Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fear the Beard!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Week 1 is over with for the annual deer season beard! It's become a tradition to start it on my birthday and keep it going until I get tired of it. This year, I'm going to hold on to it until I tag out or I'm made to shave it. (Who knows what stupid rules Shell has regarding facial hair!) I figure it will help cut down on face paint the thicker and longer it goes.

Anyone else going to sport a beard for deer season this year?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I can't grow a beard for two reasons. Number one being that I have not fully matured into a man yet (my testicles have not dropped), and number two, I cannot have facial hair at work, since I am on the Fire Brigade.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Greg, I too cannot grow a beard. If I do it as all patchy and I look like a scrub. Some day we will hit puberty and grow into full mature adults.

I will go in with you guys though with my goatee. I will grow it until I tag out or the wife says to trim it up.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got a goatee going, like usual, but I can't let it get too far out of control because that would be "unprofessional"... so I've been told. I wish I could grow a full beard like some of you guys. Not "I wish I had permission to grow one", but rather "I wish I was physically capable of growing a full beard." :) I would probably look like a homeless person, on crack, with mange if I tried to grow a full beard LOL.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Got a good one started.. Keeping the stash and sides somewhat trimmed but growing out the goatee as long as i can.. Start for deer but i may keep it a while.. Depends. Sometimes i get a hankering to shave when I grow it out.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Got a good one started.. Keeping the stash and sides somewhat trimmed but growing out the goatee as long as i can.. Start for deer but i may keep it a while.. Depends. Sometimes i get a hankering to shave when I grow it out.

Man, you better wax that thing before you go out huntin'. That would suck to get your goatee caught up in the string when you go to release an arrow on that big boy...rip your chin clean off and lose your opportunity at a good buck...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Man, you better wax that thing before you go out huntin'. That would suck to get your goatee caught up in the string when you go to release an arrow on that big boy...rip your chin clean off and lose your opportunity at a good buck...

Nah it won't get stuck. If it hits it'll sound like a string silencer. SWOOF!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I let my goatee grow as long as it can, unfortunately, once it gets long enough to get out from under my welding hood it just keeps getting burnt and cant get any longer.:smiley_bbq::smiley_bagonhead:

I have started to let mine grow a few weeks ago.I dont have to shave for work etc..So tend to do it when i want.Wife prefers it.But i been thinking..Its a fact that hair holds more scent etc.It is also a fact im a scent control fanatic.So i might start a reverse tradition..I have to stay baby faced(side burns not included) till i put a tag on one or till season ends..The whole point if u ask me..Is a reason to get in the woods day after day.'Well honey. you hate my beard etc..Only way im gonna shave it is put a tag on a deer.So i gotta go honey..I hate to " ...lmao..Or in my case the opposite..Here is a pic..(ignore the unsightly nostril hair

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
My wife doesn't like my facial hair. She says it irritates her vagina. :smiley_brushing:

My wife also hates the beard. But like Mossy Oak said I use that to my advantage. I have grown a hunting beard since high school. The deal with the wife is as soon as I kill my buck, I'll shave it. One thing that pisses her off is when I say I "passed" such and such buck. To me the best part of growing a beard is the crazy cut I give it before I shave it all off.

from card 001.jpg

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My wife doesn't like my facial hair. She says it irritates her vagina. :smiley_brushing:

HAHAHA...I would grow one but I am not sure about a shaved head and a beard. I can have a nice looking beard in about two weeks. I might stick with the Vandyke for a while.

Beentown

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I am with some of you guys in that perhaps someday I will hit puberty..won't look like a kid anymore and may actually be able to grow consistant facial hair.

I usually shave the beginning of the week and get some patchy stuff going by the end of the week. If I let it roll into the 2nd week some guys at work will start making comments in a joking but serious way that I need to shave. Best one yet was last year I let it go about 3-4 weeks at which time they photoshopped my picture onto Shaggy from Scooby Doo and started emailing it around...

Even when I get it going the wife usually chimes in about how I need to get rid of it...so with that said, I am game for letting it grow as best I can and to quote jbrown "...look[ing] like a homeless person, on crack, with mange ..."