Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hatching Chickens

Ohio
Wife and kids got crazy with chickens last year. Built them a pretty big coop with mostly left over wood from our house build. Sided it with rough cut and they painted it. I used sacrete and poured the floor. That’s been awesome for cleaning the coop out. They have close to 40 chickens now and we get around 2 dozens eggs a day. They’ve used the incubator and hatched a hand full of chicks. They’ve lost a couple with each batch. I believe it’s been a good investment and the kids love it. Working on another coop now as my youngest loves the silkie chickens and wants to try breeding them. She picked a bit of a difficult design but we’re getting it done.

Attachments

• 0EF6CF25-F88E-4402-8F9D-F3CB39F91163.jpeg
    0EF6CF25-F88E-4402-8F9D-F3CB39F91163.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 76
  • C5058BBB-C097-44F8-82FE-01AF6F11939B.jpeg
    C5058BBB-C097-44F8-82FE-01AF6F11939B.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 78

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wife and kids got crazy with chickens last year. Built them a pretty big coop with mostly left over wood from our house build. Sided it with rough cut and they painted it. I used sacrete and poured the floor. That’s been awesome for cleaning the coop out. They have close to 40 chickens now and we get around 2 dozens eggs a day. They’ve used the incubator and hatched a hand full of chicks. They’ve lost a couple with each batch. I believe it’s been a good investment and the kids love it. Working on another coop now as my youngest loves the silkie chickens and wants to try breeding them. She picked a bit of a difficult design but we’re getting it done.

Man that's awesome.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Just hatch our first the old fashioned way
Our one hen (easter egger) just went broody again. She's only sitting on one (unless she laid another today) so who knows.

I'm going to let her do her thing.... she'll get good and water occasionally right? Do i need to feed her anything different once/ if it hatches?

Reactions: Bigcountry40

Bigcountry40

Our one hen (easter egger) just went broody again. She's only sitting on one (unless she laid another today) so who knows.

I'm going to let her do her thing.... she'll get good and water occasionally right? Do i need to feed her anything different once/ if it hatches?
You can see how pale that hen's comb is, shes been broody for about a month and a half, she would get off her egg right before dark come out eat raise hell for about 5 minutes and go back into the coop. My wife set up a waterer and feeder for her and the baby in a dog kennel in the coop.