Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flintlock range report.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Went to the range on Friday and shot my new flintlock for the first time. A friend that shoots them a lot took me to show me the ropes.

It's a .54 caliber that my wife got me for Christmas.

I began by putting a little priming charge in the pan and "shooting" that off to get the hang of things.

So I loaded up 80 grains of fff with a .530 cast round ball and a spit patch. I started at 25 yards with a 6 O'clock hold and it shot right to my point of aim. Loaded up another and it shot to the same place. Fired once more with a center mass hold and just barely cut the X ring.:smiley_bril:

I decide that's enough at 25 and move to 50 yards. I start by swabbing the bore with a couple of spit patches, the bore seems smooth as silk and it cleans very easily. I load up the same again and my first shot at 50 is a misfire. The spark didn't ignite the priming charge. I notice the charge isn't spread out evenly across the pan so I spread it out and try it again. This time it fires but I knew I pulled it to the left. The next 3 shots made a big hole in the 10 and X rings. Then the rifle misfired again, tried it several times and finally changed flints. So after all that on my 5th shot at 50 I get a hang fire and the shot is real low. Can't end on that so fire one more time and get the last in the black at 6 O'clock.

I have a bunch to learn about getting the flint adjusted in the right place and I need to be careful how the priming charge is in the pan. I was tickled though with my first time out with the rifle.:smiley_clap:

Now I need to try it at 100 yards, maybe tomorrow.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Great start Sam. !!!

I love the flint lock. If you find any flint better than "English" let me know.
Danmann was hefting my 50 cal flint lock today. A bit more weight than the inlines!
That sure is some fine looken wood!
Stay pure! no polly patches. It takes a certain kind of man to shoot those smoke poles. Your off to a good start w/ that one.:smiley_clap:

Buckrun

That is a REALLY beautiful gun. One problem the lock is on the wrong side.:smiley_coolpeace: Very good shooting also. I have only shot a flint a couple times. It takes some getting use to. That flash right beside your face will make you jump until you get use to it.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I learned somethings today about my rifle and about muzzleloaders that I didn't know. Seems my barrel was most likely made by a William Large of Ironton, Oh. I wasn't familiar with Mr Large but it seems he was one of the founders of the of the NMLRA (National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc.) in 1933. He was considered the premier ML barrel maker until he died in the early 80's with his barrels being the favorite of many target shooters in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. So my rifle made in Oregon has some Ohio roots.

Matt

Norton, OH
The guy from "The Wild Within" shot a bison with a flintlock on last nights episode. He made a boat out of the hide, donated the meat to a tribal food bank and kept a bone and ate the marrow. I am really liking that show. He even performed a native american ritual after the kill.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The guy from "The Wild Within" shot a bison with a flintlock on last nights episode. He made a boat out of the hide, donated the meat to a tribal food bank and kept a bone and ate the marrow. I am really liking that show. He even performed a native american ritual after the kill.

The idea of shooting a bison with either a traditional ML or a BPCR single shot is appealing to me.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I think a bison makes a great looking mount. I'd really like to have one.

And I still say the lock is on the wrong side!

Maybe it like them zebco fishen reels that you can take the crank off one side an put it on the other...

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Good report Sam.

And yes, CJ was showing me his flintlock and explaining how they work (first time I'd ever handled one)
Pretty interesting and awesome. I'm kind of intrigued....might buy a kit and build one someday in the future.

I can see why you guys like 'em so much.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Wait till you get to shoot one Dan!
There's nothing like it!
Raw ignition. Raw power.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Hell just about anyone one can shoot a righthand gun, even I can do it, but it takes real skill to shoot one left handed.
(even my smiley shoots LH)

FredT

SE Ohio
Like Sam, I too enjoy the art of flint locking.

Here is a pic of a younger Fred living in a different state where your hair was allowed to be dark and full camo was permissable during ML season.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Like Sam, I too enjoy the art of flint locking.

Here is a pic of a younger Fred living in a different state where your hair was allowed to be dark and full camo was permissable during ML season.

:smiley_clap: I like it Fred! Is it Penn or Michigan?

Beentown