Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Guns & Ammo Sales.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City

You think he's gonna win Joe? I'd love to join you...can you give us any data to support it though? I can't find much and I've looked.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not sure how an entire caliber becomes uncool, but any Savage bolt action is welcome in my house and it fits the bill for what I'm after, so judge away 😎

I told my wife to expect a few purchases between now and November. I only have 3 more guns in mind and I'm set for a good while, maybe for life. Dad and I have been talking about making a 1,000 yard lane at the farm and 500 is doable without any work. Now that I've shot a little at 200, the next bit of leisure shooting I do will be 500-1,000 yards.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I'm not sure how an entire caliber becomes uncool, but any Savage bolt action is welcome in my house and it fits the bill for what I'm after, so judge away 😎

I told my wife to expect a few purchases between now and November. I only have 3 more guns in mind and I'm set for a good while, maybe for life. Dad and I have been talking about making a 1,000 yard lane at the farm and 500 is doable without any work. Now that I've shot a little at 200, the next bit of leisure shooting I do will be 500-1,000 yards.

Its all in good fun. I don't like the creedmore because of the hype...but Ive never shot one. So my hate is really just pot stirring.

I have one caliber I want to get...a 22-250 and one model...a Weatherby Mk V. Not sure of the caliber on the second.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Very nice Jesse!

Definitely can't go wrong with a new Savage Arms rifle imho. Of course, I may be a bit bios because as some of you already know, I currently own a couple myself.

I 'TOO' have been contributing heavily to the American made gun industry lately.

I just received today my latest investment. A new 42” PLANO RUSTRICTOR gun case and everything I intend to carry, fits perfectly.
20200702_142742 (1).jpg
What you see currently in the case is my most recent rifle purchase - the 7.62x51 NATO/WIN .308 SAVAGE MSR-10 COMPETTION HD w/ backup Magpul Steel Iron sights along with 4- 25 round Magpul GEN M3 PMags plus;
  • 1-Vortex PST GEN II 5-25x50 w/ 3” sunshade;
  • 1- Vortex SPARK AR 2 MOA Red Dot;
  • 1 -Vortex RAZOR 3 MOA Red Dot, which is on it's way in the mail; The SPARK AR will go on a different gun.
  • 1- ATN THOR 640 1x10 thermal riflescope w/a 25hr extended battery pack inside a butt-stock carrier sleeve & remote;
  • 1-1000 lumen rifle flashlight w/ pressure switch attached to an American Defense Quick Connect/Disconnect Cantilever;
  • 1-Cold Steel Tactical veteran made Survival 2&3 point Para-cord Rifle Sling w/ Multiple QD connectors
  • 1-Tactical Survival Pen
  • 1- Highby Outdoors Barrel pen like flashlight for cleaning purposes.
All optic accessories obviously connect to the Picitinney rail w/ ease using individual American Defense Quick Connect/Disconnect Cantilever. All optics zeroed in and ready to go at a moments notice for whatever. Night, day, long range, close quarters, doesn't matter, it all connects quickly and ready to rock-n-roll.

Two new combination padlocks are on order for the new gun case. Interested in key-less locks only.

I also have 6 additional 25 round, 1-20 round GEN M3 Pmags that originally came with rifle and 1-50 round LR/SR D-50 Drum Pmag. Each of them currently full with ammo that's carried in a different ammo bag.

To clean the beauty, I purchased JP Enterprises’ AR-10/SR-25 .308 cleaning rod guide, cleaning kit & oil. A high quality value package deal through them.

As far as ammo goes, I have NOT stopped ordering nor will I in the foreseeable future :cool:

Everything seen & mentioned above is absolutely made in the good old U.S. of A. (y)

Honestly, I could not be any happier with this new rifle system. Everything works & shoots like a dream without a hiccup whatsoever!

I have one more accessory currently in the works, which will be a suppressor.

So, do expect me to share range & field photography with obvious results in the not so distant future.

Enjoy that new Savage rifle @bowhunter1023 . I look forward to your sharing in how she performs at those longer ranges.

LET FREEDOM RING!

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Largely because all of the douch canoe westies have picked it up and it's the new bro caliber. The 6.5 is gaining in popularity, but can't do anything the ole 7mm mag, 7mm wsm hasn't been doing better for 60 years. The gun market has realized that if they want to sell new guns they have to work with ammo manufacturers to invent new calibers and put cool marketing behind them. In the days of yore this was done by bench shooters commonly called wilcatters, and the survival of a round was born out of range results and organic growth. Today it's done by gun & ammo companies and marketing departments.

