Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many times have you been checked by a wildlife officer

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Only once while bass fishing in a canoe, in Florida. 30-40 yards off shore. He just had me hold it up an he glassed me. Said I should have a good day and left. Never while hunting anywhere.

As a land owner, I have called the GW a couple times over the years. One lead to nothing. The other cost a slob neighbor a $500. fine, loss of gun and deer, suspended hunting rights 1 year too I believe.... POS was doing a game drive ( back then it was shot gun and muzzy only. Pre-hand gun/straight wall), across our woods and walked right under my tree stand. When I asked what he was doing he just shrugged me off. Their gang ( 6-10 guys) jumped a doe and killed her shortly afterword's on my land. I took pictures of him walking coming/going by me. GW stopped by few hrs after I called, Down loaded the pictures for evidence. Guy sited a few days later...

Once. my car broke down hunting brush creek state forest. I had to walk 3 miles back to my house. The warden pulls over and asks why i am walking down the road. So i tell him the story. He makes sure my gun isn't loaded and has a plug. Then says sorry I can't give you a ride see you later. Not that i wanted one but it was just another irritation on top of a shitty day. That is actually the only time i have ever seen a warden in ohio.

Edit:
I almost forgot in Washington State i fishing for squid off of a pier. Warden checked my license and wrote me a ticket. He said because my license was in my tackle box which was at my feet and not on my person I was fishing without a license. 300 dollar fine. I took it to court and lost. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

CodyB

Massillon OH
Bunch of time fishing. 3 times hunting. One time in particular I was a kid hunting with my dad and had a GW walk up behind us while hunting asking to check our license and tags and then wanted to check the plug in our guns. So me being a kid I handed over my shot gun and asked "What happens if a deer comes while you have my gun apart" and I shit you not he said "here use this and handed me his shot gun". Greatest GW I ever met.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A couple of times in Ohio hunting public land. Checked papers and gun and went on his way.

I got a ticket in Elizabeth town Kentucky about 20 years ago for a catfish that was 1/8 inch undersized. We had been out there all night fishing and had a bunch of cats in the cooler on Ice. The fish was legal when I caught him but being dead and on ice for hours upon hours it shrank. I actually grabbed it by the head and stepped on its tail and stretched it to above legal length. Fucker still wrote me a ticket. He wasn't even a state wildlife officer but a local park security guy. Since the lake was a city park the city passed creel limits and length ordnances and required a special permit to fish the lake. The damn citation wasn't even a state wildlife violation it was some arbitrary city ordinance violation. I didn't even fight it as it was an obvious racket and I wouldn't have gotten a fair shake in that kangaroo court.

Reactions: Archertl

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
A couple of times in Ohio hunting public land. Checked papers and gun and went on his way.

I got a ticket in Elizabeth town Kentucky about 20 years ago for a catfish that was 1/8 inch undersized. We had been out there all night fishing and had a bunch of cats in the cooler on Ice. The fish was legal when I caught him but being dead and on ice for hours upon hours it shrank. I actually grabbed it by the head and stepped on its tail and stretched it to above legal length. Fucker still wrote me a ticket. He wasn't even a state wildlife officer but a local park security guy. Since the lake was a city park the city passed creel limits and length ordnances and required a special permit to fish the lake. The damn citation wasn't even a state wildlife violation it was some arbitrary city ordinance violation. I didn't even fight it as it was an obvious racket and I wouldn't have gotten a fair shake in that kangaroo court.

Fishy bastards

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
After my nephew became a game warden in TX he told his mom that “you know when you took me fishing as a kid a bunch of those fish were illegal” 😳😂

Reactions: Bankfish

Schu72

Streetsboro
Only checked once by a warden while hunting. This probably goes back almost 20 years. I was coming back to my truck on a quad a little before dark and there were 2 guys standing at my truck that was parked in a cow pasture. They'd hopped the fence and walked out to wait on me. Checked my gun and licences and that was it.

Got checked by the DNR the very first day I put our ski boat in the water. Hadn't even pushed off from the dock. This was amusing. As they were doing the safety check, a boat full of drunkards came in and rammed the dock, but they didn't bother to check them.:censored:

The only other thing I can remember was getting a warning from a sheriff's deputy out in Knox county. I was out driving deer with a college buddies crew. Evidently, someone in the group corner jumped some amishman's field and they notified the authorities. They found us back at the house having lunch and ran everybody's info.

oopsagain

The first year of plugged shotgun my buddy and I had an officer wait on us while we walked out. The guy was not paying attention or was blind. My buddy had his .357 in a holster the whole way and I was carrying my Flintlock.

Outside

While growing up in New York, on opening day of Trout Season, every year since I was 16. Most every year during Northern Zone opening day of Deer Season. Southern Zone, NYSDEC officers line the Thruway entrances, so it's a matter of running the gauntlet.

Probably every other trip to Alum, to troll for saugeye (I think these are boating office folks). Once on a float trip on the Green River (Wyoming/Utah), and twice on the North Platte, around Casper. I usually use the opportunity to attempt to gather intelligence on hatches / catch times. Mostly, I strike out, but oh well.

I prefer the Alum stuff, because honestly, that lake is a mess. Too many people die there, needlessly.