Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hard to find bourbons...

Jamie

Ohio
I scored this giblet a couple days ago. I just happened to be in town filling all my gas cans about the same time our local liquor store opens on the day they get their bourbon delivery.😉

IMG_4393.jpeg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Finished the bottle from Company Distilling we picked up in Townsend, TN. The wife found her blackberry Crown and said she wouldn't drink the Bird Dog most likely as she likes the Crown better. It isn't bad. Sort of a Kool Aid with a little alcohol type drink. Probably a horrible description. My pallet is not very defined. Been steadily sipping on a bottle of Johnny Walker Black lately too. That might become my go to flavor. I think it's a 12 year blended Scotch Whisky. I've been enjoying it too much.
1000007910.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Finished the bottle from Company Distilling we picked up in Townsend, TN. The wife found her blackberry Crown and said she wouldn't drink the Bird Dog most likely as she likes the Crown better. It isn't bad. Sort of a Kool Aid with a little alcohol type drink. Probably a horrible description. My pallet is not very defined. Been steadily sipping on a bottle of Johnny Walker Black lately too. That might become my go to flavor. I think it's a 12 year blended Scotch Whisky. I've been enjoying it too much.View attachment 194539
I personally think Johnny walker black and the comparable "spot", Jameson, redbreast etc are all the sweet spot on flavors and price point for that style of whiskey imo

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I personally think Johnny walker black and the comparable "spot", Jameson, redbreast etc are all the sweet spot on flavors and price point for that style of whiskey imo
She asked what I wanted for my birthday. I told her I could use some more whisky. Was going to shoot you a text but thought maybe everyone could benefit from your wisdom. Or others may have solid input as well.

Suggestions for comparables to the Johnny Walker Black? I thought it was pretty smooth. I'm not a fan of the harsh stuff. Is it the Scotch Whisky blend that makes the JW Black good? Point me in the right direction. I told her to just ask someone at the liquor store. Even told her which one to go to and who to ask. They have a professional in there who really knows his stuff. 🤣

Your opinions would be more educational for me though.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
She asked what I wanted for my birthday. I told her I could use some more whisky. Was going to shoot you a text but thought maybe everyone could benefit from your wisdom. Or others may have solid input as well.

Suggestions for comparables to the Johnny Walker Black? I thought it was pretty smooth. I'm not a fan of the harsh stuff. Is it the Scotch Whisky blend that makes the JW Black good? Point me in the right direction. I told her to just ask someone at the liquor store. Even told her which one to go to and who to ask. They have a professional in there who really knows his stuff. 🤣

Your opinions would be more educational for me though.
So here's the deal. There are many types of whiskey (whisky). There is American, Canadian, Irish, Japanese, Scotch, Bourbon, etc for the ones I know off the top of my head. Each type has differences in the grains, distillation, and maturation phases that leads itself to distinct flavor profiles. Then there can even be variants within a type such as Islay, and the other types of Scotch whiskey or a Rye or wheated bourbon compared to a straight corn bourbon.

So what do you enjoy? Johnny Walker is a blended Scotch which has a different flavor profile compared to a single malt scotch. Then you play with different ages or different barrel finishes and the combinations are endless.

My suggestion is to sit down with your Johnny Walker black and slowly sip on it, let it wash around your mouth and think about the flavors you are tasting. Its been a while since I had any so I don't know the primary flavors but it doesn't matter what I taste, its what YOU taste. Then google search for reviews of Johnny Walker Black and see if you can find any that describe the tastes in a way that makes sense with what you tasted. Then use their reviews of other whiskeys to see if you agree or disagree, worst case is you find a new mixer.

I know my palate agrees a lot with the website breaking bourbon. I also agree with how they talk about the value or not of some of the higher priced items compared to similar offerings from the other distilleries.

Use that guy at the liquor store or a bartender when you're out with the wife to try something new occasionally. Its a lot easier to swallow a $8-12 dollar pour that you don't like and didn't enjoy than the $40-80+ bottle.

Isaacorps

Columbus
So here's the deal. There are many types of whiskey (whisky). There is American, Canadian, Irish, Japanese, Scotch, Bourbon, etc for the ones I know off the top of my head. Each type has differences in the grains, distillation, and maturation phases that leads itself to distinct flavor profiles. Then there can even be variants within a type such as Islay, and the other types of Scotch whiskey or a Rye or wheated bourbon compared to a straight corn bourbon.

So what do you enjoy? Johnny Walker is a blended Scotch which has a different flavor profile compared to a single malt scotch. Then you play with different ages or different barrel finishes and the combinations are endless.

My suggestion is to sit down with your Johnny Walker black and slowly sip on it, let it wash around your mouth and think about the flavors you are tasting. Its been a while since I had any so I don't know the primary flavors but it doesn't matter what I taste, its what YOU taste. Then google search for reviews of Johnny Walker Black and see if you can find any that describe the tastes in a way that makes sense with what you tasted. Then use their reviews of other whiskeys to see if you agree or disagree, worst case is you find a new mixer.

I know my palate agrees a lot with the website breaking bourbon. I also agree with how they talk about the value or not of some of the higher priced items compared to similar offerings from the other distilleries.

Use that guy at the liquor store or a bartender when you're out with the wife to try something new occasionally. Its a lot easier to swallow a $8-12 dollar pour that you don't like and didn't enjoy than the $40-80+ bottle.
👏🏼👏🏼 well said, Doug. Breaking Bourbon is a fantastic resource