Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hit my first deer this morning

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I was on my way into work this morning and went around a curve and had no time to react to the 2 bucks that were entering the highway from the right side of the road.....I swerved to avoid the first one and he made it across, but the 2nd deer just ducked his head and ran directly into the side of my truck......

He stumbled around for a few moments, then all of a sudden just took off running like his hair was on fire and ran about 1/2 mile into a woods. I have to believe he will have some internal injuries as hard as he hit the side door, but who knows?

Going to take the truck in later today for an estimate.....anybody want to guess what it will cost to replace / fix this damage?

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Ouch. On the bright side at least it didn't go through the windshield and you are ok. Is it only the door? I'd say about a grand as well, eveything today is expensive. I hope you have a low deductible.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I would say about a grand and a half. New door and some paint work.

Personally i say take the interior door panel off, bang it out with a rubber mallet, and pocket the check.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Chad... I know you are one of the first guys to tag his buck every year, but this is stretching it just a bit don't you think....:smiley_coolpeace:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I would say about a grand and a half. New door and some paint work.

Personally i say take the interior door panel off, bang it out with a rubber mallet, and pocket the check.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing also, except the door is leaking quite a bit of air now and whistles when you get up to speed. Heading to the body shop shortly to find out my options. I have had this truck for over 10 years now and never had a single insurance claim on it......

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That sucks... sorry.
Amazing just much damage a deer can do and still get up and run.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Chad! Sorry to hear that. I say a couple grand give or take 500. My deer/truck collison cost 2900 to fix but most was covered.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have had two with our 2005 GMC sweeper truck. Both $2400-2900. Clean front end hits. One popped the air bags. If it stayed out of the door pillar and rear door I am saying $800-1200. It is not the door and paint that get you. It is all the trim and plastic pieces. Looks like a clean passenger door only hit.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A 2X4 in the door jam and push the top of the door in like your're trying to close it, with the window down will stop the whistling and if you take to a guy who does it on the side you'll save about half the money..... He should be able to knock that out for less then a grand... Dealership will be around 1600 - 1800 ball park figure...... If you were closer I got a buddy.....