Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

For you coon dog lovers

Huckleberry Finn

Is it a good or bad thing when the dog climbs the tree??

(From my buddy)

coon dog.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Holy schnikees dude! Is the dog coming down face first in this picture?

Yeah.... lol.... The trees leaning.. If that tree was straight up i would shoot that dog dead.. I ain't hunting with no Satan dog. lmao Not necessarily a bad thing.. Not great because they could fall. But it just goes to show you.. The dogs don't hunt coon because it's fun.. They do it because they HATE them..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
In that last picture they are both laying flat on the ground... JR went to bite that coon and it latched hold of his tongue.. lmao He just twisted over and laid right down for about 5 seconds. I was waiting for one of them to tap out..

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Nic pics. I was going to ask about the blood in the first pic that's on the side of that sapling but then I scrolled down to the following pics lol. During season you might have to get TripleA to video some hunts for ya :D.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nic pics. I was going to ask about the blood in the first pic that's on the side of that sapling but then I scrolled down to the following pics lol. During season you might have to get TripleA to video some hunts for ya :D.

Hard telling who's blood it is.. Both of them dogs took a good whipping off that coon.. If you look at the second pic that pockets dog even got bit on the tip of her tail. And the coon has a mouth full of JRs ear. lmao. The first pic the coon shot forward and bit JR right on the ass, and pockets went for the coons ass. The third pic the coon has him by the chin.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Hard telling who's blood it is.. Both of them dogs took a good whipping off that coon.. If you look at the second pic that pockets dog even got bit on the tip of her tail. And the coon has a mouth full of JRs ear. lmao. The first pic the coon shot forward and bit JR right on the ass, and pockets went for the coons ass. The third pic the coon has him by the chin.

I bet JR had one sore mouth for a few days lol. Poor dog got his tongue and his chin bit on lol. I see a pretty good amount of antiseptic being a good thing to have on hand.

My grandpa had a dog that got her tongue split right down the middle. Was a site to see when it was hot out and she would start panting with that tongue flopping in 2 directions lol.

Redvette

NW Ohio
It's a very bad fault - like chewing or jacking a tree. A relative that lives in Liberty Center OH had a top Walker killed when it fell out of a tree it managed to climb in a competition hunt in NC a couple years back. The other issue aside from the dog killing itself or breaking something is it falling on another dog or person at the bottom of the tree or other dogs jumping it when it thudded to the ground. I remember climbing to shake out a coon and throwing my coat down because it was harder for me to climb with it,(should have realized that before I was about 20 ft up), and when it hit the ground my brilliant 2 redbones tore into the coat. Didn't last long and not much damage but be got a laugh out of it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's a very bad fault - like chewing or jacking a tree. A relative that lives in Liberty Center OH had a top Walker killed when it fell out of a tree it managed to climb in a competition hunt in NC a couple years back. The other issue aside from the dog killing itself or breaking something is it falling on another dog or person at the bottom of the tree or other dogs jumping it when it thudded to the ground. I remember climbing to shake out a coon and throwing my coat down because it was harder for me to climb with it,(should have realized that before I was about 20 ft up), and when it hit the ground my brilliant 2 redbones tore into the coat. Didn't last long and not much damage but be got a laugh out of it.

That JR pup has a bad habit of jacking the tree. I about have him broke of it though... He's only had to bounce his head off the tree 1,000 times to start to get it. lmao I'll take a tie back leash and leash him to the actual tree. Just low enough that he can stand and tree but can't jack the tree. If he tries it bonks his head off the tree.. Easier than holding the lead and yanking down every time he jumps. The first time i did it i considered stopping after he bounced his chin off the tree about 50 times.. He has settled in now but will still try sometimes..

Ben the older dog doesn't really have any faults. Fastest strike and tree dog I've ever hunted. You better have your crap together when you dump him out of the box. Because that dude is going tree right now.. . He'll usually get treed within a couple hundred yards. In the almost a year I've hunted him and hundreds of drops, that dog has left my hearing only twice. He'll even check in in about 15 minutes. He stays in the woodlots you cast him in and doesn't shoot fields. Not a straight line dog by any means. And when he gets treed that dude is hooked in... He isn't going to leave for nothing. Even on a split tree he'll stay hooked. He'll get in a hole once in a while but almost always comes out and keeps hunting. Only once I have had to put the leash to him for being in a hole. And he was with that JR Dog... I take that back. Last weekend he and JR got in a hole.. When I showed up JR was in the hole. And Ben was about 10 yards away treed.. He thinks I'm a dummy though. I could see his neck, legs and chest were muddy... lmao.. Dang thing saw me coming and knew he better get out of that hole and grab tree.. Lying or not he didn't want to be in that hole. The only time Ben acts up is when i drop him with bonehead JR. Ben's a good training dog but them two are buddies now and JRs bad habits rub off when they are together. His one fault is he chews. Never the tree but if there is a branch, stick of shrub crowding the tree, that dude will clear him a circle around that tree. That and he's hard to break off a dead coon, definitely not a fur hunters dog. He's all around the best dog I've ever hunted though. If a man had the time he could make some buck in competition with ole Ben. He is a PR out of the ole Sackett JR dog i believe i'll have to ask George about it again. Here.. This should be enough said about how good ole ben is. lol. George owned the Softwood Patch dog and sold her started at 9 months. She went on to be a PKC Gold Champ, and won the AKC World Championship. Yet you couldn't give George your retirement account to shuck than Ben Dog even at 5 1/2 years old.. Not that people don't try.. They're always calling George and asking him what he's got on the box and if he want's to sell that Ben dog.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*

Next time George and Joe bring them out to do live trap training I'll see if he'll let me record a little bit of the treeing and standoffs :)

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
That would be some pretty cool footage TripleA... I've always wanted to go coon hunting. I had a trip lined up with some buddies this past year but fell through. I'm half afraid of picking up another hobby/addiction, which I would hate to add another to my list! :biggrin:

Redvette

NW Ohio
That would be some pretty cool footage TripleA... I've always wanted to go coon hunting. I had a trip lined up with some buddies this past year but fell through. I'm half afraid of picking up another hobby/addiction, which I would hate to add another to my list! :biggrin:

here's what you're missin':