The 6.5 creed is a rehash of the 30 T/C that was born of a standard 308. What they ended up with was the 6.5 creed that is basically yet another .26 caliber. It's really no better or much different than the 6.5x55 Swede from the mid 1890s or Remington's 260 Rem in the 90s. Lots off marketing hits and misses along the way to get a 26 to catch on but it looks like they've done it with the 6.5. For the time being anyway.

The newish 26 norma kicks its ass as a 1000 yard gun, but there are drawbacks like ammo and gun availability, which is a result of marketing beating performance. When sales drop or a new hottie moves on the block it'll drift away in favor of a new round that is minamally changed from the last. Anyone heard anything from that sexy 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel that was the cock of the walk a few years ago?

For a guy that likes to shoot, none of this matters much. It's cool, it's sexy, and it gets the job done better than a 308 which has long fallen out of popularity with long-range shooters. For hunting applications that'll flat get shit done it'll never surpass a sold 30 cal like the trusty 30-06 than can be loaded to handle anything from Florida whitetails to cape buffalo.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
6.5 Creedmoor is a very good cartridge but there’s nothing magical about it. The “trick” with the 6.5s (.264) is they tend to use heavy for caliber bullets. The 140 gr bullet is the standard compared to a 117 in most .25, 130 in .270, 150 in 7mm, and 165 in .30s. That gives the 6.5s an advantage on B.C. and on sectional density, and better wind resistance. To get heavy bulletS to shoot well the rifling needs to be faster. 6.5s often use a 1:8 twist compared to 1:10-1:12 in most .270, 7mm, and .30s.

The way the rifles are built and the way the ammo is loaded makes 6.5 a really good choice

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
6.5 Creedmoor is a very good cartridge but there’s nothing magical about it. The “trick” with the 6.5s (.264) is they tend to use heavy for caliber bullets. The 140 gr bullet is the standard compared to a 117 in most .25, 130 in .270, 150 in 7mm, and 165 in .30s. That gives the 6.5s an advantage on B.C. and on sectional density, and better wind resistance. To get heavy bulletS to shoot well the rifling needs to be faster. 6.5s often use a 1:8 twist compared to 1:10-1:12 in most .270, 7mm, and .30s.

The way the rifles are built and the way the ammo is loaded makes 6.5 a really good choice

True. Lots of it can go either way for BC and wind. The 22s vs the 26s vs the 7mm vs the 30s and on and on. The argument of heavier bullets with better long range energy also slides up and down that scale from 50bmg to 220 swift. Enter speed into the equation, you can smoke the pants off a creed in just about every category with lighter bullets out of a 7mm rem mag. The trade off, that 6.5 will still be shooting long after you've rendered that 7mm a smooth bore. 😅. Everything is a trade off. If you just want to punch paper at 1000 yards the 6.5 is a great choice.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
True. Lots of it can go either way for BC and wind. The 22s vs the 26s vs the 7mm vs the 30s and on and on. The argument of heavier bullets with better long range energy also slides up and down that scale from 50bmg to 220 swift. Enter speed into the equation, you can smoke the pants off a creed in just about every category with lighter bullets out of a 7mm rem mag. The trade off, that 6.5 will still be shooting long after you've rendered that 7mm a smooth bore. 😅. Everything is a trade off. If you just want to punch paper at 1000 yards the 6.5 is a great choice.

Speed is less important when you know the exact distance (use a range finder) However wind is much harder to judge can can vary over the bullet’s path. A high B.C. helps with wind more than velocity. The higher S.D. Is also makes up for some loss in velocity With penetration. All those things help make the 6.5s preform above their class. Would I hang up a good 7mm Rem Mag for a Creedmoor? No. But if I was buying my first big game rifle, or one for a kid or woman, an 6.5 Would be high on my list.

I’m friends with a couple who were going moose hunting last fall. The wife has a nice Rem 700 in 7mm-08 but she thought she needed a Creedmoor. I convinced her the 7mm was fine, and she killed a moose.

mike hunt

When I start drinking that white claw shit I think I'll get a creedmoor. I think the Rem 260 is a hotter round than the creed, and don't forget the 264 win mag, that's a screamer, a bit of a barrel burner. I like the 6&7mm, I have a 280ai to get dialed in, just put a 3x15 Leupold on it.

Reactions: giles and Tipmoose