Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grandslam Snare Line 2017

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I assume so. I can't see the lock backing off. It has about a foot of cable still attached past the lock. This is the second I have had chew through. One last year and now this one. My guess is they are caught just after dark and have plenty of time to chew through the cable. I check my line as early as possible in the mornings but I guess it happens.

I can only imagine what their teeth and mouth look like after chewing out. The end of the snare is a bloody mess.

What dia. Cable you using?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It sounds inhumane, but leave them a longer line. They will tangle up and choke out instead of chewing.

Yeah. I am a deputy game warden in PA and we have different regulations. We have to use cable restraints, which mine have been modified to. We also cannot set in an "entanglement" situation. I bought mine and modified them to be compliant in PA as well.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah. I am a deputy game warden in PA and we have different regulations. We have to use cable restraints, which mine have been modified to. We also cannot set in an "entanglement" situation. I bought mine and modified them to be compliant in PA as well.

Never did trust a commonwealth lol....

Oh, trust me, we have some bizarre rules. You have to pass a cable restraint class and then you can only use them from December 26th until February 28th. No entanglements, must have a breakaway device, and a deer stop.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Oh, trust me, we have some bizarre rules. You have to pass a cable restraint class and then you can only use them from December 26th until February 28th. No entanglements, must have a breakaway device, and a deer stop.

Deer stop is the only good thing in that statement lol

First the bad news! Saturday morning as I was walking my line I saw something white. Immediately I knew what it was, the underbelly of a deer within 100 yards of several snares. The kill scene spread 50 yards through the woods, and was not pretty. Below are the pics.

IMG_0299.jpg

I actually moved the deer up against the log, but you can see what the coyotes ate. I was beyond upset. Re-positioned a few snares and check them yesterday to no avail. Figured maybe rifle season being back in had something to do with it.

2nd snare I check this morning and I FIND THIS!!!!!!

IMG_0311.jpg

2nd Damn chew out of the year. I am now looking in to going from 7x7 to 1X19 to minimize the chew outs. This is the third one in 2 years.

Now for the good news! This little female came back for seconds and didn't quite make it! Finally on the board!

IMG_0307.jpg