Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

House building

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Well said that I am not hanging out with you guys, but on the plus side our floor trusses showed up today and the builder is supposed to start Monday
28E347DA-3031-4947-B80B-EE09F6E74209.jpeg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The contractor doing the log dry in was behind, his subs were behind, nothing you can do but wait.

Not knowing anything about home building, but a thing or two about business, is it possible to include service level agreement penalties in contracts? E.g. Material delivered on mm/dd. SLA penalty of -2% total invoice deduction per day thereafter?

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
Not knowing anything about home building, but a thing or two about business, is it possible to include service level agreement penalties in contracts? E.g. Material delivered on mm/dd. SLA penalty of -2% total invoice deduction per day thereafter?

I am sure it is possible, but there is so much business and so few contractors, why would a contractor sign such a contract? The builder that is doing our dry in is booked through the end of next year and now beyond. If you don’t want to wait, get out of line, the next person will.

Now this might also be because the he builder we are using only does log cabins, and I am sure there are not many people around with his level of expertise, knowledge, and experience. Sadly there are fewer and fewer craftsmen learning trades today.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I am sure it is possible, but there is so much business and so few contractors, why would a contractor sign such a contract? The builder that is doing our dry in is booked through the end of next year and now beyond. If you don’t want to wait, get out of line, the next person will.

Now this might also be because the he builder we are using only does log cabins, and I am sure there are not many people around with his level of expertise, knowledge, and experience. Sadly there are fewer and fewer craftsmen learning trades today.

We have companies sign them all the time. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. They usually don't think it'll be a problem because when they sign it they believe they can meet that deadline. If they refuse upfront then they had no intention of meeting their obligation in the first place. The difference is when the deadline starts to get close, and they're not sure if they can make it, they remember the penalty and magically they manage to meet it.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Here’s a couple of tips that I don’t know if you’re aware of or not: the sun will make the stain on the logs fade, so you’ll need to have them stained every five years or so. They do make a stain that has insecticide in it. However, it won’t help with carpenter bees...you can get carpenter bee traps online. You’ll be surprised how fast the jars fill up. Also, if you decide to caulk, do both the inside and outside...we had a couple of leaks when there was wind driven rain and since we had it caulked, no more leaks. It only takes a small crevice for the water to find its way in. Looks like it’s coming along nicely.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here’s a couple of tips that I don’t know if you’re aware of or not: the sun will make the stain on the logs fade, so you’ll need to have them stained every five years or so. They do make a stain that has insecticide in it. However, it won’t help with carpenter bees...you can get carpenter bee traps online. You’ll be surprised how fast the jars fill up. Also, if you decide to caulk, do both the inside and outside...we had a couple of leaks when there was wind driven rain and since we had it caulked, no more leaks. It only takes a small crevice for the water to find its way in. Looks like it’s coming along nicely.

A guy I talked to recently said he found out by accident that a hornet nest will keep the carpenter bees away. He had a shed that was a magnet for hundreds of them. He found an old hornet nest and decided to hang it under the eve of the shed for decoration. After that one bee a day may show up and they book it away quick.

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
Here’s a couple of tips that I don’t know if you’re aware of or not: the sun will make the stain on the logs fade, so you’ll need to have them stained every five years or so. They do make a stain that has insecticide in it. However, it won’t help with carpenter bees...you can get carpenter bee traps online. You’ll be surprised how fast the jars fill up. Also, if you decide to caulk, do both the inside and outside...we had a couple of leaks when there was wind driven rain and since we had it caulked, no more leaks. It only takes a small crevice for the water to find its way in. Looks like it’s coming along nicely.[/QUOTE
yea we are on a 4-5 year staining plan, only the south wall will need lots of attention, the front and back have porches and trees and the north will not get direct sunlight

Reactions: giles