missed something. Why Dawn Dish soap. How much parts per water. Are you happy w/ the job it did?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Mike,
I may have missed something. Why Dawn Dish soap. How much parts per water. Are you happy w/ the job it did?

From my research, it is used as a degreasing agent. A few squirts is good enough. So far so good. Here is the fourth hour of soaking and removing flesh. It's staring to look like a skull.

HPIM1977[1].jpg

I resume tomorrow morning, have to take a nap and get ready for my wife's work party.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
There's nothing like the smell of a deer skull boiling in a pot of water.... I've done a few like that Mike, and the neighbors always come out and ask, "whatch cookin'?" Then I pull a head out of the pot. It always makes for good conversation. :smiley_crocodile:

That'll look good on the wall. Keep the pics coming!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
There's nothing like the smell of a deer skull boiling in a pot of water.... I've done a few like that Mike, and the neighbors always come out and ask, "whatch cookin'?" Then I pull a head out of the pot. It always makes for good conversation. :smiley_crocodile:

That'll look good on the wall. Keep the pics coming!

I live in the burbs, so it was funny telling the neighbors that I was making deer head stew. Smelled good except for the dawn.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
All the flesh is gone. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the vertical nasal cartilage. I used my power washer with the oscillating tip and it worked awesome! I did do minor damage to the nasal bone on one side. Also, I blew brains all over myself. I'm going to get some gel peroxide today. It's not a big deal to me, but what would this buck score approximately, with a full duplicate rack.

Attachments

• HPIM1982[2].jpg
    HPIM1982[2].jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 214

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hard saying on score Mike. I always guess wrong, so I will not guess at all. I really like the little stickers on the left side. Pretty cool little character for it!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great post, Mike. I agree with Greg... I'd say probably somewhere around 120".

BTW, my dad has that exact same snowblower. It's a beast! :smiley_bril:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Very cool! Looks like a pain in the ass, but you did a helluva job. I had the local taxidermist do mine a couple years ago. He charged me like $40. He has those bugs that eat all the flesh off. But, I was tempted to do what you did and try it on my own. I love the Euro mounts.

Gordo

Athens County
There a bit of a pain in the ass, but well worth it. I dont think ill ever do anything but a euro.

I never thought of using peroxide "gel". Ive used the liquid. Thats a great idea ill give a try, hopefully sooner than later!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
There a bit of a pain in the ass, but well worth it. I dont think ill ever do anything but a euro.

I never thought of using peroxide "gel". Ive used the liquid. Thats a great idea ill give a try, hopefully sooner than later!

Guys, the final whitening is complete. I think it turned out very nice. The thick peroxide cream worked great. I just brushed it on and let it sit most of the day. The peroxide didn't even dry out. BTW, I used 30 volume peroxide instead 40 which is the strongest. I read something about the 40 v being too strong.:smiley_chinrub:

HPIM1984[1].jpgHPIM1987[1].jpg

It was very interesting to see the different types of tissue and attachment systems in a deer's head! Amazing!

Last edited: