Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Guns & Ammo Sales.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
AE3A20EA-7FAB-4606-AFFD-313A6DADA54F.jpeg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
IDK who else has been keeping an eye out on the cost of ammunition lately, but I certainly have and I wanted to share a comparison regarding just one of the calibers that I've kept close tabs on.

All I can say is, the current ammo market makes me sick to my stomach! I certainly do not see a foreseeable end to this outrageous issue/problem. Over three times the cost in comparison for the same exact ammunition I purchased roughly 10 months ago. How absurd!

I am now looking into reloading my own since I have tons of brass at my disposal. I believe this is the best solution going forward. Forced to make the investment into all the equipment & tools needed in order to satisfy my range time. A new hobby that I had no real intentions of getting into, but now I will be diving head first into learning just how to do it myself. May be the best new hobby of my lifetime. I shall see.

As the saying goes; 'you're never too old to learn something new'.

Copy of one of my invoices where I purchased Match Grade WIN308 ammunition back on 3/18/2020.

TSGM308M-BULK - GM308MFederal Gold Medal 308 Winchester Ammo 168 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point-Case of 200 (10 Boxes of 20) - Free Shipping1$199.90$199.90

Same exact product that is now currently available for sale today listed in accordance as being the cheapest available through the Ammo Seek Search Engine.

308 Win – 168 gr BTHP – Federal Gold Medal Sierra Match King (GM308M) – 200 Rounds​

$679.00
( $3.40 per round )
  • Quantity – 200 Rounds (10 Boxes of 20 Rounds)
  • Manufacturer – Federal Gold Medal
  • Bullet – 168 Grain BTHP (Boat-Tail Hollow-Point)
  • Casing – New Boxer-Primed Brass

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
IDK who else has been keeping an eye out on the cost of ammunition lately, but I certainly have and I wanted to share a comparison regarding just one of the calibers that I've kept close tabs on.

All I can say is, the current ammo market makes me sick to my stomach! I certainly do not see a foreseeable end to this outrageous issue/problem. Over three times the cost in comparison for the same exact ammunition I purchased roughly 10 months ago. How absurd!

I am now looking into reloading my own since I have tons of brass at my disposal. I believe this is the best solution going forward. Forced to make the investment into all the equipment & tools needed in order to satisfy my range time. A new hobby that I had no real intentions of getting into, but now I will be diving head first into learning just how to do it myself. May be the best new hobby of my lifetime. I shall see.

Copy of one of my invoices where I purchased Match Grade WIN308 ammunition back on 3/18/2020.

TSGM308M-BULK - GM308MFederal Gold Medal 308 Winchester Ammo 168 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point-Case of 200 (10 Boxes of 20) - Free Shipping1$199.90$199.90

Same exact product that is now currently available for sale today listed in accordance as being the cheapest available through the Ammo Seek Search Engine.

308 Win – 168 gr BTHP – Federal Gold Medal Sierra Match King (GM308M) – 200 Rounds​

$679.00
( $3.40 per round )

Oh but there doing all they can. They're working hard. They're sending it our right away. They're making cute videos and pretending to be mad. Blah blah blah. What they failed to mention is they're purposefully maintaining scarcity to ride the wave for as long as they can and maintain record margins on ammo. Manufacturers have ZERO desire to see $17 boxes of 550 count .22 ammo again. They'll continue to run their 2007 production capacity limitations at 100% until the market is saturated from hording and they've made all they can make.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

$679.00
( $3.40 per round )
Before you dive ass deep in reloading I would check component availability. Last I looked primers are limited supply as are the bullet tips. Most tips you can't even put on back order right now.

Reloading is an option but the primers are even harder to come by, that's from a co-worker who reloads rifle and handgun ammo.

I just bought a couple boxes of Federal personal defense ammo as it came in stock direct from Federal. Want to have a few more boxes of the better stuff because Jenna will be getting ready to carry soon.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Before you dive ass deep in reloading I would check component availability. Last I looked primers are limited supply as are the bullet tips. Most tips you can't even put on back order right now.
For example FFF is selling 100 primers for $7-9 per100 that used to go for $35-40 per thousand last year this time

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner

$679.00
( $3.40 per round )
The same has happened to reloading components, however overall cost is lower for end product. We reload all but a few calibers that we shoot. I’m not saying it’s not a good time to start this endeavor But be aware that you will find it easier to get ahold of loaded cartridges than you will primers right now. Also the cost of the Machines have doubled just like everything else if you can find one. Bullets are Obtainable but you’re usually waiting a month or two for them toshow up, powder if you’re not picky you can get it.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Trust me, I'll will treat this new ambitious adventure of mine no different that any other of my past. I will do all the necessary homework prior, whatever do diligence into seeking out all the recourses and information available and needed. I've been part of the gun community for quite some time now. I will take whatever legal avenues necessary to fulfill my current needs.

You can expect that I will become an expert on the matter when all said and done. I can pretty much promise that!

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have components to reload my 223 and 9mm but I haven't loaded anything for awhile now. If i reload I'll want to go shoot lol. Loaded up all the 380 I had for the wife's gun and was going to switch to a different tip almost a year ago and couldn't find anything that was good quality and wasn't inflated thru the roof. When all this covid started everybody started hoarding to the point you couldn't even back order anything.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I don't disagree that those three factors contributed heavily to the current shortage. However this has been going on for over a decade. Since Hillary first ran back in 2008. A box of .22 went from $17 to over $45 at Walmart and was selling at gun shows for over $100. Prices never cam back down to pre-event prices despite demand faltering under the Trump administration. Instead, manufacturers moved to 300 round boxes for $27. Lowered the quantity per box to "lower" the overall price, but maintained near the same profitability per round. I am sure they scaled back production to also maintain some scarcity this keeping prices inflated. Yes there is a higher demand, yea there are new gun owners, but we would be fools to believe that the market isn't artificially being manipulated by manufacturers also.

Remove the import sanctions on foreign ammunition and watch how fast supply exceeds demand and the US manufacturers scramble to slash wholesale prices to stay competitive.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
There was a local ammo online auction that ended a few days ago. 1000 CCI small pistol primers sold for $200-250. 1000 9mm 115gr fmj $850. .22 ammo ran .20-.25 cents a round .223 was $1.25-1.50. The buyer‘s premium was another 10%.

• Haha
Reactions: eloucha

Bowkills

Nw oh
Trust me, I'll will treat this new ambitious adventure of mine no different that any other of my past. I will do all the necessary homework prior, whatever do diligence into seeking out all the recourses and information available and needed. I've been part of the gun community for quite some time now. I will take whatever legal avenues necessary to fulfill my current needs.

You can expect that I will become an expert on the matter when all said and done. I can pretty much promise that!
Reloading will be right up your alley. It might be a struggle getting into it right now. Finding equipment to cast your own led bullets is even sold out. Basically everything is sold out or back order. It's crazy shit. I contributed to the problem with ordering 200 .44 mag bullets on back order that I press for my kids deer gun. I'll see how long they take to get here. We are down to 4 rounds. Just worried they still won't be available in time for next season. That might be enough to last 1/2 my life but at least I'll have them. This seems like the 4 dollar gas we had a few years back. Absolute greed is what's going on in my mind.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Reloading will be right up your alley.
Yes, I agree!

As a kid, I watched both my father and grandfather reload their own rounds as needed. My father was into trap big time and did it semi professionally. My grandfather molded and reloaded his own lead bullets for both .22 and 30 caliber. Back then, they did it in order to save cost. Never would've thought I'd reach the same point in this modern day and age, but it is what it is.

I have the feeling once I get started, all those wonderful memories of both my father & grandfather will come rushing back to me.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Seems between politicians and ammo manufacturers they’re squeezing the life outta the average gun owner.... Soon they won’t have too worry about gun control because all they’ll be is clubs....

Reactions: eloucha

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ammoman.com says prices are high because materials are high. I think they’re high.

*cough* bullshit *cough* even taking into consideration the jump of raw cooper from a low of $2 to a high of $3.75 that's only a price increase of roughly 2.7 cents per round for .223 to cover the increase of raw materials. (175 cents divided by 73 cases per pound.)

Screenshot_20210129-172131_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210129-172021_Chrome.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
There was a local ammo online auction that ended a few days ago. 1000 CCI small pistol primers sold for $200-250. 1000 9mm 115gr fmj $850. .22 ammo ran .20-.25 cents a round .223 was $1.25-1.50. The buyer‘s premium was another 10%.
Check this auction that ended today in Wooster.

500 rds of 22lr for $150
50 rds for $35

1000 of 9mm or 5.56 for $800 ormore
556 tracers at $1 each

Wtf